• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Took exam yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghead1

I took the ASTB yesterday, and it wasn't too bad. The hardest part, I think, was spacial apperception. My suggestion to anyone trying to study this is draw your own pictures, with no clouds and focus on going out at 45 degrees from shore with banks. As for the rest of the exam, the study guide on this site is great, and the ARCO book helps reinforce what you study. I am not sure how I did yet...will find out tomorrow afternoon.

froghead1

Well, I talked to the recruiter today and he said I did really well on the exam. I got a 58 OAR, 7-AQR, 7-PFAR, and 6-NFO FAR. Although my GPA is pretty low, he said I will still be competitive if I focus my application more towards the ASTB scores. So, here goes. Any recommendations for the application? Thanks for everyone's help.

ScottHook

I had a similar problem in my application in that I majored in Art History, which offers very little. My score was a little lower (55 with a 4,5,4), and I decided to take a chance and retook it. Turned out to be a good idea since the second time I got a 65 and a 9,8,9. I really did ride my score for the rest of the app. Not that you need to retake it, that score should be great I imagine.

For anyone else, there is a study guide out there simply for military flight tests and it breaks down every view for the spacial apperception. It lets you turn it into a formula and makes it a ton easier (hence my 9,8,9).

plumberphil

Selected PLC-C 186 Ground
I'm not sure if you are referring to the Navy or the Marines, but with the Marines you don't have to finish your application before you take the ASTB, but you do need to get the app. in fairly quickly so you can get your letters of recommendation taken care of. I'm taking the ASTB on Monday so wish me luck.

Jake

Daedalus

Scott,
"For anyone else, there is a study guide out there" are you talking about the Marine Corps study giude on this site, if not where can we find it.
Also what was your gpa?
Thanks
-Chris

Good luck Jake

plumberphil

Selected PLC-C 186 Ground
My OSO recommended the study guide by ARCO titled Military Flight Aptitude Tests, make sure you get the most recent version with the three F-16's on the front. Also, make sure you are studying the gouge from this site especially the spacial apperception. Thanks.

Jake

asrom17

Hey guys-
Just wanted to ask what you think about the relative importance of the ASTB. I kind of blew it on the mechanics and only got a 45- which i know is pathetic- but i have a 3.7 GPA and a master's in international relations. also i'm going for intel and not pilot. i know the boards are coming up- do you think i should risk missing these and take the test again or will my gpa even things out?
Thanks...

justmeryan@yahoo.com

asrom,
I got a 42 my first time, a 54 the second. I am going supply with a 3.7 gpa as well. They told me that I probably would not need to retake the test (after the 42) because it was based on the total package and not just the score of the OAR. However before my first test he also told me that you really need a 50 to be considered competitive. Anyway, I am glad I retook it, cause if they were recommending me to the commander at a 42, I know I am in with a 54.

asrom17

Thanks Justmeryan- and congratulations on your score!
I know it's best to be safe and I'm totally willing to take it again, but I heard the next round of boards for intel were meeting in a couple of weeks, and i don't want to miss them. It'd help if i knew how often the boards met, but my recruiters don't know. Unsurprisingly. Is that info available anywhere online?
Thanks again..
PS I really do hope they look at the total package, because if a significant portion of my navy career is going to involve calculating the area of parallelograms, I'm screwed.

froghead1

Just found out that I was non-select for Pilot, NFO, and Intel. Now, after getting the scores I mentioned at the beginning of this forum, I am going to take the ASTB again. I hope I can pull my scores up or at least do as well.

tydaddy

just make sure that you do better...because it's not like the sat's where your best score counts...and from what i was told...you can only take it 2 times now...

Status
Not open for further replies.