• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer Colleges

skydiving

Can you transfer colleges under the BDCP? I would still graduate in 4 years with the same major just at a different university. If anyone knows I would appreciate any help! Thanks:icon_mi_1

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I would be careful because most universities do not have agreements with each other, so some classes may not transfer and may extend your schooling. I would look into it more to be sure.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Definitely do ALL of your legwork prior to putting in the transfer request. Find out exactly which credits transfer, how they transfer, and what they transfer as. After you do this, find out how long it will take you to graduate under the new credit allignment. After you've done all of this legwork, then its time to talk to the Navy and present them with a new Degree Completion Plan reflecting your requested change. They send this in, and it gets approved/denied.

The order is just how I would recommend going about it. Your recruiter could help you better.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Can you transfer colleges under the BDCP? I would still graduate in 4 years with the same major just at a different university. If anyone knows I would appreciate any help! Thanks:icon_mi_1

It can be done. A guy I went to CECOS with went to NC State for 2-years then picked up BDCP and transferred to Michigan. The best part was because he was under BDCP, he was considered active duty and got in-state tuition at Michigan.

Others are right, make sure credits transfer. His was relatively easy because he was a Civil Engineering major, and accreditted curriculums in engineering just don't vary that much from college to college.

Good luck.

Edit: It doesn't take too much effort to see what will transfer. I took summer classes back home at SUNY Albany to transfer to my Penn State transcript and all I did was get the Albany catalog and look for classes that would transfer towards my degree by going to the Registrar's office. In fact, I think they even gave me a print-out of classes that would transfer, and what classes would only give me "general credits" (i.e. useless).

I got things like Microeconomics, Speech Comm, The Evolution of Jazz, and the Short Story to directly transfer. The Jazz class originally didn't have a corresponding course, but after showing the description to an advisor, she said "Sounds like Evolution of Jazz to me" and she filled out the petition form to get it counted.

skydiving

Thanks for the replys!!

Yea the credits are a tricky thing, I'm hoping most of mine will transfer as I have done well in all my completed courses. Plus I have some AP credit that will transfer over.

I am in the middle of my sophomore year and I should hear back about whether I got into the program by the first week in April. I will probably ask my recruiter about the possibilities of transfer then because I am unhappy at my current school.

Thanks again!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Just out of blind curiousity, why don't you like your school? I'm not the one who has to do your course work so you know better than me, but transfering is a lot of to-do.

skydiving

The teachers at my school are aweful, I basically teach myself everyclass and its getting on my nerves as I am spending a ridiculous amount of money on college and it seems to be wasted. I don't want to deal with that when I get into the upper level classes. I am hoping transfering schools will get me better teachers and environment. Also, a bunch of other tiny things have bugged me about this school but that was a main one

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
but transfering is a lot of to-do.

When I transfered it wasn't that big of a process. Obviously as a college programmer it's significantly different than BDCP, but all I had to do was fill out the paperwork as a drop from program A, then sign up like I'd never been a part of NROTC at program B.

However, I hear the regulations for scholarship students were different, as in they had to write a letter to CNET and request a transfer, usually approved, especially if based on reasoning that transferring will lessen personal hardship, i.e. family issues, financials, blah blah blah. I would assume the latter scenario would be similar to your situation. If I were you I'd be very explicit in mentioning the Navy would get more bang for its buck.

BackOrdered

Contributor
The teachers at my school are aweful, I basically teach myself everyclass and its getting on my nerves as I am spending a ridiculous amount of money on college and it seems to be wasted. I don't want to deal with that when I get into the upper level classes. I am hoping transfering schools will get me better teachers and environment. Also, a bunch of other tiny things have bugged me about this school but that was a main one

I can relate. I pay alot extra to go to a private university, but the professors are more than happy to give students extra attention because of the small class sizes as opposed to a crowded state university where even if you do get help, it may be from a green grad student.

skydiving

Yea I know, its get really annoying when I pay so much. The TAs here stink too. I may just go abroad if I can't transfer or anything.

boobcheese

It doesn't cost much to apply to a different school (usually $20-$30). Why not go ahead and apply to your prospective new school and have them review your transcripts. You can have them give you an official breakdown of what they will accept and then craft a new degree completion plan that shows you graduating at the same time that you would if not transferring. Have an adviser at the school you're transferring to sign off that your degree plan is legit and THEN RUN IT UP YOUR COC. You would be amazed at how much more receptive people are when you do the legwork before coming to them and honestly it probably wouldn't take that much work.

*I don't claim to know the particulars of BDCP but I do know that going in with a plan rather than a problem is always a good idea if you can.

skydiving

Yea I find with everything I try and do in the military the more prepared the better. It just stinks cause most schools won't approve credit until you decide to go to the school, but I am sure I can figure it out. The main thing is the graduation date, but I asked my recruiter again and he said it can be done just needs TONS of paperwork. But compared to every application I have done i am sure it won't be a problem.

skydiving

So I got accepted for the BDCP:). I am pretty excited however I have a slight problem. I am transfering schools and i don't know how this will work, my recruiter wants me to sign first b/c that way im locked in , but it that sense they may not approve the transfer because im going from a BS to a BA in the same major.

I could either take it and hope that they approve the transfer or I have to wait and reapply after the transfer in which i may not get the job.

:-/

Tom

pilot
Contributor
If BDCP is what you really want I think you would be making a big mistake turning it down. The way I think of it is that your college is only 2-3 more years of your life. The Navy could be the next 15+ years. What is worth more to you?

BackOrdered

Contributor
So I got accepted for the BDCP:). I am pretty excited however I have a slight problem. I am transfering schools and i don't know how this will work, my recruiter wants me to sign first b/c that way im locked in , but it that sense they may not approve the transfer because im going from a BS to a BA in the same major.

I could either take it and hope that they approve the transfer or I have to wait and reapply after the transfer in which i may not get the job.

:-/

If it were me I'd do it because it's just something I want that bad (no thought or reason in my case at all). But I'm split on what you should do here. On one hand, yes, you are locked in and the navy will have to work with you to some degree. On the other hand, your recruiter may sound too antsy for my taste to get you locked in. Again, I wasn't there, but don't just be another (+) for his quota and come to find out, transferring while in BDCP isn't in your best interest. Defiantly do your homework on this and don't make rash judgments. Do what is in your best interest and ask your recruiter the hard questions. If it looks like you may get screwed over, don't do it.