• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too late to go in?

kdfieb

I am currently 19 years old and a freshman in college. Earlier this year, after checking it out, I realized that I want to go to the Academy. I was in an accident earlier this year and because of that I will have to go to school for four more years. However I was wondering if I should apply to the Academy to start in the fall of 2011, by then I will be 21. My big Q is will it be abnormal for a 21 year old to go in to the Academy as a freshman? Or would I be better off taking a different path to commission?

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I didn't go to the academy, but I know that there are some older freshmen who were prior enlisted. If you wanna do it, do it, who cares of you will be older?

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
All Naval Academy midshipmen must graduate before their 27th Birthday. If you enter at 21, you should be fine.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Make sure you had a competitive high school run and that you are taking the sort of classes in college now that are taken by plebes. You can see what the "freshman" academic program is like from the USNA web site.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Age won't matter. Plenty of guys are older. We have a few guys in my company that came in as 22 year old plebes.

sfrankie08

pilot
as long as you start plebe summer before you are 23 then you are fine.. we had a few guys in my company who were older.. just meant they could go to the bars and drink as youngsters and we couldnt

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I believe you must matriculate before you're 23, so you should be safe. Hopefully someone can corroborate that with an instruction. I'm too lazy vegging after work.

Tomodachi

pilot
Directly from the USNA Admissions website:
http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps2.htm

United States citizen:
Good moral character;
At least 17 and not past their 23rd birthday on 1 July of the year they would enter the academy;
Unmarried;
Not pregnant; and
No dependents.

If you meet the above and can get a nomination, GO FOR IT!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am currently 19 years old and a freshman in college. Earlier this year, after checking it out, I realized that I want to go to the Academy. I was in an accident earlier this year and because of that I will have to go to school for four more years. However I was wondering if I should apply to the Academy to start in the fall of 2011, by then I will be 21. My big Q is will it be abnormal for a 21 year old to go in to the Academy as a freshman? Or would I be better off taking a different path to commission?

Since you'll be a junior by the time you apply, I say finish out your last 2-3 years of college and apply for BDCP/OCS. Not bashing the USNA, but it's beyond me why someone would want to "re-start" college when you could be commissioned elsewhere a lot sooner.

sfrankie08

pilot
I am going to have to agree with rufio. I have a good friend who graduated from college with EE degree (Penn St) Then started all over again at the Academy. They don't really accept other college credits, as they have their own validation tests you take. He says it was the right decision for him. I also had another friend who was in your position that came to Academy and regretted it every day he was there (especially plebe year). If your end goal is to fly/join the Navy finish college and join (or apply for ROTC). If your goal is to graduate from the academy and then serve..then do it.