• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Travel to OCS in a non-traditional "POV"

VTFlyer

So I have requested to have POV travel to OCS. I am prior military so I have some expereience with government travel and what you can/cannot do.

If I fly with a friend in a private aircraft (C182) and keep my fuel receipts for the flight up there (NC -RI), would the Navy reimburse me? It will be gas purchased just not from a 7/11 on the corner. The cost will also be considerably higher which I don't expect the Navy to cover fully, but it would be nice to get a partial payment for it.

Anyone have experience with this? I know from using DTS that private aircraft is an authorized travel mode in some cases but I never attempted to use it.

Renegade One

None
Others would have "the right answer"…but my educated guess is that they will cap your POV travel costs at the $.XX cents/mile traveled…just as if you were driving an auto. I was never asked for "actual costs" on a POV PCS…just where did you start and where did you end. My info is admittedly dated...

If that's how you want to go…I'd say do it and take whatever they give you and be happy. Sounds like a great trip…unless you're only flying from Boston… ;)

VTFlyer

Yeah it should be a fun trip! It will be nice to get a long flight in before I'm out of the cockpit for a few months. I have the money to pay for it so that's not the issue, but if Uncle Sam wants to give me some back, hell yeah!

FYI for those interested, my route of flight is KGSO (Greensboro, NC) - N14 (Flying W Airport) - KUUU (Newport State Airport)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
There are different rates for airplane reimbursement...you receive these when you do your travel claim. Several IPs here in Meridian fly their private planes on det in lieu of flying commercial because the rates are cheaper for the command to pay for.

Call PSD in Newport and make sure you are authorized to use private air travel to arrive for OCS...it they say yes then do it.

AirGuy

Speaking of travel to OCS.

Is it ok to travel to OCS in a non-American car..
I would buy an american car, but I'm a broke college student..so I'm stuck with what I have:(

Does anyone really care though?

I'm just unsure what the attitude is towards this topic

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of travel to OCS.

Is it ok to travel to OCS in a non-American car..
I would buy an american car, but I'm a broke college student..so I'm stuck with what I have:(
Most OCS aspirants are in the same financial state...no whining.:rolleyes:

Does anyone really care though?
NO!

I'm just unsure what the attitude is towards this topic
The only banned autos are the '32 Cord, '28 Bentley, & '58 Ford Edsels.:(
Edsel 1958.jpg
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
From the DOD: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/otherratesMile.cfm
Mileage rates for

Car: $0.565
Motorcycle: $0.535
Airplane: $1.33

Mileage (Allowance) for using a privately owned conveyance (POC) for local/TDY and PCS travel are reimbursed as a rate per mile in lieu of reimbursement of actual POC operating expenses. The following rates are the basic TDY mileage rates for the three POC types (Car, Motorcycle, and Airplane) and the PCS MALT rate for which the government provides a mileage allowance.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
My DI drove an Infiniti, they don't care about car nationality...however the kid who drove a Fiat got put on his face and ridiculed relentlessly...deservedly.

USAF_WX2USN

My DI drove an Infiniti, they don't care about car nationality...however the kid who drove a Fiat got put on his face and ridiculed relentlessly...deservedly.

I wonder how much flack I'll get with my car still having Air Force plates on it ;)