• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Other questions about the movie:

1. The movie states that Maverick "pulled" Rooster's application from Annapolis? Would an officer who was not on the admissions committee really have any pull, and to that extent, over an applicant's file, especially if the officer was not an admiral?

2. Why was the F-14 even in the movie? Nostalgia? Would any country keep working F-14s on a base? Where are our F-14s? In the scrap heap? Musuem?

3. How would Rooster know the first thing about NFO duties on an F-14? Could the F-14 fly and fight without an NFO?
1. Lots of ways, especially for a Captain, to get involved. Plus, it makes for a good plot twist.

2. Really? The F-14 had to be in there because of the impact from the first movie!

3. I’ve flown about 15 different types and versions of aircraft and after awhile you start to realize that the cockpits tend to be similar. Could Rooster have fully fought from the back seat? No, but radio head units, radar operation, etc, is fairly similar that he could’ve figured it out. Plus…Hollywood.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

1. The movie states that Maverick "pulled" Rooster's application from Annapolis? Would an officer who was not on the admissions committee really have any pull, and to that extent, over an applicant's file, especially if the officer was not an admiral?

2. Why was the F-14 even in the movie? Nostalgia? Would any country keep working F-14s on a base? Where are our F-14s? In the scrap heap? Musuem?

3. How would Rooster know the first thing about NFO duties on an F-14? Could the F-14 fly and fight without an NFO?
First and most importantly…it is just a movie. Years and years go my dad took the family to watch “The Battle of Britain” at the theater. During the movie he would whisper to my mom things like “that engine isn’t right” or “a Spitfire can’t do that” until my mom said..”Norm, if you want accuracy watch a documentary.”

Now to your questions…

1. If you paid attention it was clear that Maverick relied heavily on Iceman to aid his career and work with him. Iceman, for example, kept him in the cockpit. Iceman and Goose (Rooster’s dad) went to the academy together and Iceman certainly knew “Mrs. Goose” and her views on naval aviation. Mav went to Ice and said “We need to pull his application.”

2. The F-14 still flies in Iran but likely not much. Mostly it was there for us old-timers (I was in primary at Corpus when the first movie came out).

3. Rooster’s entire duties in the back was to find a circuit breaker and yell “Smoke in the air!” Even as a helo guy I could follow those orders. Any aircraft with two or more seats can fly with only one seat (pilot’s) filled. Fighting is a different story but if you watched carefully the F-14 didn’t have any Phoenix missiles and the entire dog fight was visual.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
3. Rooster’s entire duties in the back was to find a circuit breaker and yell “Smoke in the air!” Even as a helo guy I could follow those orders. Any aircraft with two or more seats can fly with only one seat (pilot’s) filled. Fighting is a different story but if you watched carefully the F-14 didn’t have any Phoenix missiles and the entire dog fight was visual.

When I got a ride in the back of a F-14, the NFOs did the start up and then we jumped in the back. Either right before takeoff or right after, I was told to switch on something related to the radar. About 2 minutes after that, I was told, "Hey, you know that switch you turned on? Turn it off." Apparently the radar system was overheating (or some similar issue). I flipped the switch off and my NFO duties were complete.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
So, I think we basically just watched Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Spoiler alert:
They’re required to maneuver down a trench, and bomb a narrow target. They go in full throttle, so fast they can barely pull out in time- double entendre intended. And the new kid even bombs without his computer, using the force (“Don’t think! Just do.”) to make the big thingy blow up.

Top Gun 2: inspired by George Lucas, with Tom Cruise in a combined role as both Master Yoda and Han Solo, training the new kids, and piloting the ancient-but-still-fast, stolen hunk of junk.

:D

But seriously, it was decently entertaining. Solid flying cinematography, which was obviously their focus. A few minor plot tweaks and editorial changes could have made it a much better movie, in my opinion. My main beef is that it seemed so sterile and devoid of people in the background, leading to a very superficial feel. More extras showing the flurry of activity which is a normal flight line and ship’s deck would have made it feel more authentic to me. A bonus shot of a Rhino on jacks after Maverick’s little range maneuver would have been good for a laugh too. Also, nobody briefs a secret strike on the hangar deck. Finally, can confirm, the GBU-24 is hard as shit to properly employ, but bonus points for a halfway decent weapon/target pairing.

Out.

Last edited:

johnboyA6E

None
So, I think we basically just watched Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Spoiler alert:
They’re required to maneuver down a trench, and bomb a narrow target. They go in full throttle, so fast they can barely pull out in time- double entendre intended. And the new kid even bombs without his computer, using the force (“Don’t think! Just do.”) to make the big thingy blow up.

Top Gun 2: inspired by George Lucas, with Tom Cruise in a combined role as both Master Yoda and Han Solo, training the new kids, and piloting the ancient-but-still-fast, stolen hunk of junk.

:D

the target was even a 'ventilation shaft' ?

gradycat

First and most importantly…it is just a movie. Years and years go my dad took the family to watch “The Battle of Britain” at the theater. During the movie he would whisper to my mom things like “that engine isn’t right” or “a Spitfire can’t do that” until my mom said..”Norm, if you want accuracy watch a documentary.”

Now to your questions…

1. If you paid attention it was clear that Maverick relied heavily on Iceman to aid his career and work with him. Iceman, for example, kept him in the cockpit. Iceman and Goose (Rooster’s dad) went to the academy together and Iceman certainly knew “Mrs. Goose” and her views on naval aviation. Mav went to Ice and said “We need to pull his application.”

2. The F-14 still flies in Iran but likely not much. Mostly it was there for us old-timers (I was in primary at Corpus when the first movie came out).

All your points make sense. Thanks.

gradycat

When I got a ride in the back of a F-14, the NFOs did the start up and then we jumped in the back. Either right before takeoff or right after, I was told to switch on something related to the radar. About 2 minutes after that, I was told, "Hey, you know that switch you turned on? Turn it off." Apparently the radar system was overheating (or some similar issue). I flipped the switch off and my NFO duties were complete.
Hilarious...thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So, I just watched the movie. It was fun ride, but I am sure that most of it was fantasy. For example:

1. Would it be possible to eject from a jet in the way it was portrayed in the movie and actually survive? And, if you did survive, wouldn't you have concussions and/or multiple broke bones?

2. Would the navy really allow an officer to hang around and fly for 30 years if he/she/it/they did not make Admiral after all that time?

3. Would an F-14 or F-18 really ever stand a chance against a 5th generation fighter?

4. Would it have not been more realistic to use F-35s for the mission? Does navy actually use these planes on carriers, or they all still F-18s?

John Laurens, is that you under a different alias now?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Jesus Christ, dude. Give it a rest. ?