• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top 10 Worst Aircraft Ever...

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
1.) Service Record....on the red/white/blue side.
2.) Reliability...
3.) Doesn't say MARINES on the side...
4.) Everybody dogs on it so to make myself feel cool and to pretend to know a lot about it I threw it out there...

1) Iranians had some luck. Our big chance never came <a good thing>.
2) Complicated tools need maintenance. It's life.
3) Yut.
4) Welcome to the pack.

Lawman

None
My candidates:

For Rotory Wing-

AH-56.jpg

Gold plated to the nth degree. While it did demonstrate some amazing technology for the time you'd think they would know better than to try and sell an ungodly expensive (even compaired to the apache that followed) aircraft to the Army when they were loosing as many helo's to ground fire in Vietnam.

For Fixed Wing-

tornado5.jpg

Talk about building an aircraft for the sake of being different. If they (the Original Partners) had wanted an incredible low level platform we'd have sold the F-111 to them. If they'd wanted an incredible fighter/interceptor we were taking orders for F-15's. In the spirit of being different they tried to do both, on a budget, with multiple sources of demands to make happy. And in true british fashion, they made it ugly while doing it. Ive yet to hear a single positive thing ever said about this aircraft and that includes from people that flew it.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Here's a steamer for ya.....
"Senator Stennis, there is not enough thrust in all Christendom to make that plane a fighter!!"
-Admiral Tom Connelly
F-111B-2.jpg

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
XF-85_Goblin.jpg

XF-85 Goblin parasite fighter. Parasite? Really?
Would make one want to go UAV.

Overheard at the club..."That's right babe, I'm a parasite driver."

Redux

+1 on the grossly underpowered not so Screamin Demon, whatta pig. My "class picture" was us in front of one, even the A4 that we had was "cleaner" to a 18 year old kid that didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
The F3 just looked "big" if nothing else but as they said it had a "modern" hydraulic system which it did at the time I guess.

B

Blutonski816

300px-Lockheed_XFV-1_on_ground_bw.jpg

and

300px-Convair_XFY-1_in_flight.jpg

My favorite quote from the wikipedia article for the XFY:
XFY and XFV contributed nothing to the development of modern VTOL aircraft.

It felt like it was written with such disdain that I just could not help but laugh for a second...

Lobster

VF141F3H.jpg

The Phantom's older brother, the F3H-1 and F3H-2 (F-3B) Demon.

The really early birds had the POS J40 engine, and most of them were sent to Memphis (Millington) to act as training aids.

Also, even though touted as an "all weather" fighter, it could not fly in "visible moisture" or it would flame out. It was around until 1964 and the folks who flew it were glad to get the F-4.

Is it just me or do these things look like pigeons?

bluesig1

sure thing
None
If anyone has been to the transportation museum at Ft. Eutis VA. They can check out some weird experimental aircraft that are pretty neat on display. I didn't take pictures while I was there but here are some of the pictures from the Ft. Eutis website. These were aircraft that were made but never put into production, all looks kinda sci fi

image006.gif

Wouldn't want to fall off :eek:

image004.gif

image008.gif

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For Fixed Wing-

tornado5.jpg

Talk about building an aircraft for the sake of being different. If they (the Original Partners) had wanted an incredible low level platform we'd have sold the F-111 to them. If they'd wanted an incredible fighter/interceptor we were taking orders for F-15's. In the spirit of being different they tried to do both, on a budget, with multiple sources of demands to make happy. And in true british fashion, they made it ugly while doing it. Ive yet to hear a single positive thing ever said about this aircraft and that includes from people that flew it.

The F-111 was not the premier attack platform it would become when they started developing the Tornado, and the F-15E was still 15 years away. I would never include it in any 'worst aircraft' list, especially with its fine combat record.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Certainly not the worst….. just not viable. But still interesting:

The Convair F2Y (F-7) Sea Dart
ar654xf2y1seadartpk7.jpg

and the Martin P6M-1 'Seamaster'
p6mseamastermakingwaveska8.jpg

Youtube vids:

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
...or one's that had horrible safety records (Think SH-2) but they served well and don't deserve the worst label like the one's I listed.

An H-2 pilot told me once that some of the mods to the aircraft over the years were a direct result of someone getting killed by the SeaSprite (2nd engine, 4-bladed tail rotor, certain hatch latches, to name a few).