• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tough Decision

Cloak

Hey all,

I posted after I took the ASTB once and my scheduled retake is 16 July at 0900. My original score was a 4/5/4 46 and the two recruiters that were there as well as an Ensign told me to just send the scores in for the July board but I now have missed the deadline since I decided I wanted to retake. Now knowing that I could possibly get accepted (Pilot/Intel/SWO) are my choices. They said my scores weren't extremely competitive but my friend just got into the July boards with a 4/4/4/51 and our recruiter said he has a solid chance to get in. He went for Intel/SWO/Supply. I'm not looking to be an NFO so I could care less about not qualifying for that particular job.

However, after studying a redicilous amount and still a few weeks left of studying to go I am starting to get the jitters and wondering "what if I do worse?" I know it's probably just pre-retake jitters but it's still a question that has been bothering me for a few days now. I called my recruiter yesterday and he said he can send my 4/5/4/46 in for August Selection and then if I am accepted i'm set. He said I should be fairly competitive but anything can happen.

Should I just retake it? Or send it in and see what happens?

Any help would be great!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I am not a recruiter, but I am pretty sure your most recent score counts.

Getting 2 similar scores on the ASTB tells me 1 of 2 things; 1. You didn't study, or you didn't study the right material, or 2. You just aren't smart enough to get a higher score. Nothing is wrong with #2, if that is your potential then so be it, send it in and live with it knowing that you did your best.

I'd study my ass off and take it again. I also think you don't quite understand the process, as judging by your profile. You say you missed a pilot slot by one point... I'd say you didn't qualify to compete for a pilot slot by one point. ASTB scores are one part of many that are used to judge your package.

good luck

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Send it in, see what happens and re-apply if needed down the road with new ASTB scores. Remember, it is the whole package they look at. The Navy looks for officer candidates like guys go lookin' for chicks. She may have small tits, but she may also have a rockin' ass, pouty lips and like guns. You can always get a boob job later if that is what it takes to catch their attention. :D

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I would take it again, especially since I heard it's more competitive now with the economy and people looking anywhere for jobs. I know at our NROTC unit when I was there, anything lower than straight 6's pretty much everybody took them again.

EDIT:

**it wouldn't hurt either, it's not like you wouldn't be able to get at least 4's and 5's again

**also, don't ever settle for minimums...straight 6's aren't exactly hard to get

Cloak

I haven't taken a second time so my original score is actually 4/5/4/46 I made a mistake on my first post and never went back to adjust it. Either or, the above score is the correct one and what I misunderstood was that I did not qualify for NFO by 1 point seeing as I need a 4/5/5 to be *qualified* for both Pilot and NFO. My 1st retake is on 16 July.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What are the other items that make up your application? Grades? Letters? etc. I say this because the boards take a "whole person" approach.

Cloak

BA in History
GPA 2.6 (low I know)
LOR: 0-3 USAF, 0-8 USAF (retired), 0-5 USArmy, Distinguished Prof. at my College

Many hours of Community Service/Mission Trips etc.

Not sure if that is everything you are looking for but it's a start.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Well I'd definitely take the test again. I agree with Swanee, if you don't do better this time it's either of the options. You have the advantage of knowing what to expect now and should do better. Your grades aren't very competitive otherwise so any bit will help.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Your current scores AREN'T good. Take it again. Not being a dick, just not sugarcoating. If it was another commissioning source, and more of a check in the block, then maybe. But for OCS, those scores will NOT get you pilot. Can't speak to Intel/SWO.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Otto is right... I hate to sound like a jerk, but you have to be realistic. With your GPA, you really need something to boost your competitiveness. I don't know about SNA, but those scores don't meet the minimums to be competitive for Intel. Take it again. What's the worst that can happen?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully, you are studying your ass off. If you haven't, then I'd hold off on the re-take until you've taken the studying seriously. How bad do you want to fly? Your answer should drive how hard you study.

BTW, of all the students I used to test, NO ONE EVER DID WORSE.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Cloak

Technically speaking I have gone through Two ARCO books. I have a TON of websites I look at daily. I use Math.com daily roughly 50-100 equations a day to keep my mind working and literally dreaming about the ASTB. I have brushed up my my Spatial Apperception studying (I realized I actually answered left bank on every right bank and right bank on every left bank in the test) Kind of pissed at myself for that but now I am following the "3 Rules" and have it down to a T.

I just got engaged to my lovely fiance on 7/8/09 so I have that going for me as well. Let alone the nightly praying haha.

Never the less I feel a lot more confident this time around and I am certain I will attain a higher score.

Secondly. I have been speaking with the Coast Guard as well and I am going to be putting in a package for them as well after this test. Both Aviation programs interest me but the Navy I would much rather be in so I am striving for that the most. Thanks again for everyones help.

A little bit of prayer and faith would help a lot!

Jason

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just curious, why not nfo? I put pilot/nfo/swo as my choices, and I couldn't be happier with being an snfo so far. If you're truly interested in Naval Aviation, then there's absolutely no reason not to put NFO as your second choice.

Cloak

Well thats just it. The recruiters adamantly told me to go Pilot/NFO/Intel or SWO for my 3rd choice. Pending I score well enough. However, my background check has not been started by my recruiter because I am retaking it for the first time on the 16th. So, technically speaking he is going to do all he can to get me into the August boards or at least get me in the queue if you will.

My darn motherboard on my PC flaked out so I lost ALL of my bookmarks and study guides that are on my hard drive so I have had to try and gather everything up via the local library and I unfortunately do not have some of the original sites I was using. So...I have been literally living by the Gouge/ASTB Prep Test I have and some naval/air information PDF's I have found in the mean time.

NFO is definitely something I want but the 4/5/4/46 made it so I wasn't qualified for NFO at the time and they said the scores were nowhere near competitive to guarantee a spot. They did however say if I were to enter those scores and put in for say Supply/SWO or something else the chances were higher to get accepted...eventually. Who knows.

Sorry for the story but yeah. Working my ass off right now to study. I almost feel like pushing my test date back two weeks until I get my PC back and get all that information off of it. Think that would be a smart idea? I'm really thinking about calling up the Chief and rescheduling for a later date.

Jason