• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trouble in the Goat Locker

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
There's just about no chance Mom and Dad didn't hear rumblings of this previously. That's way to small of a ship to not hear about it.
Idk, command has a way of isolating the CO, sometimes due to his/her actions and always because people will act different in front of the front office.

Maybe the folks over a What About Bob.com are in the know. ...or not! ;)
LOL.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
^Only read the last page of the thread over there. I try to tailor my browsing on SB- much easier now after the CT split. There are definitely some angry old white dudes on that site. I'd still highly recommend it overall as a good resource for those interested in SWOdom.

CT Split?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Unless things have changed there should also not be people having sex on ships no matter the rank of the people involved, so you could have a person violating one regulation or two depending on the ranks of those involved, but my previous statement is still accurate. I would like to say if a guy keeps his d**k in his pants this wouldn't happen, but I have seen women be the ones that initiated the fraternization.
...and human nature is a difficult thing to regulate. Its in our deepest human nature to act on sexual motivations. It isn't about self control or even discipline - when you mix the realities of human nature with the confines of a deployed warship, things will happen. Ultimately (in my opinion) the rules will have to change.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and human nature is a difficult thing to regulate. Its in our deepest human nature to act on sexual motivations. It isn't about self control or even discipline - when you mix the realities of human nature with the confines of a deployed warship, things will happen. Ultimately (in my opinion) the rules will have to change.
It is also human nature to run away from danger, yet we successfully train servicemembers to overcome those natural instincts and engage enemy forces as the most effective fighting force in history. Turns out, human nature is pretty easy to regulate with the right training and a little discipline.

exNavyOffRec

I believe changing the rules would create another set of problems, leaving them as is and dealing with the rule breakers would be much better, of course those that see an issue need to speak up and not close their eyes.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

Which rules? What will they change to? Is there a way to make frat acceptable and non-detrimental to good order and discipline?

Again, pretending sex doesn't happen onboard ships is naive. Shrugging our shoulders when a CPO/SCPO sleeps with a junior Sailor, because human nature? No.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Which rules? What will they change to? Is there a way to make frat acceptable and non-detrimental to good order and discipline?

Again, pretending sex doesn't happen onboard ships is naive. Shrugging our shoulders when a CPO/SCPO sleeps with a junior Sailor, because human nature? No.
No no no, not saying that at all. We are all "good order and discipline" - I'm just saying it's an uphill battle, and it will be a recurring theme regardless of progress in other areas. And it eats up a lot of cycles.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know the personalities involved, but this smells to me like a case where the SEL onboard confused "handling it among ourselves" with "ignoring the problem". (e.g., "I talked to Smitty about what happened, he won't do it again.") Unless they're like every chiefs' mess I've ever known, there's no way the entire goat locker on a cruiser didn't know something was up with one of their own.

Zipper-control problems have brought down many an otherwise good leader. Won't be the last time. Where it gets out of hand and causes real damage to the command is when peers and superiors ignore the problem or try to make it disappear.

exNavyOffRec

Don't know the personalities involved, but this smells to me like a case where the SEL onboard confused "handling it among ourselves" with "ignoring the problem". (e.g., "I talked to Smitty about what happened, he won't do it again.") Unless they're like every chiefs' mess I've ever known, there's no way the entire goat locker on a cruiser didn't know something was up with one of their own.

Zipper-control problems have brought down many an otherwise good leader. Won't be the last time. Where it gets out of hand and causes real damage to the command is when peers and superiors ignore the problem or try to make it disappear.

I guarantee you they at least had suspicions that something was up, to what degree everyone knew who knows