• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Torn Between MS Program or Applying Now

aprilmarikko

I have one year left as an undergraduate in Math. I've stumbled upon a good GPA, somehow, and am presented with the opportunity to stay another 1-1.5 years to complete an MS.

It would be funded, so 100% tuition waiver as well as a stiped for 15-20k.

I have done my physical and filled out a bunch of paperwork, as far as the application process goes. No ASTB yet. I'm 22 years old though. I'll graduate at 23 and would hopefully finish the MS at 24.....which just feels.....Old! Assuming I can time the application such that I get right in at 24, and have no delays between OCS and "hitting the fleet" (I think that's the phrase), which is optimistic, I would be 26-27 by the time I'm actually contributing.

My father's advice was, paraphrased, "You're gonna be on a boat in the middle of the ocean with nothing to do so you might as well just wait and get it online." Which makes sense to me, but he wasn't Navy so I don't know how true that is.

I know, I know, another young person complaining about age....I just get the sense that I'm wasting my time in classrooms when I could be out bringing something to the table. I know I can get any degree if I work hard enough and am dedicated. I just don't know if it's worth it for me.

If anyone could chime in with some advice, similar experiences, or any words which may be helpful, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You do you, man.

Joining the navy, in particular the OCS route as a 24 year old is definitely not “too late” or “late” in order to join.

Does this MS program align with short term and long term goals? That should be the foundation for your decision.

exNavyOffRec

It is an extra 1-1.5 years and it is paid, 10, 15, or 20 years down the road that will seen like no time at all. You are also in the zone of studying, doing classwork, etc...... I would just go for your Masters.

I had a few that were presented the same opportunity both stayed the extra year and left with a MS in Math, and it turned out well for them.

BB Poison

Contributor
I’m 24, shipping out hopefully sometime this summer. I don’t feel too old. The Navy isn’t going anywhere, go get your MS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do the masters now, while you are still in "school" mode. 24 is still plenty young, I was 25 when I commissioned (but without a masters :) ). If this MS is free for you, then you would have the additional bonus of being able to transfer GI Bill benefits to children (or a spouse) if desired. To your dad's point, you're going to be very busy while on active duty, at least for the first 5-10 years. I don't think I would have been able to focus on a masters degree at that point of my life. Not sure how great doing an online degree on the boat would be either. Boat internet is like 1990s dial up quality/speed. Plus I'd always prefer to get a real degree in person, personally.

Last edited:

Scruff

None
Contributor
Agree with those above. Knock it out now. I also commissioned as an old but have never felt out of place with my peers. Like you mentioned, stay on top of the application process during your MS to make the transition easy.

croakerfish

pilot
I commissioned with a Master’s at 26. While I have occasionally regretted the time and vitality I spent on a degree I didn’t “use,” having the Masters box checked in the Navy has gotten me a couple good deals and allowed me to spend time on other things on shore duty instead of doing some kind of MBA thing like many of my peers.

Mos

None
You have plenty of time. Do the MS. While you're at it, keep in shape and don't do drugs.

Reactions: IKE

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
As someone with two MSs earned as an officer (1 in residence, 1 online), I was gonna go against the grain of the crowd and say, "fly now." But itteally is up to you. Either road can work and will have its costs. Flying is (somewhat) like a sport, and is mostly a young person's game. But I started at 28, and am still going 17 years later.

If you love Math and want the MS, go for it, because an MS in Math while in the Navy will not be as easy as an MBA nor likely as rigorous as the program you're considering.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I have my BS and MS in math and I would highly encourage you to finish it now while your undergrad experience is still fresh in your mind. It won’t be impossible but it will be more difficult if you waited and did it as a JO.

Also, your masters program is guaranteed and you haven’t really even started the process to fly for the Navy. From a return on investment perspective you are getting the program paid for and also making money, while that might not be the case later on.

exNavyOffRec

One other thing to consider is since you are wanting to fly that 18 months could allow for the issues with boards, and going to OCS to stabilize.

wonderb0iwl

Honestly with how tough boards are rn, it would be fine to wait 2 years before applying. Navy ain't going anywhere and they will always need pilots.