• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In what's one of the more entertaining games of "telephone" I've ever seen, I had mentioned to a couple of co-workers that I'd seen the names of folks I'd worked/cruised with in the credits, so I'm one degree of separation from the movie.

Now apparently a rumor is going around other parts of the company that I was somehow involved with the production. ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In what's one of the more entertaining games of "telephone" I've ever seen, I had mentioned to a couple of co-workers that I'd seen the names of folks I'd worked/cruised with in the credits, so I'm one degree of separation from the movie.

Now apparently a rumor is going around other parts of the company that I was somehow involved with the production. ?
That means you are “in” and “famous,”…or infamous! Nice work!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If only you could get some of that residual monies.....

Mos

None
Just watched this little documentary about the Soviet "Top Gun". I can't speak to its accuracy, not having read much about this previously, but found it very interesting.

TacticalTater

None
I know .. I know.. its a movie.

But a curious question that doesn't need a high detail answer.

Couldn't the -2 jet have been a Growler, since all it was doing was buddy lazing for -1? It would seem real world having some jamming capabilities would have been better than another super bug.

Back in the day our EF-111 were supposed to ingress with the strike package.

Anyway like I said just a curious question and I realize it's just a movie

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Couldn't the -2 jet have been a Growler, since all it was doing was buddy lazing for -1? It would seem real world having some jamming capabilities would have been better than another super bug.

Are Growlers cool…no, they are not…so we went with only cool aircraft.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

How is a G going to buddy laze? Did they get a targeting pod in the last year or two? (serious question... when I was a strike lead, G was not approved for ATFLIR and was not a contender for A/G kinetics).

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
How is a G going to buddy laze? Did they get a targeting pod in the last year or two? (serious question... when I was a strike lead, G was not approved for ATFLIR and was not a contender for A/G kinetics).
Not cleared for ATFLIR. You can physically put it on and it'd probably run since the SCSs are the same. More importantly, why would you? Pods don't work too well when they're below the missiles using non-existent radars for guidance.

Sonog

pilot

You know why most book to movie movies suck? Because the movie makers can't prioritize what content to keep and what content to ditch. Similar for any other movie. Top Gun 2 worked so well because they kept technobabble and exposition to a minimum, (most people don't give a shit about EW for example) and instead focused on actually making a good action movie. Also, I'm sure the Navy was all about the gross over simplification of anything tactics or mission related, because it makes scrubbing the movie of any sensitive information that much easier.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m sure if there was a classified AWs, there would be plenty of patch-wearing folks spring-loaded to “well ackchually” whatever exercise scenario led to that kill mark.

Lacking that, I just hope it inordinately wound up a few F-22 bubbas.