• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training Schedules

ClayRiggs

As an old retired guy, who has spent a lot of time in a lot of different training commands, none as academically intense as flight school, I am curious as to how scheduling between one element of flight school and the next element of flight school is formulated. Specifically, is there a minimum number of down hours required between flights? Are adequate hours given to plan, prep and chair fly flights? Does the scheduling office take into account the previous weeks', or day's, training schedule? Is there enough time to prep safely and adequately?

I get hard work, just curious about the reality of time requirements.

Clay

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
For students in Primary, there's a 12-hour crew day limit and a 12-hour crew rest requirement. Students in Primary are also limited to two x's per day (this is different on x-countries, in Advanced, and for instructors). In terms of how much time should we have between flights, well that depends. In VT-28, we couldn't solo right after a flight (I think we needed at least 30 minutes or an hour) and the crew day shortened for solo students. Typically, we'd get at least an hour between scheduled events, and even on O/I's we'd take our time grabbing lunch or dinner while the plane was getting fuel.

As for scheduling practices... well, they try their best to take care of everyone. Once one a while you could go from having evening events that end late and have exactly 12 hours before your next event (it sucked, but it was still allowable by the SOP). Scheds can't really take into account your previous week's training schedule. All they care about is the 12 hour crew rest rule, and once in a while, even that is overlooked.

The trick to staying prepared for the schedule was to stay two flights/sims ahead and to just plan on having the 0530 brief.

I hope this answers your questions. The Primary Master Curriculum Guide, Wing and Squadron SOP's all go into further detail about time requirements for scheduled events.

~Red

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
As an old retired guy, who has spent a lot of time in a lot of different training commands, none as academically intense as flight school, I am curious as to how scheduling between one element of flight school and the next element of flight school is formulated. Specifically, is there a minimum number of down hours required between flights? Are adequate hours given to plan, prep and chair fly flights? Does the scheduling office take into account the previous weeks', or day's, training schedule? Is there enough time to prep safely and adequately?

I get hard work, just curious about the reality of time requirements.

Clay

Clay,
Short answer...Yes to all.

Long answer...
these are the governing directives

CH 8 here
http://safetycenter.navy.mil/aviati...s/References/OPNAV 3710/3710_7t MARCH 04.pdf
and CNATRA 1500.4G and all 1542 series MCGs (https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/instruct.htm) along with individual wing and squadron SOPs further address (restrict) all you ask about. You will see rest as short as "8 hours plus a meal" and days as long as 18 hours in the fleet. In the training command, 12 hours rest and 12 hour days are pretty much the norm. The number of events per day and the number of days a week are restricted.

Safety is stressed at all levels. Overly so IMO, but we try to teach the young guys early.

As far as if there is adequate time to prepare? The standard is very high but, for the most part, only the lazy or unmotivated have problems. There is plenty of help/gouge and enough time. There is definitely a firehose effect. Either you get used to the pace or you go home.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I lot track of how many times I have been scheduled here in advanced exactly 12 hours following last event. It just kind of goes with the territory. At times it makes no sense, like when you are getting double pumped all week long while your classmattes aren't even scheduled, but normally things even out over time. The upside to getting heavily scheduled (ie less time to study) is that you need less study time to improve, since your currency is pretty high. Just one student's .02