• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Took ASTB on 02/23/04, What do last 2 scores mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jca320

The forum was undergoing a few changes after I took the test.

With the help of this forum I went into the exam well prepared. I scored a 65 OAR and a 9/8/7/5/3. I am slightly aware of the what the 9/8/7 scores mean, and can look those up. What do the other scores mean? I was told they were just statistical scores...

For reference, I am applying for Intel then Crypto. and have a 3.2 GPA at UC San Diego in Computer Science.

Thanks

John

DairyCreamer

The 5 and 3 scores are likely your Pilot Bio Inventory and your NFO Bio Inventory respectievly. They don't count at all toward your selection at present, as the scoring of these sections has been suspended.

~Nate

jca320

DairyCreamer said:
The 5 and 3 scores are likely your Pilot Bio Inventory and your NFO Bio Inventory respectievly. They don't count at all toward your selection at present, as the scoring of these sections has been suspended.

~Nate

Yeah, they say that, but why do they continue to test it? Funny huh?

For those wondering I took the test at the ASWB in San Diego. Great test proctors.

If you have any questions about the test, send me a note.

John

jung

jca320,

Great score! I'm going for intel, crypto as well. I scored 48 so I'm going to retest for a better score. I guess my math BA is worthless.

jca320

jung said:
jca320,

Great score! I'm going for intel, crypto as well. I scored 48 so I'm going to retest for a better score. I guess my math BA is worthless.

I wouldn't say it is worthless. It all depends on what you studied in your program. What is applied math? How much modeling did you do? Those types of skills can be and are used in the real world.

One of my profs was an applied mathmatician. By figuring out how to schedule the jobs required to build a Nuclear submarine he shaved 6 months of the Build time saving the FedGovCo a good amount of money.

You have hope. Those are the kind of qualities the the Navy would want. At least that is what I think they need.

John

jung

I did pure math (90% proofs) designed for grad school but changed my mind about getting my Ph.D. in math after graduation. I have an impression that the Nuclear program is easier to get in than intel or crypto so I'm thinking about taking the required calculus based physics classes to qualify for the program. I meet the calculus requirement but not the physics.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Jung,

The main reason Nuc is easier is because it's a larger, unrestricted line community. Also, it's very different than the other communites. For SNA, SNFO, Intel, Crypto, you submit your package, cross your fingers, and hear back either yay or nay. With Nuke, you submit your package (if you have a 3.0 or above in a technical degree you're pretty much a shoe-in) and see if you screened to interview. When you get word of acceptance, you head in to DC for the technical interviews. These basically consist of 2 interviews with civilian engineers who ask you questions like "derive the spring constant" or "Solve this integral and graph it". It may sound easy, but it's tough when everything on your transcript is fair game, and the guy is sitting right across from you while you figure out the problem. After that you get to talk to ADM Bowman, where in a 60 second interview, he tells you whether you're in or not. Fun stuff. ;)

jung

I don't know how to derive the spring constant but can definitely solve an integral and graph the solution. I may have a better shot at Nuke than Intel/Crypto since I have sort of a technical degree. I just need to take college physics for them to look at my packet. But I don't know how useful Nuke is outside the Navy. I know Intel/Crypto is useful in the FBI and CIA.

jca320

jung said:
But I don't know how useful Nuke is outside the Navy. I know Intel/Crypto is useful in the FBI and CIA.

Here are the two qualities you will gain in Nuke.
1. technical skills.
2. Leadership skills in technical area.

Number 2 is huge. I have talked to Nukes when touring. They get great offers from the private sector because of their leadership skills and technical ability.

John

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
This topic is a few weeks old but I just wanted to add something to the question of "how useful Nukes are outside of the NAVY".

I have a buddy who is a former enlisted Nuke in the NAVY, and he just got a nuclear engineering job thats paying $75,000/year at a Nuclear power plant. He said they gave all the applicants a standardized test and because of his NAVY experience he passed it with ease.

jung

theblakeness said:
This topic is a few weeks old but I just wanted to add something to the question of "how useful Nukes are outside of the NAVY".

I have a buddy who is a former enlisted Nuke in the NAVY, and he just got a nuclear engineering job thats paying $75,000/year at a Nuclear power plant. He said they gave all the applicants a standardized test and because of his NAVY experience he passed it with ease.

Thanks for the info. I guess Nuke isn't useful for a special agent position at the FBI which is my ultimate goal.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
jung said:
Thanks for the info. I guess Nuke isn't useful for a special agent position at the FBI which is my ultimate goal.

Could be helpful to land you as a counterterror agent in FBI. Especially, since you have experience in the nuclear field, you be used to defend against a asymetrical nuclear device. Just a suggestion. Too, your service experience would be viewed favorably. Just my $0.02

jung

Jolly Roger said:
Could be helpful to land you as a counterterror agent in FBI. Especially, since you have experience in the nuclear field, you be used to defend against a asymetrical nuclear device. Just a suggestion. Too, your service experience would be viewed favorably. Just my $0.02

I never looked at it from that angle. I read from the FBI site that they want military experience in intelligence. Since Nuke Officers need a year of calculus-based physics, what do enlisted Nuke sailors need?

Status
Not open for further replies.