• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw TG2 last weekend. Was expecting to really like it based on the respected reviews I read here and much of what I saw in the press. I was not taken by it. Top Gun---> Days of Thunder---> Top Gun Maverick. What some guys call reach backs or homage to the original was simply more tired ol' groaners to suffer through rolling eyes. The story arc was way too familiar. It made everything predictable. Motley crew of type A aviators molded into a team, check. Is there any doubt who is getting side lined and why? Any doubt he comes to the rescue? Penny, really? The sing along in the Hard Deck ?? Lame ass call signs carried like they were honorifics for valor? Honestly, did they really pay the writer full scale for recreating several scenes from a "tired antique" of a film (to paraphrase @Brett327 ). Could it not have been more Mission Impossible and less Top Gun1? The flying was awesome and I really enjoyed the ops around the boat. It was worth the flying. Nothing more. I expect to have to suspend reality when I see a movie. No problem. I don't expect it to be entirely accurate. I also don't expect it to be a not so original rehash of a formula. Guess that is my gripe. All those assets and access and we got NOTHING new.

Mrs Wink hates Tom Cruise and won't see any of his movies. I had talked her into giving TG2 a go based on what I had read and heard. Now that I have seen it I know I can't take her. She will not enjoy it and I won't see it twice so soon just for the flying scenes.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I saw @Brett327 finally gave a professional review of Top Gun 2

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Saw TG2 last weekend. Was expecting to really like it based on the respected reviews I read here and much of what I saw in the press. I was not taken by it.

Same, saw it a couple nights ago. Not only was it dumb, it was like, way worse than I could have imagined. Almost just walked out. 0/10, would whole heartedly not recommend. And the flying scenes that everyone has been gushing about.......I don't think a single one of them got me excited. So that left the plot, which was even worse. I think my biggest irritation was that they seemed to be trying harder in this movie to make things more realistic/more factually accurate WRT flying. But literally every example of that was dead wrong, which just made the whole thing seem stupid.....like people G-loc ing in a steep climb (while not under G), for example. And what is this "burn in" saying? Never heard that in my entire life, both as a VFA person and not. If they had just been corny like the original, it wouldn't have been annoying. They also basically just recreated a bunch of scenes from the original, which was lame. And basing it in North Island? WTF. As a former Fallon dude (as well as Miramar for that matter), I actually took offense to that.

Last edited:

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Same, saw it a couple nights ago. Not only was it dumb, it was like, way worse than I could have imagined. Almost just walked out. 0/10, would whole heartedly not recommend. And the flying scenes that everyone has been gushing about.......I don't think a single one of them got me excited. So that left the plot, which was even worse. I think my biggest irritation was that they seemed to be trying harder in this movie to make things more realistic/more factually accurate WRT flying. But literally every example of that was dead wrong, which just made the whole thing seem stupid.....like people G-loc ing in a steep climb (while not under G), for example. And what is this "burn in" saying? Never heard that in my entire life, both as a VFA person and not. If they had just been corny like the original, it wouldn't have been annoying. They also basically just recreated a bunch of scenes from the original, which was lame. And basing it in North Island? WTF. As a former Fallon dude (as well as Miramar for that matter), I actually took offense to that.

…oh for fucks sake dude. It’s an action flick. Created by a dude who has made movies flying helicopters through tunnels chasing a train and a multitude of other ridiculous movies. This is the type of thing you take your kid to see and pay for the overpriced popcorn while playing dumb to not know anything about it. Nothing more. Enjoy it while it lasts until we go back to the regularly scheduled programming bitching about our collateral duties and plotting our airline transitions.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
…oh for fucks sake dude. It’s an action flick. Made by a dude who has made movies flying helicopters through tunnels chasing a train and a multitude of other ridiculous movies. This is the type of thing you take your kid to see and pay for the overpriced popcorn while playing dumb to not know anything about it. Nothing more. Enjoy it while lasts until we go back to the regularly scheduled programming bitching about our collateral duties and plotting our airline transitions.

Fair enough. I suppose my comments read like "but that isn't accurate"....which wasn't really my point I guess. Mainly, I just didn't find the "action" parts to be very entertaining, nor really anything else. I'll admit that Jennifer Connelly wasn't hard on the eyes.

exNavyOffRec

…oh for fucks sake dude. It’s an action flick. Made by a dude who has made movies flying helicopters through tunnels chasing a train and a multitude of other ridiculous movies. This is the type of thing you take your kid to see and pay for the overpriced popcorn while playing dumb to not know anything about it. Nothing more. Enjoy it while lasts until we go back to the regularly scheduled programming bitching about our collateral duties and plotting our airline transitions.
His review reminds me of what it was like to watch a Navy movie with a bunch of nukes, mainly if it dealt with anything engineering. They would pick apart a movie, for instance remember "Under Siege" they are trying to stop the bad guys and nukes are going "trip the TG's", "cutoff fuel to the boiler", "open the breakers", etc.....

@MIDNJAC thanks for jarring the memories loose ?

Ozarky

pilot
Just that MT posted as well. To be clear, I have no idea if that’s Brett’s handiwork. Just cracking a joke ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
His review reminds me of what it was like to watch a Navy movie with a bunch of nukes, mainly if it dealt with anything engineering. They would pick apart a movie, for instance remember "Under Siege" they are trying to stop the bad guys and nukes are going "trip the TG's", "cutoff fuel to the boiler", "open the breakers", etc.....

goofs.png