• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too Good to be True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airborne

Hi,

Ive been learning alot about this program from the forums, and it just sounds too good to be true. How come this isn't a more widely known program, I have some mid friends at the Academy and they had never heard of it before and were telling me to be weary of it.
Do you have any statistical information about the kind of people who get in, how many applicatnts to how many appointees etc.

Thanks alot, help is very appreciated.

jaerose

It's not too good to be true...I'm in it. I am currently paid E-5 base salary plus BAH and food allowances and have been since May 2003, which is the equivalent of a 5 month paid vacation. You get your summers off. I was in another program (CASH) for one year, then transferred to BDCP and have over 3 years of service without actually doing anything other than going to school. I have insurance, build leave (just lost 30 days I couldn't use), use the TSP, paid for and already used some of my MGIB (senior year = an extra $900/month). I started at E-3, but got promoted to E-4 after making the Dean's List 2 consecutive semesters, then to E-5 upon graduation (can also get E-5 earlier for referrals). This time counts towards retirement and I'll be maxed out at 0-1 upon being commissioned. I'm about $75k ahead of the game and don't have to 'shop' myself around. Great deal as I'm sure all in the program would agree. I had to find out about it myself because the enlisted recruiters (around my area at least) won't tell you about officer programs, but that's probably because they don't really know the details. Plus, you have to have some prior college, so a lot of the HS kids that want to go Navy don't qualify, so the rest of us have to do a little research, but it's worth it.

JR

BTW, anyone who meets the minimums is eligible for the program and you can use it to get into all designators (I think). It's probably more competitive than the minimums for most programs, though.

navsup

BDCP Supply
I cant say that it is too good to be true, because I am in bdcp and enjoying the benefits. However I can say that it is much more competitive then the recruiters first make it out to be. I was under the impression that as long as you meet the minimums then you can do the program. After waiting 6 months to get accepted I realize that its harder to get in then it seems.

airborne, are you thinking of applying for bdcp?

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
The BDCP HAS to be competitive, among other things, so that the Navy produces the best Officers in the world thru BDCP. If not, any Billy Joe Bob with a 2.7 GPA and a 23 OAR could get into the same program. If you are a competitive college guy, then this program can give you rewards for your hard work. It's supposed to be competitive, because if it weren't, the Navy would be basically giving away money to anyone who was wanting to become an officer in the Navy in their freshman year of college. As everyone knows, the military IS NOT made of money. They have a budget.

version2point0

getting accepted into the program is quite tough, but i made it in and my OAR was only 49. as for the benefits, they are great. the program is relatively new, too, so the word is getting out. the pay is great, my wife doesnt have to work, and my daughter has already racked over $600,000 in heart surgery bills. not only that, im only E-3 in BDCP. THANK YOU NAVY!

these are all the more reasons im working my butt off to be the best i can be in OCS. im not tall, im not built, but i am smart and i can keep up with the jocks, so all i can do is keep the goal in mind. trust me the BDCP is just as great as all the stories you hear!

-v2.0

jaerose

Wow, V2.0, I hope your daughter is doing well.

Airborne, I wasn't really 'prior Navy.' I was in CASH, which is an enlisted program that lets you get one more year of college before going to boot camp, then when I found out about BDCP, which I had to do on my own, I switched programs. So, really I'm not prior since I've had no formal training.

JR

Airborne

I am going to college next year and want to be a pilot but don't want to do ROTC or the Academy because they look lame, and people have told me they are as lame as they look. Furthermore I know it sounds bad, but I do not want to do anything but be a pilot in the military, which can be hard going the ROTC route.
I am going to set BDCP has a future goal, and now that I am learning what it takes I can start to gear myself to get the right GPA, and other requirements.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the above is true enough. One correction though. The program actually got its start in the mid 80s when I was an active duty recruiter. It was much smaller then and restricted to pilot and NFO. When I got started supporting recruiting through the reserves all these years later I was shocked it had expanded so much. The value to the navy is to have very high quality candidates commit to a program years in advance. This esentially allows recruiting command to lock out expected vacancies years early so less time and money is spent filling quotas at the last minute. Recruiting "in year" can be more or less difficult based on several factors including the economy. BDCP allow the navy to snatch the best candidates early, before they are tempted by big offers from civilian companies. USNA and NROTC guys hate the sound of it for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.