• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Took the OAR today -- here's my report with a few surprises!

SixNapoleons

I've been lurking here for a while and really appreciate all the info everyone has shared to help me prepare. I've been pulling out my hear and practically living in the library for the last four days.

First, about myself: I am a "liberal arts" guy and I always thought I sucked at math and science. I started crash coursing, basically teaching myself math at Kahn Academy and using the study guides recommended here, and I would say I improved my math skills about 1,000% in that short amount of time.

I took form 5 on a computer. It ran well with no glitches or problems I've read about other folks having. One thing that surprised me was there was no clock or other indication of how much time I had left, so it's a good thing I wore a wrist watch with a chronograph.

I found the OAR math section to be significantly easier than the study guides I'd been practicing with. The word problems were all pretty easy, the only tricky ones were straight up formulas that involved a lot of calculation.

The physics section had a few questions that look like nothing I've seen ANYWHERE. I studied the Barron's book, the Arco book and all the gouge on this forum and never did I see a question about G force. There were two G force questions on my OAR. Basically they were asking when a pilot was experiencing the most G's in a "loop the loop." I had to intuit them and guessed it was at the top, when the pilot was upside down. No clue if I got them right or not.

At the end of the day I made a 55. I am submitting for SWO. Coupled witha 3.615 GPA and 6 years since graduating running and growing my own business and being very active in the community (on several non-proift boards, ran for public office, lots of volunteering/pro-bono work and on a municipal committee) and several good LORs do you think this gives me a good shot at SWO?

I previously applied as PAO reservist and was not selected despite aforementioned good LORs and some really great officer appraisals.

pathogenic.panda

I have to take the ASTB in 2 weeks, I am not really sure how to approach the studying. I have a B.S. in Microbiology and have some calculus background, but I do not think calculus will be helpful at this point with the math. Which sections on Khan academy did you watch that actually helped you with the math portion of the exam?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Unless you're fucked up and doing 270* at the bottom of your loop. Then the IP is like WHOA! Thank god we have a speed brake.

*this post may/may not be indicative of shit I have really done

MasterBates

I found that a constant AOA pull has been the best for loops without too much mental math.. 20 unit pull in the Turboweener and 17 in the Goshawk IIRC

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The physics section had a few questions that look like nothing I've seen ANYWHERE. I studied the Barron's book, the Arco book and all the gouge on this forum and never did I see a question about G force. There were two G force questions on my OAR. Basically they were asking when a pilot was experiencing the most G's in a "loop the loop." I had to intuit them and guessed it was at the top, when the pilot was upside down. No clue if I got them right or not.

Not at all my friend, not at all. ;)