• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

training pipeline

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
That would be the least of my concerns... #1 Get Wings, #2 Get PIC (Prowler, Hornet and once upon a time Hoov Dudes= Easy = Instant), #3 Build resume (Natops, FCF, Section/Div Lead, etc) then hope that the airlines are hiring... Pick a plane because you like the mission, location, A/C or all three.. :confused:

I am normally very hesitant to tell IP's that I want E-6's for that very reason, it seems they automatically opt to the "Oh, this douche just wants to get out and fly for the airlines" stance. Makes things kinda awkward sometimes.. But thats the status quo for me.

If they do ask me "why E-6's?" I tell them that I want E-6's because It's an extremely unique platform that plays an very important (and expanding) role. It's not sexy, and I would be in close proximity to the Chair Farce, but the pros seem to outweigh the cons...

Then again.. I'm just a noob.. what do I know.:rolleyes:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I am normally very hesitant to tell IP's that I want E-6's for that very reason, it seems they automatically opt to the "Oh, this douche just wants to get out and fly for the airlines" stance. Makes things kinda awkward sometimes.. But thats the status quo for me.

If they do ask me "why E-6's?" I tell them that I want E-6's because It's an extremely unique platform that plays an very important (and expanding) role. It's not sexy, and I would be in close proximity to the Chair Farce, but the pros seem to outweigh the cons...

Then again.. I'm just a noob.. what do I know.:rolleyes:

Not if your IP is an E-6 pilot. :icon_wink

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The platform doesn't matter... #1, 2 and 3 are what matters.. Tell them you want Per Diem, Live in Tornado Alley, Hate the Ocean, doesn't matter... Or best yet do what always works tell them what they want to hear and then do what you want... Works for Senior Leadership should work for you! I have buds flying the MD-11 with 300 hours in their fleet tour and the rest T-45 (Harrier dudes) so what you fly don't mean jack shit.. It is about being qualified! Again I differ to my original comment..
you like the mission, location, A/C or all three..

I was an IP for 4 years and I know the smoke you can blow so just blow it... Even thought I/we know it; it still works..... Do what you want.. A friend of mine wanted Helos (when we selected['93]) and I wanted Jets... We had the exact same NSS and were able to get what we wanted... She was able to get Helos and I, jets... BTW, I sucked ass in Primary, T-2s and then figured it out in A-4s but it was too late so my NSS got me Hoovs.. But the dude above me got Hornets and was shit canned by his community and the guy behind me got Tomcats and was FNAEBd so maybe it worked out... I'm here now and no regrets!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The platform doesn't matter... #1, 2 and 3 are what matters.. Tell them you want Per Diem, Live in Tornado Alley, Hate the Ocean, doesn't matter... Or best yet do what always works tell them what they want to hear and then do what you want... Works for Senior Leadership should work for you! I have buds flying the MD-11 with 300 hours in their fleet tour and the rest T-45 (Harrier dudes) so what you fly don't mean jack shit.. It is about being qualified! Again I differ to my original comment..

I was an IP for 4 years and I know the smoke you can blow so just blow it... Even thought I/we know it; it still works..... Do what you want.. A friend of mine wanted Helos (when we selected['93]) and I wanted Jets... We had the exact same NSS and were able to get what we wanted... She was able to get Helos and I, jets... BTW, I sucked ass in Primary, T-2s and then figured it out in A-4s but it was too late so my NSS got me Hoovs.. But the dude above me got Hornets and was shit canned by his community and the guy behind me got Tomcats and was FNAEBd so maybe it worked out... I'm here now and no regrets!

Speaking of the FNAEB....this is some good gouge on accountability and responsibility, a good read if you have not already read this. http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/MEDIA/approach/issues/mayjun06/Remember_My_Mistakes.htm

Rg9

pilot
To the OP:

(The Wikipedia article is incomplete...)

You'll be in Pensacola for MUCH longer than 6 weeks. Do a search here for pipeline info, but basically, you could be waiting anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to start training, which includes IFS (a month or two of civilian flight training), followed by API (6 weeks ground school), after which you'll do Primary probably at Whiting (since you're married and they don't want to move you - PLEASE avoid Vance AFB), which is ~45 minutes from NAS P'cola. That's about 6 months. You tell the Navy what you want in Primary and they tell you at the end what you get. If you get E-6's, you'll move out to Oklahoma and do everything else out there (Advanced, Fleet Tours, etc.) for the next 4 years or so.

I did Primary at Whiting, and my wife and I lived in the Pensacola area a full year.

It's hard to get E-6's. There's no official minimum (technically I don't think there's an official min for jets either...), but most guys have to do well to get it because it's so rare (although not many want it). If you tell your instructors along the way, they can possibly help you out, and if you can be the #1 guy Navy-wide that selection week (at the end of Primary), you have a good chance. But be ready and willing to get something else. If you're worried about lifestyle and spending time with family, P-3's ain't bad either. And besides, turboprops are jets too! :eek::D

Longhorn

Well, im too tall to fly fighters so as for now id like to fly e-6s or p-3s. I dont hear a lot of enthusiasm coming from those aircrafts/missions but i wanna fly. The doctors said I could still fly c-2/e-2 but i think their blowin smoke up my butt since that pipeline is through the t-45. Anyone have any suggestions for me??