• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training for the PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clux4

Banned
I breathe through my mouth the whole way and have no problems. If your lungs are dry, you will definitely have problems so drink water.

SFgirl

So- off the subject of breathing...

My flight physical got rescheduled for a couple weeks from now, giving me more time to get my PFT score up... Really the only place I am having issues is the dead arm hang..
Does anyone ahve any suggestions for building that up using wieghts/push ups whatever?

Thanks!

kevin

yes.......pullups with weights. if you go to a gym they should have a chain belt (looks like a weight belt but with a loop and chain)...put the chain through some plates and go at it. if you have several weeks try doing some periodization....week one do 8X8 with whatever weight you can do for that, then bump up the weight the next week and do 6X6, then 4X4, roughly. warning....you might build some guns! everyone here on this site will swear by armstrong programs (lots and lots of reps), etc. i think they all work as long as you're trying hard. but i doubled my pushups over several years by just doing heavy bench pressing (powerlifting) without doing a single pushup, so i dont know why pullups would be any different. my $.04

dpt0101

actually side stitches are somewhat of a mystery to the medical establishment. it's just a mechanism that tells your body to slow down, it's got nothing do to insufficient breathing.

as far as running faster, I was at 21 minutes last year. Now I'm a sub 18. I got up to 50 miles a week during the summer. all of them pretty slow, first at a steady 9 minute pace, now I do them at 7:30. Don't do too many max effort workouts, because they'll break you down. I got these running techniques from Arthurs Lyliard's (sp?) Running to the Top. Be careful though, listen to your body. I got shinsplints that took me off running for like 2 months at the beginning of September. I kept trying to get back to running too early. Now I'm just really getting back in the hang off it (12 miles this week). I did stairclimbers for like 2 hours a day when I couldn't run.

Try to be able to run a steady 10 miles at whatever pace you're comfortable with. Then add speed workouts.

Use this calculator: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running University/Article 1/calculator2.htm

As far as pullups, I don't follow any plan. I just do as many as I can, but never a max set. Rope climbing really helps too.

I also swim, 60 x 25 yards 3 times a week to balance myself out. Frontcrawl ,breaststroke, sidestroke, inverted breast, backstroke. I can't do a butterfly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.