• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is just for fun but it may suprise most of you. Which Naval aircraft (I believe its true for the Air Force but am unsure) has the greatest roll rate of current aircraft. The roll rate was so great that the part of the aileron had to be reduced because it the rate was overstressing the airframe. No it's not the A-4. Answer to follow later.

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

flyin canuck

Well, I've been beaten to it, but my answer is the T-38. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its roll rate is approx. 720 deg/sec when unloaded to 0 G.

flyin canuck

Yeah, that was my thinking too. T-38 vs. F-5....okay, different intakes, slightly different wing...but their performance numbers have gotta be close.

Also, Frumby said "(I believe its true for the Air Force but am unsure)" which indicates its a type operated by both services...unless I misinterpreted that.

O-man

My Marine gouge says that its the F-8. and if not that, maybe the f-11. But pop-dukes is not sure, its an educated guess. Semper Fi, Lcpl. O-man
(just edited this after I reread it- "curent aircraft"...Oh)- well the F-18 is fly by wire, so its not that- I dont know at all.

Edited by - O-man on 02/23/2002 19:00:42

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OK here is my guess.

First of all the current day aircraft that both both services have would be the F-5 and F-16. The AF and Navy had both of these aircraft. However, I believe the Navy got rid of the F-16N due to wing stress problems. Over G'd because it was used only in air to air as an agressor. The F-16 being a fly by wire had a roll rate of something like 540 degrees a sec. The second airframe would be the F-5. Both the Navy and AF had these. I am not sure the AF still has these but they do have the T-38 and AT-38. THe F-5 and both T-38 versions are almost identical. Except the F-5 is single seat and very few mods. The roll rate of this airframe is 720 degrees per sec. You can really wind that plane up! I dont recall any other plane that can roll like the F-5/T-38, so that would be my guess.

Dave

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok, here it goes and I can't wait to hear the rhetoric. The winner is the mighty S-3 Viking. Due to the long straight wing and huge ailerons in created an incredible roll moment. Problem was one roll would place the aircraft into spiral divergence that was difficult to recover. The roll also caused vicious airplane overstresses because, obviously, the bird wasn't design to maneuver like that. The aircraft's ailerons were modified, actually shortened, to compensate for the overstress. Reason I said Naval is because the T-37 which has a greater roll rate then any other Air Force aircraft. Between the two, I don't know. Just trivia but its interesting. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Mahler

The way you worded your trivia question it sounded like an aircraft that is currently used by both the navy and air force.

James

Tomcatter14

Frumpy, good question! I personally don't know the answer to it...but I'm a little confused about the S-3 answer. The S-3 doesn't have ailerons...it has spoilers just like the Tomcat. So I'm not sure about that answer...I do know that I have flown an F-5 and its roll rate will make your head spin. It is a very fun plane to fly also...from start up to taxi takes you about 10 minutes. Very minimal start checks and it performs amazingly. Anyways not to doubt your answer...just thought I'd add some info.

Tomcatter14

Status
Not open for further replies.