• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transiting VFR Navarre/Holley to Panama City

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Anybody have practical experience doing this in the T-weiner? I want to do it tomorrow for a VNAV, and was wondering what to expect with the Part 93 Special Airspace thing. Just zorch through as long as I'm up with Eglin Aproach or is it harder than that?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Not sure if this counts, but I did it during IFS to go from PNS to Destin. It's on the chart, we just called Eglin Approach on the frequency listed and got clearance for the east-west transition. They gave us a squak code, told us to stay south of the beach, and maintain altitude. Biggest problem was their craptastic radio. We could barely hear them.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Pretty much... the might hand you off from freq to freq along the way.

If you want to look like you know what you're doing, try to remember which purple flag symbol is by which landmark along the beachline and what each is called, then try to pay enough attention your position in flight that you can quickly guestimate distance/direction to each one... kinda like being able to find that chicken ranch or the railroad tracks on your solo check. The five-letter Vxxxx GPS VFR waypoints can be very handy but so is the windshield, your eyes, and the chart. Ginormous hint for you: some of the P'cola controllers like to ask, "Are you familiar with 'VARRE'?" For some reason this fix isn't on the sectional anymore but it's clear in black and white on the IFR chart (and oddly enough it is not a VFR waypoint). If/when you get asked that inflight, you can respond with an awkward pregnant pause on the radio or hopefully something a little more dignified :)

(Is there contract gas in Panama City if you're going there?)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Pretty much... the might hand you off from freq to freq along the way.

If you want to look like you know what you're doing, try to remember which purple flag symbol is by which landmark along the beachline and what each is called, then try to pay enough attention your position in flight that you can quickly guestimate distance/direction to each one... kinda like being able to find that chicken ranch or the railroad tracks on your solo check. The five-letter Vxxxx GPS VFR waypoints can be very handy but so is the windshield, your eyes, and the chart. Ginormous hint for you: some of the P'cola controllers like to ask, "Are you familiar with 'VARRE'?" For some reason this fix isn't on the sectional anymore but it's clear in black and white on the IFR chart (and oddly enough it is not a VFR waypoint). If/when you get asked that inflight, you can respond with an awkward pregnant pause on the radio or hopefully something a little more dignified :)

(Is there contract gas in Panama City if you're going there?)

I know there's contract gas at Panama City, if you go there Outlaw barbecue is absolutely awesome, and they have a drive-thru if you need to use that. Just keep in mind, there are usually a lot of helo guys going along the beach there, it's also a very common route for our solo rides, so keep an eye out for 'em :) Oh yeah, I would also have the destin freq available, they'll have you switch to the ctaf enroute along the beach.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys. Yeah, I used to be really good at chart to ground stuff, but haven't used it in a long time so we'll see how that goes. VARRE just looks like a random intersection south of the beach that might be an IAF for something. Not terminating in Panama City. Just gonna be "that guy" going VFR in the Tyndall MOAs on the way to GA.

Smok'n Pig in Valdosta is insane good.

What altitude do the helos usually roll at?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Solo helos are supposed to be at 1k, but the ones with instructors are probably around 500ft.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks guys. Yeah, I used to be really good at chart to ground stuff, but haven't used it in a long time so we'll see how that goes. VARRE just looks like a random intersection south of the beach that might be an IAF for something. Not terminating in Panama City. Just gonna be "that guy" going VFR in the Tyndall MOAs on the way to GA.

IIRC, VARRE is the Navarre Bridge. For NFO primary studs, if you're making up a route to the east and the weather is clear, try to have VARRE as one of your points as you can see the damn thing, makes a mark on top call a little easier ;)

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
My last flight of Primary was a day/night VNAV out-and-in to New Orleans...definitely one of the best experiences I've had flying in the Navy so far. Have fun man!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Not sure if this counts, but I did it during IFS to go from PNS to Destin. It's on the chart, we just called Eglin Approach on the frequency listed and got clearance for the east-west transition. They gave us a squak code, told us to stay south of the beach, and maintain altitude. Biggest problem was their craptastic radio. We could barely hear them.

This is probably the best way to do it. I don't think you technically need clearance for the east-west corridor (unlike the north-south), but it's been a long time since I've flown in that area. I'd just give them a heads up that you'll be down there. Easy.

Random Task

pilot
My route was NFJ, VARRE, DTS, VPLIP, PAM. I was continuing to TLH so I proceeded to A51, AAF, X13, TERES, TLH. Plug it into skyvector to show you a visual of the route.

Filed the plan and got flight following the whole way. As long as your talking to someone you can transit. IIRC we flew at 1500

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
My route was NFJ, VARRE, DTS, VPLIP, PAM. I was continuing to TLH so I proceeded to A51, AAF, X13, TERES, TLH. Plug it into skyvector to show you a visual of the route.

Filed the plan and got flight following the whole way. As long as your talking to someone you can transit. IIRC we flew at 1500

That's pretty much exactly what I did until we turned NE at VPLIP. It was no sweat. I'm a little amazed at how much ado is made about it on the chart. There's even a website to go to and a course you can take. Are people that dumb?

Random Task

pilot
That's pretty much exactly what I did until we turned NE at VPLIP. It was no sweat. I'm a little amazed at how much ado is made about it on the chart. There's even a website to go to and a course you can take. Are people that dumb?

Do you really wanna know the answer to that question?