• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer from Marines to Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pltReed

Is it possible to transfer into the Navy after you've completed your time in the Marines, as an aviator? Would you have to seperate and then re-join, or could you do this inter-service-like?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
If you are talking from active duty Marines to active duty Navy, it depends on the needs of the Navy. With the Navy in a continuous drawdown of personnel, it would be tough.

On the other hand, if you are talking about active duty Marines to the Navy Reserves (or Air Force Reserves or Air National Guard), sure, it happens all the time - its not a big deal.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I am by no means the authority on stuff like this, but judging from the fact that the Navy is getting rid of pilots, and asking people to transfer to the marines. I would say that right now there is no way you could go from marine aviation to navy aviation.

pltReed

Thank you - the website was exactly what I was looking for. :) I'm not tryign to transfer now, but I was wondering if it was even possible, for sometime way in the future.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
bch,

Are they letting SNAs transfer to the Marine? If so, do you know when (i.e. API, Primary, Advanced?) Thanks for the info.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
yes they are, I don't no any details though. I had no desire to do it, so I closed my ears and hoped it would not happen to me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pltReed said:
Is it possible to transfer into the Navy after you've completed your time in the Marines, as an aviator? Would you have to seperate and then re-join, or could you do this inter-service-like?

Yes it is, on a case to case basis. Since it is rare, they would probably look at the individuals qualifications and if they fit a Navy need, then they might let you do it. One of my department heads did it, they needed Prowler ECMO's at the time. I also know of a Marine who did it to get in the SEAL's. The Marines were not happy and made it difficult but with his initial commitment up, they had to let him go. He did become a SEAL.

sensesfail

senesfail
what about going from Marine to Air force. and not into reserves. say full time Marines to full time Air force. could you transfer then

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Trading in your uniform for a blue suit, is a tough transition. A few of my dads FedEx buds were Marines, and went into the AF guard. Even though they flew F-15’s and 16’s, they were reluctant to divulge that information. People transfer from the Marines because of financial and family reasons, not because they want to.
Joining the Marines with intentions of switching to the AF is the most absurd idea I’ve ever heard. It’s sort of along the same lines as wanting a gender change.

mrtorso11

first off joining the Marines planning to switch out the the AF sounds like...well crazy. Some good people have worked hard to get into the Marines and more every year don't. You're crazy.
On another note they are selecting a few SNAs to transition to the MC but they have to go to the Basic School after flight school and before the fleet.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's not as crazy as it sounds. I wouldn't start in the Marines with the idea that I would switch later, as it's hard to do. There are people who apply to the USAF to fly their Spec Ops helos. Right now they are pretty full on helo pilots, but interservice transfers (esp Army) used to be how they got a big percentage of their bubbas. Once you've done the Marine thing for awhile, you've got the tough guy t-shirt, and the USAF pays a LOT bigger bonus.

The above isn't even including those who do the AF reserves or ANG, which is pretty common.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
pltReed said:

To answer your second question, PSD local says the person would be discharged from one service and sworn into the other on the same day.

Happened to one of my guys in August...He was discharged from USN at 1030. By 1035 he was a bus driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.