• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TRANSFERRING TO RESERVES AFTER 20.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
Hello everyone. I've been searching through the threads and was trying to figure out if it's possible to transfer to the active reserve after serving 20 years on active duty. I commissioned at my 14 year mark. However I'd like to retire as an officer which requires me to serve 10 years commissioned putting me at 24 years total. However it would be nice if I could transfer to the reserves after completing 20 years of service and serve the remaining 4 in the reserves before I retire.

Secondly, if I were able to transfer to the reserves at 20 and retire at 24 would I still have to wait until I'm 60 to receive retirement pay?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello everyone. I've been searching through the threads and was trying to figure out if it's possible to transfer to the active reserve after serving 20 years on active duty. I commissioned at my 14 year mark. However I'd like to retire as an officer which requires me to serve 10 years commissioned putting me at 24 years total. However it would be nice if I could transfer to the reserves after completing 20 years of service and serve the remaining 4 in the reserves before I retire.

Secondly, if I were able to transfer to the reserves at 20 and retire at 24 would I still have to wait until I'm 60 to receive retirement pay?

Short answer is no.

The high TIS is a big part why officer communities are limiting commissioning programs beyond 10.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

You wouldn't have to wait until 60 to collect that retirement. As soon as you have 20 years worth of active duty service (called TAFMS- Total Active Federal Military Service) points you rate an AD retirement. Note that inactive duty periods don't count for this until you have 7200ish total active points, then everything counts.

Depending on what you do or what you're willing to do, you might be able to find an Air National Guard unit that will take you as a part timer for 4 years. Get your 4 good years as an officer, retire with 20 years and a few days worth of TAFMS and start collecting your paycheck right away.

It's also worth noting that there really isn't going to be a big pay bump for your retirement, it's still a high 3 system, so the only thing that will change is what it says on your ID card.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
You wouldn't have to wait until 60 to collect that retirement. As soon as you have 20 years worth of active duty service (called TAFMS- Total Active Federal Military Service) points you rate an AD retirement. Note that inactive duty periods don't count for this until you have 7200ish total active points, then everything counts.

Depending on what you do or what you're willing to do, you might be able to find an Air National Guard unit that will take you as a part timer for 4 years. Get your 4 good years as an officer, retire with 20 years and a few days worth of TAFMS and start collecting your paycheck right away.

It's also worth noting that there really isn't going to be a big pay bump for your retirement, it's still a high 3 system, so the only thing that will change is what it says on your ID card.
Thanks for your input...I'm trying to get as much information as I can to weigh my options.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Start looking for a reserve unit right away. I’m not sure about the Navy, but the Guard (both army and air) are really quite open about walk-in’s. Assuming you are commissioned in some sort of medical field (especially if you are a P.A.) the army national guard will welcome you with open arms in almost every state across the nation. As a former FMF doc nothing you see in the army will be new or unusual. Good luck in your search.

The others are spot on about retirement but to make it simple:
1. Find a reserve/guard unit that will take you.
2. Do the admin paperwork - on both sides - and make sure the reserves count every point you have earned.
3. Report to your first drill, mark time, and retire when you hit that magic mark!

Good luck.