• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

too late for nrotc?

agentamulek

I have been considering all my options lately and I was wondering what opportunities are available for upperclassmen through nrotc. I noticed the two year scholarship stipulates that you apply prior to the spring session of your sophomore year so I am too late for that, but if I pushed back my graduation date another year to leave me with two years left to graduate, would they call foul? I am thinking this redshirting option might be my last since the Tweedale scholarship is probably out of my reach. What do you all think?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't see a problem with it...any way you slice it, you're only asking for 2 years of your education to be paid for. I know ROTC guys have to apply for a fifth year to have it paid for, and then they owe an extra year on thier commitment (of course, for aviators, this is a non-issue).

I'd say try it.

However, if you're pushing back your graduation soley to get the ROTC scholarship, I'd suggest looking at BDCP. If you legitimately need that extra year to finish your studies, that's not a bad option, but if that falls through, you can still try BDCP...more than one way to skin a cat.

Dalamara

Why would the Tweedale be out of your reach?

If it's because of GPA then I don't think you'd have a very good shot at the 2 year NROTC scholarship. Those are very competetive scholarships from what I've been told.

I'm going to use the Tweedale scholarship next semester, and the CO said that nobody's used it for 5 years at the school I'm transfering to(University of Missouri, Columbia).

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Your best bet would probably be to talk to a ROTC unit staff member at your school- sounds like it might be workable though. If you can't pick up the 2yr, you might be able to pick up advanced standing.

agentamulek

After this term my gpa will be around 3.3 so Im probably a little on the low side as far as that goes. I was assuming it was out of reach for a couple reasons...1.because there are so few of them and 2. because my school is very large and there are plenty of qualified applicants on campus.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Its been said before, and will be said again... you'll never know unless you try. The worst that can happen is you end up staying where you are.

Dalamara

University of Missouri(Mizzou) has more than 50,000 students. No one has used the Tweedale for 5 years. Most people doing NROTC aren't a technical major, and most of those that are prolly have the 4 year NROTC scholarship already, so go ask about the Tweedale.

T

TXHusker05

Actually, U of M has 27,985 students currently enrolled (undergrad and grad) including international students. While I don't know why the Tweedale hasn't been used, it seems like someone might have caught on there at some point. It is a good school, I hate the football team (I'm a Husker :) ) but it is a good school with a lot of great programs. The campus is really nice too, too bad Columbia sucks so much.

As for my advice, I agree with zippy... you might as well try. You might make an appointment to see the PNS at the NROTC program you wish to attend and ask him if it is too late to apply for a 2 year scholarship. Otherwise, take a look at BDCP.