• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top of your of OCS class!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

punac

If you graduate at the top of your OCS class do you get anything for it, I mean other than a warm fuzzy feeling for a job well done?

Dave Shutter

Yeah, you get to be held responsible for everything that's not done right during your classes time running the regiment along with a lot of extra parade practice.

gin_e

I've heard being a the top of your class gives you more sway for choosing your next assignment.

g

unfUSN

Originally posted by gin_e
I've heard being a the top of your class gives you more sway for choosing your next assignment.

g

I graduate from OCS in 2001, and back then and I would imagine still today, you don't get anything special for graduating high in the class.

Your next assignments are given by your Communities detailer... and I don't think that thye have much contanct with the school at except to make sure you are getting your Commission.

ENS Payne

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
You will get a pretty certificate to hang on your wall, just so you don't forget you are the greatest.

schmuckatelli

Originally posted by Patmack18
your rank in you OCS class means nothing. the only thing graduation order has anything to do with, is lineal number.

That is supposedly what happens but I don't think there is really any correlation between where you finish in your OCS class vs. your lineal number. Looking at the lineal number assignments for my OCS class (available at https://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/upd_CD/BUPERS/Register/ActiveMenu.htm) I could not discern any logic to the order. Our regcom was not listed first and many of the people that were candidate ensigns were listed before people that were not candidate ensigns.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Being number one in your class and having a buck fifty might by you a bad cup of joe. If the lineal number issue is true, then that means you are lower than the worst guy in the ocs class in front of you. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Dave

WFU2USN

Hi All,

This may sound hokey, but it's something to keep in mind. Do the best you can for both yourself and those you're working with, ALWAYS, be it in OCS, API, School, your first command, your last command, wherever. People are going to remember you as either being on top of things, or somewhere in the middle, or being a dirt bag.

This will, more than likely, be reflected in your FITREPS and in the minds of the people you work for and with. It's that reputation that's going to follow you in the Navy and, while there are a lot of people in the Navy, people know people, etc. and they'll remember you for being someone they want to work with or someone they want to sheeeetcan and send packing to places nobody else wants to go.

My advice is do the best that you can; that's what really counts.

Robin
IS2(SCW)

schmuckatelli

Your lineal number will always be below that of the lowest person in the class ahead of you but that is because that person was commissioned before you. What Patmack18 said about ranking within the class is what I also thought happened until I looked at the list. Who cares, though, just do what Robin said and do your best. Throughout flight school and into the fleet you will know who is on top and who the idiots are. The aviation community is surprisingly small and your reputation will preceed you wherever you go. Lineal numbers are not super important to JOs anyway since all it will do for you is determine if you are above, in, or below zone for the promotion window when you are up for LCDR (unless you are THAT GUY that wants to haggle over who is technically the highest ranking JO in the room... but if you are really that concerned about it then you probably have issues and are a dirt bag to begin with).

GTodd

My OSO told me that when you go to oCS to just chill out and do your best. He said that it realy does not matter if you are the best, just do your best. Once you get to TBS and Flight school it is a different story.

NavyNCSU

You get a "Distinguished Naval Graduate" piece of paper in your service record, but so do the rest of the people in the top 10 percent of the class.

My favorite OCS quote:
What does everyone call the candidate who graduates at the bottom of the class?
"Sir" (or "Ma'am)

Yes, it's important to work hard and do your best. But don't kill yourself because it's not the end of the world if you're only the 5-bar. :)

The most important thing is getting through and staying healthy.

falconer02

What does it matter what number you graduate at? Everyone becomes an Ensign when you gradute. I thought the regcom billet was a joke. All my regcom did was see his wife. I was the indoc commander, talk about a hard job.

Dude you don't have to number one it does't do anything for you. Just help your classmates out as much as possible. Don't be an idividual, you'll get beat that way.

falconer02

LOL....yah baby, 19 was the best class because all we tried to do was survive the candy O phase. It's a tuff phase when you only had 21 in your class compared to the classes that now have 45-50 candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.