• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun movie trivia

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
Top Gun was on tonight as I was casually watching it and noticed something that I haven't before. As Tom Cruise is walking into Kelly McGillis' house for their first dinner, you can see a car in the yard. It has a cover on it and you can see VM and then what looks like a G painted on it when he opens the screen door. Could this be VMGR-352 old squadron car they had painted like an aircraft? It was an old black Cadillac if I remember correctly.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Squadron Cars

Cavrone, what are those wings shown in your Avatar? I'm an "ol' fart" & the plethora of new wings/badges that have emerged over the last few decades have overwhelmed me...

As an aside, "Squadron Cars" are an interesting subject for a thread. I had one back in the early '70s when flying with VA-127 at Lemoore. Lots of Squadrons had them back then & some were really unique & clever. The thumbnails below are my '65 VW Bug w/ actual A-4 AR probe & chrome-plated tailhook, painted Skyhawk grey w/ livery. Any other unique "mascot" vehicles out there???:idea_125:
Photos taken on the VA-127 line & in the squadron high-speed fuel pits in '74.
BzB

Attachments

• 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 360.jpg
    360.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 51

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
We are in the process of building a squadron party bus. . .custom paint and all.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Back to Top Gun, Kansas City BBQ (the bar where Goose played Great Balls of Fire) burned down in 2008, but it looks like they are back in business.

The food was OK, but it was one of those 'check in the block' stops when I had out of town guests.

http://www.kcbbq.net/greatballsoffire/

phrogpilot73

Cavrone, what are those wings shown in your Avatar? I'm an "ol' fart" & the plethora of new wings/badges that have emerged over the last few decades have overwhelmed me...
USMC Aerial Navigator wings. C-130 navigators are enlisted (don't know if the J has navigators or not - EDIT, it doesn't - so it looks like the only aerial navigators you'll find nowadays is in the USMCR). Here's a better picture of the wings:

WWIINavyNav.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
USMC Aerial Navigator wings. C-130 navigators are enlisted (don't know if the J has navigators or not - EDIT, it doesn't - so it looks like the only aerial navigators you'll find nowadays is in the USMCR). Here's a better picture of the wings:

WWIINavyNav.jpg

Or on Fat Albert. I ran into the GySgt who's the Nav on Fat Albert in the flight planning room at Alliance after the Ft Worth airshow as he was filing Fat Albert's return to NAS Pcola. I then proceeded to bitch to my IP asking why we have Nav's and yet I was the one filling out a 175 and filing it.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Currently at Dunkin’ with @ChuckMK23 discussing important trivia!

Pop quiz…find Goose in this still shot from Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)…and bonus points for locating the error depicted below…

IMG_0689.jpeg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Stoner Bud! Holding the skateboard. Man he was young back then…but then so was I.
Bravo Zulu, Skipper Griz!

Wanna give it the old college try regarding the bonus points?

Hint #1: It’s an “attention to detail, candidate” thing.

Hint #2: “uniform”.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Bravo Zulu, Skipper Griz!

Wanna give it the old college try regarding the bonus points?

Hint #1: It’s an “attention to detail, candidate” thing.

Hint #2: “uniform”.
You got me there…is the skate board the wrong style? Is it contrary to regulations to skate in jeans? Last guess, it looks like Spicoli is using an unauthorized laundry bag?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
You got me there…is the skate board the wrong style? Is it contrary to regulations to skate in jeans? Last guess, it looks like Spicoli is using an unauthorized laundry bag?
“No!”

“No!”

“Fuck no!”

“Get back!”

- GySgt Devil Dog :D

Hint #3: Dude, it’s a spelling test.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ridiculously humongous hint #4: In the still shot “Ridgemont” is not spelled correctly…it’s incorrectly spelled “Ridgemount”…with a “u”.
Sir, the candidate just assumed the Drill Instructor was stoopid, sir!