• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trouble at the Air Force Academy

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminds me of the (white) kid in my Boat School class who showed up for I-Day with his hair in dreads, complete with blue & gold beads.

red_ryder

None
No worries, part of the function of basics is to hammer out dents like this guy. He'll learn sooner or later, or else.

Shame there's no gunny around though. I like the Corps style of doing these things.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of the (white) kid in my Boat School class who showed up for I-Day with his hair in dreads, complete with blue & gold beads.

That. Is. Awesome. I'm detail this summer, but second set. Oh, I hope my classmates see something similar.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a guy just like that in my last squadron - telling people he was going to mars and what not.

Was that Bucket or another wonder-boy?

Re: MiG shootdowns by B-52s, on the lighter side, don't forget the EP-3 that "outmaneuvered" the J-6 in 1v1... (at least, the Chinese gov't version of the story- I remember the implausible official reconstruction animation but I couldn't find the video of it on YouTube).
/threadjack

It was an F-8II Finback, or J-8II if you prefer, if you are talking about the incident in 2001.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
B52 tailgunners shot down 2 MIGs during the Vietnam War (Linebacker II).

56-676 MiG 21 kill, 18 December 1972.

55-083 MiG 21 kill, 24 December, 1972.

Source: http://www.nampows.org/B-52.html

The VPAF counter-claimed two B-52s shot down* as well, but USAF has never acknowledged their losses during the Christmas bombing campaign to anything other than the SA-2 Guideline.

*Pham Tuan claimed a B-52 near Hoa Binh on 27 Dec 72; the North Vietnamese calimed Vu Xuan Thieu rammed a B-2 the following night, but USAF gives credit to a F-4 Phantom that was vectored onto the MiG-21 as it was trying to attack a cell of 3 B-52s. A B-52 was downed, but USAF calims it was a SA-2 Guideline.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Fog of War........ And "MiG Panic".

" It appeared that some of the B-52s were in a 'MiG panic,' and the tail gunners immediately fired on any aircraft that drifted close to the bomber stream. At the same time the gunner fired, the bomber dropped flares to decoy the MiGs' ATOLL heat-seeking missiles, but these flares allowed the North Vietnamese to follow the track of B-52 cells simply by following the path made by their flares. When a B-52 gunner fired at an [friendly] F-4, the fighters dove away from the B-52s; after the mission, several B-52 gunners claimed 'MiG kills,' saying that as soon as they fired "the MiGs dove towards the ground.".... One of the Guam wing commanders later said, I think there were only three or four MiG engagements...."

(Page 128, The 11 Days of Christmas; Marshall Michel (a well researched, balanced, and great read.)

bevoinc

"Wow how arrogant to say you'll be the first man on Mars and how stupid. Does this guy realize the odds? ?"

The first man is still not on Mars due to some miscalc.

Мне понравилась поговорка. Но к месту ли .... не знаю