• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Travel Abroad.

sickboy

pilot
So I'm considering going on Birthright to Israel next summer, but a big part of me wants to take an extra day or two and explore a little bit of the West Bank, or Gaza (I don't trust the media anymore and I want to see what the real deal is over there). Anyway, I would have commissioned by then, and I'm wondering what possible complications there would be with the Navy. Has anyone here ever done or heard of someone doing anything like this before? Would it be a good idea to push off commissioning for this, I can do that easily according to my advisor by pushing one of my classes to the summer.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So I'm considering going on Birthright to Israel next summer, but a big part of me wants to take an extra day or two and explore a little bit of the West Bank, or Gaza (I don't trust the media anymore and I want to see what the real deal is over there). Anyway, I would have commissioned by then, and I'm wondering what possible complications there would be with the Navy. Has anyone here ever done or heard of someone doing anything like this before? Would it be a good idea to push off commissioning for this, I can do that easily according to my advisor by pushing one of my classes to the summer.

Seems that this is a religious observance and the navy SHOULD allow you to go. From my limited opinion, I don't see why being commissioned would hinder you from making the trip. There are certain rules that you should follow, such as using a civilian passport, don't travel in uniform, etc. Your advisor or the ROTC unit at your school would be able to give you more info on that.

Lots of good travel info here...

http://travel.state.gov/

sickboy

pilot
Seems that this is a religious observance and the navy SHOULD allow you to go. From my limited opinion, I don't see why being commissioned would hinder you from making the trip. There are certain rules that you should follow, such as using a civilian passport, don't travel in uniform, etc. Your advisor or the ROTC unit at your school would be able to give you more info on that.

It was more of the Palenstinian part I was worried about. Thanks.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
On a side note, I did Birthright last December through Hillel and it was AMAZING. The trip actually takes you through parts of the West Bank (Masada is in the West Bank). It's Gaza that you have to be concerned about. I wouldn't worry so much about the Navy allowing you in as the IDF allowing you in unless you're a journalist or attached to a humanitarian org.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
^^I agree. Talk to your military advisor/Chain of Command and take a look at the website posted above. It will give you info on visas, hostile areas, and who they are/are not letting in the country. Make sure to use common sense on that side of the world and "blend in" and you will be fine. Either way, I don't think that you should postpone your commissioning.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
It was more of the Palenstinian part I was worried about. Thanks.

You shouldn't have as much a problem being in West Bank as in Gaza.That said, you WILL have 'issues' with the border control on the Israeli side. Getting back in will be a bitch and a half due to lines and heat. Bring water when you're about to cross.

PS, Don't wear any of that birthright stuff if/when you do go into the PA lands. They might just have an opinion. If you can get a guide, it's recommended, if you can't, try to have a friend who speaks arabic/ is Arab. If that isn't an option, be REALLLLLLLY friendly to whomever you meet.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I would talk to your Chain of Command about going into Gaza. At some point in the future if you get a TS your interviewer might wonder why you took a stroll in Palestine.

Something to consider, as Gaza is probably not a standard tourist destination.

anghockey

I would talk to your Chain of Command about going into Gaza. At some point in the future if you get a TS your interviewer might wonder why you took a stroll in Palestine.

Something to consider, as Gaza is probably not a standard tourist destination.

Yeah, and you're probably going to have to have someone back you up. The last time I was here in India, my friends and I were in Punjab and were literally close enough to go to Lahore for lunch. According to my contacts at the US Embassy in Delhi, saying you just feel like going to Pakistan generally raises many eyebrows.

I imagine it would be doubly so for Gaza.

I think you should probably stick to exploring the West Bank and avoid the myriad complications of going into Gaza as someone who's not a journalist or with an NGO.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're supposed to go get a AT/FP briefing whenever you travel OCONUS. Usually it consists of you going to some secret-squirrel building (at Oceana it was the SFWT building) through lots of locked doors, Get Smart-style, to sit down and flip through a ppt briefing. I went when going to Singapore and Dubai; kinda felt like it was overkill, but learnin' don't hurt. Going to Israel, it'd be a good idea.

The only people I've heard of the Navy refusing to let travel to higher-threat areas were guys on the PRP. Of course, your command doesn't have to sign your chit; it's just whether they're more worried about you getting kidnapped/blown up, or getting a call from your Congressperson because they refused to let you make aliya.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Did a similar trip in my Middie days. I didn't do birthright but a program through the Anti-Defamation League. You will probably get to drive through the West Bank on the way to Masada (It's not actually in the West Bank, but it's close). You will get to drive though check points and see what that is like, but I would recommend not actually trying to walk around and talk to people, just for safety's sake, at least in the West Bank. Stay away from Gaza, it's just not worth it.

Try and make yourself look as non-military as possible. I grew my hair out and grew a gotiee before I went. See..
n17500987_30047076_5832.jpg

Have a good time and don't be stupid (i.e. get blackout drunk in Tel Aviv). It is a great country and the humus is great!

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I would recommend not actually trying to walk around and talk to people, just for safety's sake, at least in the West Bank. Stay away from Gaza, it's just not worth it. .

To be fair, if he makes it into the West Bank, the majority of people will probably be delighted to have someone they can show their side of things to, if he doesn't say thinks like "I'm a Jew in the United States Military." Maybe he'll even get invited by someone to have a sit down for food and shisha and whatnot. It's getting caught in the crossfire of some stupidity that he's gotta watch for*.

*Both dinner and gunshot examples brought to you from firsthand experience by a dumbass who believed his own advice by the name Jynx

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

and here:

DoD Foreign Clearance Guide
https://www.fcg.pentagon.mil/

You'll need to view it from a .mil domain since it asks for login/password from non-.mil. As always, see your chain of command. The travel office at your PSD should know about this publication, but it might fall back on you to know about it.

travel.state.gov applies to citizens and residents, FCG applies to servicemembers (and aircraft, ships, etc.).

There are personnel entry requirements specific to pretty much every country in the world. There's a classified supplement too (imagine that...). Not that I know what you need to do for going to Israel, just make sure you check the pub.

Good luck!

anghockey

+1 on mentioning growing out your hair. Two of my buddies in the Marines went on (separate) Birthright trips over the winter. They both grew out their hair.

One of them was on my trip (classmate of mine), just commissioned. Wore USMC stuff EVERYWHERE, even wore his dog tags into the Dead Sea (I asked him if he thought he was going to slip on the deck and die and nobody would be able to recognize him). This, obviously, it not advisable.

I'm still a bit wary about the Gaza idea, but you can rent a motorcycle and go over and explore Jordan, which is what one of my USMC friends did. If you're still intent on visiting Gaza, and you get permission to visit, just say you're a student.

I grew out my hair too. Hahaha. Somehow, not the same.
n1614060004_86354_399.jpg

That's the Syrian border. A heads up if you do intend on ever visiting Syria, you will need a second passport issued that does not have an Israel stamp in it.

Have fun! Drink Goldstar, but stay FAR FAR away from Alaska (you'll know what I'm talking about). Even if you don't get to go to Gaza, extend your trip. They pack a lot into those ten days, and I left wanting to come back and spend another six months. You only get to (obv) see the Jewish stuff, so hopefully you can get some time to see the Christian and Muslim sites, as well as actually hang out in Tel Aviv.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Uhoh, I hope this dosen't turn into a "Post Pics of Yourself in Israel Thread..."

Try and hook up with a group which is older as well, not really sure how the whole process works. As a commissioned officer you (hopefully) are planning on bringing a mature outlook to the trip. I was lucky in that the group I went with, we had to apply for it. We were there to learn and really wanted to take advantage of the trip as much as we could. I saw a few birthright groups there with young college kids who seemed more interested in the social aspects of the trip, if you get my jist.

If you can, try and see if you can talk to any IDF soldiers. There are interesting to talk to as all young adults (minus the ultra religious) serve in the army. The big thing I got from them was the officer/enlisted separation is not as big a deal there as in America. I was there shortly after the Gaza pullout and talked to an AF LT who worked on their satellites. He was put in charge of an army platoon and had to forcibly take people from their own houses, and order others to do the same. Talk about a leadership challenge.

And yeah, don't wear all your Navy shirts either...

Just a side note, I have heard that jews deployed to the middle east put "No Preference" on their dog tags. As having Jewish on their might make things interesting if captured.