• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training, shooting, and stuff

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just got back from doing a 3-day (fairly locally) SPR/DMR course with Magpul. It wasn't what I was expecting initially, and that was a good thing. Fantastic training and I lucked out in having a small group in the class (6), so lots of individual attention when needed.

My Noveske 18" LW just chugged away with zero problems and stayed accurate throughout the course, even when we started shooting a "higher" volume of fire (for a SPR). I was a little worried about the LW barrel having issues as it heated up, but it continued to stay more accurate than me. Highly recommend it, for those interested.

Here's a pic of the instructor (on the gun) playing with his weapon as we were finishing up with a drill (and student looking on).

Magpul.SPRclass1.JPG

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Noveske rocks

I know you're a BCM fan, and I have NOTHING against them, but I've had a .500 average with them. My Noveskes are batting 1.000. I'm pretty sure you're to blame for that. Smiles and stuff.

I did "win" a Rifle length MOE handguard from the course (along with a MS3), so obviously that means something new must be built, right?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Ha ha yup with BRD a single part many times becomes a complete weapon. Between my Noveskes, Colts and BCMs I'm mostly set with one exception. I want an LMT MK18 MOD 0.

Then I can pretend I'm Navy EOD on a special mission to Columbia.....

LMT MK18 MOD 0 CQBR.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's funny you should mention that... I too, would like a legit MK18 (I'm thinking Mod 1, though). But since I already have one SBR, I'm starting to lust more and more for a can. I think that's inevitable...as soon as I can move out of this ridiculous state.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yea that SBR has been on my mind for a long time. I 'd already own one if I didn't have to get a signature or set up a trust to do it.

The trust is pretty easy, just takes the cash to get it set up. It also allows you to have the NFA item(s) continue to exist without having family get another stamp when you depart the pattern for good. After that, you just have to wait. As for the CQBR...

I...have...a...plan...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Damn I really need too sell one or two of my safe queens before buy anything else. I was hoping my BRD was in remission but it's not. Every time I pick up one of my AR's to take pics and get it ready to list on-line I get the shakes so bad I can't do it. I do want that LMT though

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn I really need too sell one or two of my safe queens before buy anything else. I was hoping my BRD was in remission but it's not. Every time I pick up one of my AR's to take pics and get it ready to list on-line I get the shakes so bad I can't do it. I do want that LMT though

I spent way too much time learning (well, on the internet, anyway) about this, so forgive me, but I think that pic is a Colt. It looks like a 10.3", which was the original CQBR build (chopping M4 barrels to 10.3). Then Colt said they could help and started building 10.3 barrels for Crane. There appears to have been some (~500?) LMT uppers and barrels (10.5) that were used for a period, but most of the ones seen in the wild were Colt 10.3s.

Now getting your hands on a 10.3" is not nearly as easy (read: expensive) as just grabbing a LMT 10.5 complete upper. But like I said...I have a plan. In a month or two I can elaborate.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Nice when a plan is working........ Yea that could very well be a Colt. I just grabbed that pic off the web so I don't know. I'm fine with just a 10.5 LMT upper for sure.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, so the plan has been executed. It's not completely accurate because the rail is a DD and not a KAC, but it's lighter and cheaper, so I'll live (plus I didn't have to knock the FSP off to install it). The rear sight (Matech) is not 100% accurate either, but again, it's close enough and it came with the upper (and I'm not a huge fan of the LMT rear sight).

The lower can't touch the upper (yet). If it did, the universe would collapse on itself and we'd be overwhelmed with crime and bootleggers shooting BARs everywhere. The lower has a MIAD and B5 SOPMOD waiting for it back home in CA. Sadly, the upper will have to stay here in FL, waiting for my next visit.

First pic: Colt 6920 upper, cut down to 10.3" and a Colt 6920 (or whatever it's called now) lower.

Second pic is the upper on my registered lower. Op testing will occur in the next few days.

MK18.upper.Colt.lower.JPG
MK18.Mega.JPG