• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Treatment of NFOs in the fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fmr1833 said:
I wouldn't really take too much advice on NFO's from a guy who never flew with one - war vet or not.

On another note, why do so many of you who are applying feel it is necessary to validate your selection to or application for an NFO slot by saying something like "...my eyes weren't good enough to fly" or whatever? Being an NFO rocks and being a pilot rocks. Neither position requires a caveat or an apology. If you want to fly and you get a seat thank God for the opportunity and grab whatever seat is offered.
So, would you say the same about SWO?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:

Unfortunately for years as you may remember...if you attrited from flight school you went SWO. Not good image PR for the the whole SWO community. We (aviators) used to joke that no SWO ever failed out of SWOS and became an SNA/SNFO by default. The reverse sadly was not true.

Now aviation attrites go "GA" general aviation and basically get sent to a flat top (CVN, LHA, LHD) ship to do some sort of div O job until they can select a community. Or get out after 2 years or so.

Good to see the SWO community become more selective.

R/
G

Kolja

Git-r-done
Brett327 said:
Alright, that's it! Turn in your patch! ;)

Brett

You should have seen the look on a squadron XO's face last month when he asked me for help on StriPP and I told him I've never used it :D

(StriPP - a computer program that does in 30 minutes what Kolja, the back of a napkin, and a bit of zen can figure out in 5).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kolja said:
You should have seen the look on a squadron XO's face last month when he asked me for help on StriPP and I told him I've never used it :D

(StriPP - a computer program that does in 30 minutes what Kolja, the back of a napkin, and a bit of zen can figure out in 5).
AMEN brother! I HATE StriPP and never use it. Sure, it's impresive as a JO cruise project, but as for actual use, it is a complete piece of junk. Shoot on range, baby! BTW, how did Chick(133) do at ME? I couldn't make it up due to a scheduling conflict, but sounds like all I missed was some salt stains on my flight suit. :eek:

Brett

Kolja

Git-r-done
Brett327 said:
AMEN brother! I HATE StriPP and never use it. Sure, it's impresive as a JO cruise project, but as for actual use, it is a complete piece of junk. Shoot on range, baby! BTW, how did Chick(133) do at ME? I couldn't make it up due to a scheduling conflict, but sounds like all I missed was some salt stains on my flight suit. :eek:

Brett

Chick did fine. For the record, ME sucks a lot less when you're NOT a student.

There were more than just salt stains - me and Clam Shell doing "quality control" inspections at Gilleys - and me finding out emprically that on Saturday night Gilley's doesn't close till 5AM Sunday.

retread

I was a NFO for six years and to be honest any FO that says they have never felt like a second class citizen at some point is probably lying. That being said any chance to fly in a naval aircraft in any role is a privilege and one of the best jobs in the world.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:

To be completely honest I have a $hit-ton of respect for SWO's. I couldn't do it...period. But they are a different breed - no jokes here - just truth. I know we like to boast about our jobs and whatnot but there is something about sailing and fighting a ship that I think is amazing. I thank God that I'm doing what I'm doing but SWO's come from an amazing lineage and more power to them for that. It's a shame that they were $&it on for so long.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
retread said:
I was a NFO for six years and to be honest any FO that says they have never felt like a second class citizen at some point is probably lying.
I would say that most Prowler ECMOs (including yours truly) would disagree, but in our case it's 3 vs. 1, so most of the time, the pilot gets looked down upon. We call it an ECMO-centric community. :D

Brett

Kolja

Git-r-done
retread said:
I was a NFO for six years and to be honest any FO that says they have never felt like a second class citizen at some point is probably lying. That being said any chance to fly in a naval aircraft in any role is a privilege and one of the best jobs in the world.

I'm with Brett on this one. The only time I've ever come close to "feeling like a second class citizen" is when some schmuck with an inferiority complex tries to drag me down with him.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Gotta go with Brett too on this one. Of course, Hummers are NFO centered. I have never felt like a second class citizen. Nerd, oh hell yeah. But second class citizen, never.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Agreed. Nothing like putting a non E-2 pilot in the back of a Hummer and watching his brain melt in the first two minutes as all the tracks get generated. That's usually when I start looking for my sandwich. Not long before they want to go back up front where it's "simple." We're generally fairly amused. :) "You guys have more than 2 radios?"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
Agreed. Nothing like putting a non E-2 pilot in the back of a Hummer and watching his brain melt in the first two minutes as all the tracks get generated. That's usually when I start looking for my sandwich. Not long before they want to go back up front where it's "simple." We're generally fairly amused. :) "You guys have more than 2 radios?"
I heard you guys can assign a specific radio to either the left or right audio channel in your helmet. Any truth to that or is that just RR scuttlebutt?

Brett

dustydog

pilot
As helo guys we don't have NFO's but you would be hard pressed to find a helo guy who didn't have a lot of respect for his enlisted crewmen. I never looked down on my crewmen because they were "just E's". Every member of the crew is important. Even single seat guys need help from someone. Anyone who treats their crew members, E's or O's, like a piece of **** is probably one themselves.

Dusty

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Brett327 said:
I heard you guys can assign a specific radio to either the left or right audio channel in your helmet. Any truth to that or is that just RR scuttlebutt?

Brett
It's a request for the desired future comm system but not yet. In the meantime we're all still going schizo back there. 11 radios, 3 data links, and a brewing case of dementia. Sad thing is you find yourself thinking, "If I just had one more radio I could..."

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dustydog said:
As helo guys we don't have NFO's

That's because helos are extra hard to fly and require two pilots...unlike an F/A-18 which is easy and only needs one pilot?

r/
G

Status
Not open for further replies.