• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TPS for NFOs

Notso07

None
Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried searching for it, but TPS seems to be too short of a string and found nothing with test pilot school NFO wise.
I am in API now but just trying to get some info as most of the info out on TPS seems to be from the pilot side, understandable given the ratio of pilots to NFO's at TPS. As an NFO, are there any platforms that would be more in demand at TPS? I've been wavering back and forth between my top choice being P-3 and Prowler/Shocker for a while, as both missions seem very interesting to me. With the new platforms coming out in both communities I figured there will probably be some demand for test NFOs in each.
I was an aero major at the Academy, and would love to go this route and maybe apply for AEDO at some point in the future. Understand there is a requirement for a Masters for AEDO and not sure how that would fit into a timeline. If anyone could help me fill in how that type of career path would be different in those two communities, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks a lot

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried searching for it, but TPS seems to be too short of a string and found nothing with test pilot school NFO wise.
I am in API now but just trying to get some info as most of the info out on TPS seems to be from the pilot side, understandable given the ratio of pilots to NFO's at TPS. As an NFO, are there any platforms that would be more in demand at TPS? I've been wavering back and forth between my top choice being P-3 and Prowler/Shocker for a while, as both missions seem very interesting to me. With the new platforms coming out in both communities I figured there will probably be some demand for test NFOs in each.
I was an aero major at the Academy, and would love to go this route and maybe apply for AEDO at some point in the future. Understand there is a requirement for a Masters for AEDO and not sure how that would fit into a timeline. If anyone could help me fill in how that type of career path would be different in those two communities, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks a lot
I think you should email BUPERS and request orders to TPS directly after winging. Do a search on the Navy Personnel Command website PERS-43 and there should be some TPS info.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
There definitely are VX deals for NFO's after your first tour. There are currently a bunch of test guys (NA & NFO) at VAQ-129 for the Growler stuff.

Its still a while away, but the opportunities are there.

Also, don't choose your community based on what you think will give you the best shot at AEDO or being a test guy. Pick something b/c you like the mission and lifestyle. If you go to a VX squadron, you'll go back to your community. If you don't get picked up for AEDO, you'll go back to your community.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
P-3s? Queers? How about you look into the Mighty War Hawkeye... we've got a lot going on w/ the Delta right now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every community sends people to TPS, and communities with NFO's send NFO's to TPS. There will be opportunities whatever your community is.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Sorry if this has been answered before, ....

Good post, while little in the way of constructive answers ensued will try to lay some goundwork, knowing full well that I am not qualified to give any real answers, perhaps will get some folks that do know to speak up.

I say good post because I believe one should plan their career, plan perhaps the wrong word, rather one should have a strategery. You do that by knowing how the system works, options available, likelyhood of specific outcomes and such. Sort of keeping your eyes open, ear to the ground and mouth closed,:eek::eek:

Of course there a lot of NFO's that go to TPS. As I understand for the last couple of years the Prowler types sent the most, followed by the hummer group. I understand strike fighter sent very few. Several years ago I was down at Pax River and everyone seemed to be from the P-3 community. Having said all that, what happened last years has no real bearing on what will happen next year. Sooo..... can you pick your platform to enhance your chances of going to TPS, probably not. Better focus on performance. Yep, get your MS in AeroEng.

AEDO, hey quite a challenge. Some love that gig and some just hate the boredom of the job. Have a friend of a friend, NFO, SF, TPS, AEDO, that worked on the JSF program for several years, simply loved it. He transitioned out to CIVLANT quite nicely, mostly $$$.

Hope this helps. Do not let the naysayers get you down. Onward and upward!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
^Good info, Chief.

TPS is something I've been considering as well. We'll see though.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
No automatic MS in Aero Engineering, they are working on it, but the only way to guarantee yourself the MS is to do the co-op program where you go to AFIT for a year, get your degree, then off to TPS. There will always be a demand for test NFOs in each community, plus you can go straight to a VX squadron from a fleet tour if TPS doesn't work out for you.

Notso07

None
Thanks for all your feedback, at this point it doesn't look like i could possibly make a bad choice of platforms, although I wouldn't really want to live in Oklahoma, all of the missions are interesting to me so I guess I'll just have to see how it goes, apparently the communities will be doing more show and tell between now and the end of primary so i'm not going to worry about it too much yet. Thanks.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thanks for all your feedback, at this point it doesn't look like i could possibly make a bad choice of platforms, although I wouldn't really want to live in Oklahoma, all of the missions are interesting to me so I guess I'll just have to see how it goes, apparently the communities will be doing more show and tell between now and the end of primary so i'm not going to worry about it too much yet. Thanks.

Hey Oklahoma gets a bad rap..and I like to have as good of time as anybody...plus, we now have a brand new NBA team :D

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/TestPilot/

Follow the links - 1320 is the NFO designator so you can see how many NFO's were picked up at the last two boards (and their platform on the 07-02 results). The precept and some of the other links also have valuable info on requirements/timing etc.

Take the time to look at the various sites and learn what TPS really is: I've known a couple of people who were disappointed at the reality compared to the "Right Stuff" visions they had going in.

Notso07

None
Thanks, great link. More NFO's than I thought. Being at the acad as an aero major we had a few field trips down to pax, and I found everything that went on down there very interesting, which is what interested me in the route.