• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transferring from community college into nrotc

dag27

icon1.gif
Transferring into NROTC from Community College

Hello,

I am in kind of a unique situation. I just finished my first year of school doing afrotc and have decided that I would like to switch to navy rotc either navy or marine option. I have looked into the plc and due to financial reasons among others that's not the ideal option at the moment. Another option that I have is coming back to a community college for a year until I have enough credits (60) to transfer into a state school such as UCSD. I would like to do a cross town with the nrotc unit at USD.

My question is, if I decide to go the community college to UCSD route, how limited are my options when I begin as a junior in the program? Would it be more difficult to obtain the career path I choose as my number one (aviation) when competing with midshipmen in the unit who have been there for 4 years? I have a 3.8 in aerospace engineering and I can do well in in the pft or prt. I also took the ASTB when I was applying for the plc and got a 8/8/9 65. How much would a year of community college hurt me when I begin nrotc? Ideally I would like to do nrotc while in community college but I'm not sure that's an option.

Thank you in advance.

Daniel

cameron172

pilot
I transferred from a community college and joined NROTC as a sophomore. I didn't get the scholarship but was able to commission through the college program/advanced standing path in three years and was selected for an aviation slot. There were also 2-year scholarship midshipmen in our unit that came in their junior year and were able to get their number one designator too.

All I know is both paths are doable. Talking to the NROTC UCSD recruiting officer would be your best bet.

Renegade One

None
Stuff. Daniel
The "San Diego Consortium" of NROTC is superb. I think they "cover" USD, UCSD, Point Loma Nazarene University, SDSU and Cal State University San Marcos. Their proximity to all San Diego Navy and Marine Corps installations and Camp Pendleton gives you a fantastic exposure to a wide variety of "options" as you move down the path. I can't speak to your question about joining as a Junior..others can and will. Good luck!

Red_

None
I did community college at the beginning of nrotc and then transferred into the 4 year university. Check to see if the area nrotc has a community college as one of its cross town universities.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Dan, I attended both Mesa and Miramar community college for 2 years before I got picked up for the nrotc scholarship. IMO, being a transfer student had no impact on whether someone got their 1st choice or not. In my graduation class, nearly everyone got their 1st choice. Just study hard, get good grades and pass the medical exam. It also wouldnt hurt to express interest to the Aviation LT in the ROTC program. I remember asking lots of questions about aviation selection, flight school, aviation pipeline, etc.

From the USD NROTC website:
Can I be a member of NROTC San Diego while attending a local area Community College.A: No. You must be a student at USD, UCSD, SDSU, CSUSM, or PLNU to be part of the NROTC program. If you are at a community college, you can apply for the 2 Year NROTC Scholarship by February 15 of your sophomore year. You must also apply and get accepted to one of the 5 above mentioned universities.

Below is the link with more info and FAQs. Click on Future Students > Midshipmen
http://www.sandiego.edu/nrotc/

Best of luck!

r/ Spanish

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Daniel,
By the start of your Junior year, you must either be on scholarship or be a College Programmer with Advanced Standing; otherwise, you will not be allowed into the NROTC. Like Fezz said, you really need to talk to the NROTC advisors to see what options are there for you. I don't recall ever having a 2 year scholarship or advanced standing Marine Option. The USMC path, other than PLC, is much harder to join late.

-ea6bflyr ;)

dag27

Thanks for the advice. I will be meeting with a Lt from the USD NROTC unit this week and will explore all the options.

dag27

Now I'm leaning towards transferring to U of A and starting up Nrotc right away in the fall. This way I won't have to take a year off from rotc and try to get back in after community college.

ea6bflyr, thanks for the advice. I'm going to stick with the Navy option to boost my chances of a 2 yr scholarship or advanced standing.