• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Training for the PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinsioux

When traing for the PFT should I run for only 3 miles and then stop and do the pull ups and sit up, or should i run for longer or split it up and do pull ups and sit ups though the run?

Raptor2216

you want to do more than 3 miles at a time. I would suggest that you do about 5 at a 7min/mile pace...and once a week go and run 3 miles as fast as you can. That way you can keep track of how well you are doing. As far as the pull ups go, just do it before the run I guess...but it won't hurt you if you do it during the run. You'll do that out at OCS anyway, do getring your body used to it won't hurt you any.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Geez Raptor not everyone is a 300 Pft'r...

Flyinsioux, he's right about running more than 3 miles at a time...however, depending on your current level and time to train before you have to score well, pace your runs accordingly...I ran a 20:25 on my last PFT which is not stellar by any stretch but I got selected...First make your goal to run a sub 21:00 3 miles...then train accordingly...I usually run 5 days a week, but also play city league basketball 2 nights. My running schedule over the past month has looked like this.

-Sunday Rest....Basketball that night
-Monday 3 miles at 7:30-8 min pace; baskeball
-Tuesday 1 mi 8 min pace, 6, 1/4 repeats at ~1:40, 1 mi cool down (5 mi)
-Wednesday Rest
-Thursday 6 miles at 8-8.5 min pace
-Friday 3 miles mixing in hills
-Saturday 1 mi 8 min pace, 3, 1/2 mi repeats at ~3:30, 1 mi cool down (5 mi)

Now that I've been selected I am going to run nothing less than 4 miles/5 days a week and up my paces...I'll try to keep my weight down by doing more body resistance exercises (pullups, pushups, situps, mountain climbers, bend.thrust, etc.) and less weighlifting...Hope this helps.

Crowbar

None
Throw some swimming in there if you want. I injured myself at OCS this summer. Spent about six weeks unable to do so much as walk from my couch to the bathroom at home. When I finally got mobile again, I would go to the pool and swim 1000 or 2000 meters a day (call me boring, I did all of it freestyle) just to be active. I finally started running again and within two weeks was within ten seconds of my fastest 3 mile time ever. Now I run M/T/W/F, weight training on T/Th/F, swim 3000m on Th, and do "BodyPump", a full body weight training class, on Sundays. My only hang up is that I've put on about 15 pounds (good pounds) since August which stands to hurt my run some.

baj4160

if you haven't checked out the OCS website i got a 5 week training program, its gets harder every week, for instance week three has been:
Monday: 3 miles 8min/mile
Tuesday: circuit 3 sets: each set, 5 pullups, 30 situps, 20 pushups, 50 stepups, 30 dips, 20 bend and thrusts
Wednesday: 2 miles in boots, i've been using my boots from work over the summer
Thursday: rest
Friday: go through the circuit twice, so 6 sets
Saturday: all out pullups and situps and 2 mile run
Sunday: rest
it gets harder every week, basically add a mile or two each week you progress, and at least 3 to 5 pullups each set, and add 10's to every thing else each week. i've done this for a few weeks and i know i am no where near what i want to be to go to OCS. basically bust your ass and give it everything you have, and see where you can get is all i've heard from every marine i've talked to, otherwise go army. also i think they are updating to a 12 week training program, but it was underconstruction so check back to the OCS website in a few days, www.ocs.usmc.mil, if anyone has something better let me know

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Training for the PFT

Monday: "when's the PFT guys?" - "I dunno, I think Friday" - "Oh S@#t"
Tuesday-Thursday: Gym+Track
Friday: Pass PFT
Saturday: "man, this would be a lot easier if i would just run every day"
Sunday-till-next-PFT: Resume workout routine minus running

not recommended prior to OCS though.

/true or not?
:)

usanavypilot

That's true. At least I know that from the Navy, since it's only 1.5 miles basically at a walk you only ran twice a year...definitely not good for before OCS though :icon_mi_1

FSU-Benihana

So would you guys say it's a good idea to train myself to run 1 mile in 6 minutes or less, then train for 2 miles in 12 or less, then 3 miles in 18 or less

Or

Would it be better to run 3-5 miles and get good at them, then work on doing it faster?

Definately start with longer distances. You will need to have a good cardio base to start from. If you have a decent amount of time (several months) you should start running 5-6 miles a few times a week. Don't worry too much about the pace. After you get comfortable with the distace, add some speed training. There is a lot of good info on this site. JUST REMEMBER that some people are at quite high levels of fitness. Someone running a 19:00 looking to drop another minute will be doing workouts that will just be unproductive for someone who is running a 24:00. Or worse, trying to do too much at the start could injure you. Start long and slow.

SFgirl

This may have already been posted somewhere, but I wanted to share something with y'all that I heard from my recruiter...

My run times are OK for a girl (~24minutes), especially since I really just started training for this in the last three weeks for submitting my package by next Friday (long story there), but I keep getting slowed down by that cramp in the side... apparently that is dehydration and if you drink a gallon of water the night before any big time morning PT it helps... so I tried it and shaved a minute off of my time this morning without even feeling like I was gonna puke...

gdecatrel

I thought cramps in the side were from inadequate breathing. A common method to control breathing is to breathe in when you step with your right foot then breathe out when the next time you step with your right foot. If you are having trouble breathing that fast, keep trying and your diaphragm will strengthen. If you are still cramping, keep trying and your lung capacity will increase.

WTFover

Arctic Alpha
Getting side stitches (cramps) is from hedydration. Stay hydrated throughout the day, like SFGF said. The cramping comes from lactic acid build up. The water helps keeps that out. Also potassium from bananas helps a lot. That will help you retain water throughout your body. Controlling your breathing is important, breathing in/out on your right foot might work, I find that taking deep controlled breaths when I need O2 helps keep my breathing steady, slow and controlled.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
usmc39720 said:
I thought cramps in the side were from inadequate breathing. A common method to control breathing is to breathe in when you step with your right foot then breathe out when the next time you step with your right foot. If you are having trouble breathing that fast, keep trying and your diaphragm will strengthen. If you are still cramping, keep trying and your lung capacity will increase.

I do that same method (helps to increase your pace because you can concentrate on your breathing instead of your legs)...but I guess I am doing it wrong: I do it on my left foot :icon_tong

Oh yeah, IMO that is a good way to run, but at first you may only be able to breath that fast/hard for short stretches. I used to feel really sick when I ran like that, now I can do it for 6 miles 6:45/pace, no sweat.

kevin

im pretty sure those cramps can sometimes come from improper breathing.....mostly from inhaling through the mouth. this usually occurs when your breathing becomes more labored and the first split second of your breathing through the news actually comes through the mouth...since this tends to be more forceful, it goes into the stomach...otherwise known as a "gas cramp". one way to get rid of them is to forcefully exhale on each breath, which causes pressure to help move the gas out of the stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.