• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Transitioning to SELRES after 2xFOS

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
So, @Randy Daytona made a good point, what are the checks in the blocks that SELRES looks for? Types of Billets? Training types? JPME? Any general advice for getting ahead?

Again, thank you to all for the answers, this thread is really helpful!

-MAMAL

As nobody has answered, I don't want to leave you hanging.

Big picture: if you want to make O-6, you have to take command somewhere. (that said, I have several Marine friends who made full bird without command)

As you work your way up, you can take ADSW for IA's - staff tours are looked at favorably, especially joint tours.
If you have 2 weeks here or there, you can do exercises and/or boards

JPME-1 is good, Advanced JPME will really set you apart - that you are willing to endure that pain...
Master's degrees are looked upon favorably.

Couple of things to help you out: I believe the Association of the United States Navy can help immensely - I believe they even have retired officers who look at your fitreps and can tell you where you stand and what you need to do. http://ausn.org/

Also, if you do a staff tour (or just in general), make sure you annote the work you did by having it listed as NOBC's and AQD's.

Finally, look at the NAVADMINS for the message traffic concerning upcoming promotion boards - usually it will tell you on those messages the precepts - i.e., what does the Navy consider important.

As I stated previously, the younger guys still in SelRes can give you a more up to date view but I think these are generic and universal enough as a start.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Anybody know anything about these historical archivist billets I've stumbled upon on JOApply? I'm picturing you being like the Battle E paperwork guy on steroids for whatever command your attached to. Anyone have any gouge?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
So they "meet NHHC mission requirements" (or something like that), but they're tied to certain commands. I saw one a while back for one of the reserve SEAL teams and there is one out there for C10F as well as a couple others. I'm wondering if your the history gatherer guy, and that's pretty much the gig, or if the archivist part is actually a small piece of it.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
if the supported command is NHHC, you'll be working out of the navy yard in NHHC's archives, organizing and such.

If it's an operational command, requirements will be set locally. You might be working with fleet historian, whichever would be cool. NHHC has some billets that go out to returning big decks to capture histories and lessons learned, which is a new thing.