• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TriCare Dental

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
I'm putting this in the spouse's corner hoping to get spouse response, but any information can help.

My wife and I are looking into TriCare's Dental program. What is your (your significant other's) experience with it?

Is there a better dental insurance to use for military dependents?

My wife is currently unemployed, so insurance through work obviously is not an option.

The TriCare policy sounds alright, and I'm sure there are plenty of dentists near military bases that we could utilize, but I'd like to see what kind of feedback I could get before enrolling her in the program.

I'm not sure of the cost of services (fillings, etc.) so I would like to know if the 20% cost share is a good deal or not.

Thanks,

Sinatra

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My wife is on the Dental as well. She paid $13 for a silver filling, and $45 for a tooth colored filling. It should cost less than $30 for a cleaning, and it will vary from office to office, so get an estimate up front. The Tricare benefits pamphlet is clear as mud, so don't be afraid to go into your nearest Tricare office and have them break it down Barney style for you.:D

Most dentists offices will work their prices for you because they know what they will get from Tricare. there are freakin' dentists everywhere, so that should not be an issue. I think Tricare Prime with the dental is a great deal, and I would hesitate before you get secondary insurance as Tricare will try to be the last to pay and you will get into fighting billing and usually losing.
Just my experiences and second hand gouge.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
My wife had dental coverage for herself and the kids w/ her civilian job. I went ahead and got dental for the family under Tricare (actually United Concordia), primarily because the wording of it enabled us to claim a max of $1500 per kid for braces, in addition to her dental plan. Since I knew both kids needed braces, it was a guaranteed $3k posted against the brace costs (metered out quarterly) for something like $28 per month premium.

Since our family dentist accepts Tricare dental, it's a no brainer as we did not have to shop for a new dentist after several years w/ the same guy, who also happens to be a drinking bud.

MandaK

I have the United Concordia/TriCare Dental policy. I think that approximately 11 dollars a month is deducted from my husbands pay for dental insurance. I get two cleanings a year and one set of bite wing xrays done at no additional charge. I get full dental xrays done every 3 years at no additional charge. However, I am going to need my wisdom teeth pulled and they will only cover 60% of the procedure.

Your wife would be able to pick a civilian dentist in town (as long as they accept United Concordia). Sometimes dependents are able to be seen by a military dentist for oral surgery...if the dentist has openings and is willing to do the procedure. Then you can avoid paying 40% out of pocket.

If your wife later on gets a job that has dental insurance, she can use both insurance plans and United Concordia will pick up what her work dental insurance won't pay.

Hope this helps.