• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too Late to Join NROTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPensador

I'm about halfway through my junior year of college and applying for BDCP, but I was wondering if it was too late ot join NROTC. I've heard stories of people joining ROTC and NROTC as late as their senior year, so just in case I don't make BDCP, I was wondering if I had a shot. Anyone know what the cutoff time is?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I don't know any specifics.... that being said. When I was a mid we have a few instances where last semester seniors would join. Here was the catch, they still had to do all of the naval science classes... ie they had to wait to graduate until the classes were complete.

My advice, call the NROTC unit that you are interested in and talk to their recruiting officer.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Yeah like "bch" said you are going to have to double up on Naval science courses in order to get your commission. So you might be able to do it, just be aware that it might put a damper on your degree and weigh down your courseload each semester - not to say that it cant or hasnt been done before. Go over to the detachment and talk to them. Im my personal opinon its better to talk to them in person, it shows leadership if you do decide to go that route. I am currently a MIDN in NROTC and and I transfered in my soph year so I am having to double up as well. But also take into consideration that you can also get some of those courses out of the way at the Naval Science Institute over the summer

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yes, you can. Basically it's like what the other guys said. I joined ROTC at the beginning of my junior year and had to go to NSI (Naval Science Institute) over a summer to catch up. It wasn't so bad. You will have to double up your senior year...I don't know if you are going to want to take two semesters of Navigation your senior year. I hated that. But if it's what you want to do, then go for it. Also, BDCP is extremely hard to get into because you are fighting for a designator. It's a little bit easier to get aviation through ROTC because the numbers of slots rarely change. Just something to think about...Good Luck.

PhatFarmer35

I had a similar question. Say you apply for BDCP your junior year and toward the end of your junior year you find out you were not selected. You could just start NROTC at the begining of your senior year and make up all the classes right? When during your senior year would you apply for a pilot slot and when would you know whether or not you were selected?

snizo

Supply Officer
Farmer,

I think you make it sound easier than it is. It is surely possible, but the easiest way to do it would probably be to get things all set before the summer (assuming you mean your senior year is next year) and go to the Naval Sci Institute before your senior year where they will catch you up on about half of your Navy classes. Then you could catch up on the other half during your senior year (probably not easy, but definitely possible!). Talk to the unit recruitment officer to find out what programs might be available for you.

Service selection is usually started about ... 5-8 (or even up to 12) months before graduation. People graduating this Spring (May) or Summer (July/Aug) at my unit submitted their request at the end of Nov and heard back in early Jan. You might be at a disadvantage, though, if you do this all your senior year since one factor influencing your acceptance to flight school will be your performance in NROTC and only being there your last year won't give them a whole lot to judge you from. The unit aviation officer can probably help you out more with this.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

I'm actaully only a junior in high school. I was just trying to figure out the best way to try to get a SNA slot. I wasn't sure if I should start NROTC freshmen year of college, or if I should wait until my junior year to apply for BDCP. Junior year is the earliest time you can apply for BDCP and PLC, and if I'm not mistaken, when you do NROTC you sign your contract with the Navy during your sophmore year, which means I would not be able to apply for BDCP and PLC.

Would you suggest I start with NROTC my freshmen year and take my chances getting a pilot slot through NROTC or USMC PLC (I can apply my freshmen year)? Or should I not do NROTC until I apply for BDCP and PLC and find out if I was selected?

Thank you for replying.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
PhatFarmer,

I don't know which route will "guarantee" you an SNA slot, but there are ups and downs to both. If you do NROTC, you won't have student loans when you graduate, but if you don't get SNA, you may be stuck with some URL designation you don't necessarily want. Another thing, since it seems like you may be interested in the Marines, have you thought about doing NROTC-Marine Corps option?

ElPensador,

If I were you, and I didn't get BDCP, I think I would just settle for a regular OCS slot. It's either 13-weeks after you graduate, or it sounds like your last year and a half of college will be a huge pain in the rear. I know us OCS guys only regret for not doing ROTC was that we didn't get our college paid for. Otherwise, we were happy to have college all to ourselves.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
OK PhatFarmer,

If you are a good student and are serious about being in the NAVY and flying for the NAVY then you should apply for a NROTC schalorship and apply to the USNA. That way you can get things rollin early. If you get into the Acadamy you will almost surely get a SNA or SNFO slot when you graduate. As far as NROTC you wont find out whether or not you get that slot until about 6 months before you graduate. But if you want to become a marine, then you can do marine option with NROTC and can be garanteed a SNA or SNFO slot - pending that you dont get your eye gouged out or something catostrophic happens to you. With BDCP you are garanteed either an SNA or SNFO slot once accepted into the program. But you are at a point in your life to where you have alot of options still open to you. I diddnt really know what I wanted to do until my soph. year. So just do your research, learn from the posts in this forum and live and die by the gouge!

OK something's not clicking for me here.

From what I've heard from my unit, in order for me to get a commission through either ROTC or ROTC's College Program, I need to be "qualified" prior to getting into either Advanced Standing for the College Program or to get a scholarship. Now I'm hearing about guys who are getting into the program as late as midway through junior and senior years. Pardon me for being really fricking confused. Did any of these guys have any prior experience...enlisted, or whatever? If not I'm gonna have to get some clarification.

ElPensador

Vegita - I was the one who mentioned people getting into ROTC/NROTC late in their college careers. I know it's possible for Army ROTC because I talked to a lieutenant at my school's unit about it. As far as getting into NROTC very late, it was something I was told by someone who knew someone who knew someone, etc. But if it's anything like the ROTC deal, it would mean cramming in a bunch of required classes within the next year and a half. But bottom line is, I can't confirm being about to get into NROTC late, but you definitely can with ROTC.

ThisGuy - I know I still have the option to apply to OCS after I graduate; it's just one of those things where I'd rather be guaranteed my commission sooner rather than later. Like you said, I do regret not going NROTC earlier, but it's really not about the money, so much as knowing that I'm gonna be a naval officer. But yeah, 13 weeks is a very sweet deal compared to a year and a half, especially with a year and a half of BDCP money coming in.

fsuchick

On my own...
vegita-

In order to receive a commission through NROTC, you have to be either on scholarship (2 or 4 year) or in the Advanced Standing Program, which is like the College Program I believe. For 2 year scholarship and Advanced Standing, you MUST attend NSI (Naval Scince Institute) to be officially qualified to sign a contract. You also have to be medically qualified before attending NSI. I know this firsthand because I've applied for the 2 year scholarship and Advanced Standing programs, and if I don't get into either, or if for some reason I'm unable to attend NSI, I can't sign a contract and receive a commission in 2 years. It is not possible to catch up on 4 years of naval science classes in 2 years without NSI.

Hope this helps!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
There really is no substitute for actually contacting an NROTC unit and getting real gouge from the staff. They will know what to tell you because I'm sure they've dealt with your various situations before. If you need help contacting a unit, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to hook you up with some contact info.

Noze

Status
Not open for further replies.