• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Topic from another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok. This topic was discussed in another thread and I just wanted to open its own topic. The topic was should someone try to make Chief while in STA-21 program. Obviously there are no right or wrong answers on this just opinions but I wanted to see what they are. Here is mine.

Chief, the toughest rank to achieve as an enlisted sailor. The road to making Chief is a long and tough one to make. Many people I know retire as First Class Petty Officers and even some Second Class ones as well. Taking a spot while in the STA-21 program to me is just not right.

The spot you are taking will be for no more than 2 years, you have to figure anyone in the STA-21 program is very junior and will probably require the better part of a year to be paid for it. This could potentially take a slot from someone who is in their 18th/19th year of service and is at their last chance to make Chief. This is taking a slot from someone that may go to the fleet as "The Chief". This to me it is a slot that should be coveted by anyone who achieves the rank of Chief. Now, you say this person should have tried harder or some other excuse saying that you deserve it. I'm not saying someone who has been accepted to the STA-21 wouldn't be a good Chief but the fact is even if you make E-7 you'll never be a "Chief." You'll still be a midshipman just collecting E-7 pay. This is as I said taking away a spot for someone to be the Chief and not just an E-7. You'll get your pay increase when you make O-1E. And you will go well beyond that of an E-7 in no time. Be happy with that and know that you will be part of the Navys future leadership.

FC1(SW) Dohnal

Chubby

My opinion, no. Being in STA-21, for all intents and purposes, is like a delayed promotion to Ensign anyhow.(Just don't do anything stupid and go to class, etc. Y'all are big boys and girls) There are people out there who don't want to be officers and want to make Chief more than anything else, and work hard to. Not saying that that STA-21 stud doesn't deserve to make Chief, but he/she would be taking a spot away from one of them, who could do immense good in the fleet, just to for a little more money and the ability to say that you made Chief then got a commission. Besides, then there would be one less salty Chief in the fleet to teach butter bars like me how not to step on our d**ks. But what do I know?

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
My question is: Does that person take a fleet slot or does STA-21 have it's own pool to work with. I'm a former ECP having graduated in 2001 and I made 1st class in school but didn't take a MM1(SS) slot from the fleet.

I also could have taken the chief's exam but decided against it since I had only a couple months to commissioning.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took the E-7 exam three times while I was in the ECP program and made the board each time. While talking to my Senior Chief at the Unit, she told me that the Chief board "knows" that you are in a commissioning program and you would not be selected for E-7. We had 2 Chief's in the ECP program at my school....both of them made Chief right after they were picked up for the program, so none of their EVALs denoted that they were in a commissioning program.

montellv: I am not sure if there is a different pool or slot. I do know that it is HIGHLY unlikely that a person will make Chief while in the STA-21 prgram.

ea6bflyr

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
First, nothing in life is guaranteed. That being said, if, for whatever reason, a person can’t get their commission, wouldn’t it be better to go back to the fleet as an E-7? I think so, I also think someone would be kicking themselves a whole lot if they found themselves in the unlikely situation of returning to the fleet as an enlisted, and they squandered multiple chances at promotion.
Second, as for taking the slot from someone with 18+ years in, give me a break. Making Chief is not rocket science. If someone has not made Chief by that point in their career, it is a result of their own actions (or inactions). It is not that difficult to look at those around you who have made Chief, note their better qualities, and model yourself after them. It is especially helpful to observe those who have managed to make Chief early. There is a wealth of knowledge out there, you only have to seek it. Granted there are those who can’t manage to make board, and would be shoe-ins if only they could make board. This is a matter of our unfortunate exam based advancement system. That person needs to examine their test taking strategies and study habits. I have no sympathy for a person who retires as a First or Second Class. The way I see it, their fate was in their hands their whole career. Furthermore, from talking to others and my own observations the way I see it the Navy is now starting to try to get the most bang for their buck. Why did my friend promote to Senior Chief when there were so many equally qualified Chiefs around him who did not? He promoted because there is a higher chance the Navy will get more years out of him as a senior leader. He will not just be serving his two years to be able to retire as a Senior Chief.
I will concede that there are always those anomalies, E-7’s who are not worth the paycheck they collect, and individuals who would make amazing Chiefs if only they could make it. This I see only a side-effect of our Navy’s unfortunate advancement process. Still, I know it is possible to make Chief, make it relatively quickly, and do so without stepping on the backs of your fallen comrades.
Now, having said all that, I would like to point out that I am inclined to agree with the post by ea6bflyr. The boards know you’re in a commissioning program, and know it’s only a matter of time before you’re no longer an enlisted person. What are the chances that they will promote you? I would say slim-to-none, and the only thing that makes me doubt that even a little is a post in another thread by Navywife:
3 of the guys in my husband's NSI class got Chief (all Nukes) while we were there, 4 of the guys here at the NROTC unit have made it while in the program.
Anyhow, 4 of the guys actually went to the board & everything needed for E7 (a bunch didn't) & they all made it.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.