• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tons Of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chericheri

Hey everybody,

Graduated FL State a little over a yr ago- majorally screwed up in school- was there to party not to learn...got appt. to naval academy out of h.s. decided on fsu to have freedom...anyway have a 2.5 final gpa w/a degree in engl. so my recruiter says it's gonna be really tough to get in. am going to buy book now to study for OAR test...recruiter told me nothing about it- give me some help on that!! i take the test THIS THURSDAY!! what happens after the test?? when will i have to take a physical test? HELP HELP HELP i'm so lost!!
also- have always wanted to fly- have about 20/80 vision is totally out right? So next choice is NFO of course- so what exactly does this entail and how can i better my chances of getting it?
will being a woman help at all? what all does the whole process entail? i am just starting?
how long does this take?? i thought i'd be able to start relatively soon but after reading all of these posts i'm thinking not!

thanks guys!! i WILL make it through this and get into OCS somehow so I"ll see y'all sooner or later!!

USMC-2-USN

primary...i hate FORMs
You are required to have 20/40 correctable to 20/40 to be a pilot. You might get PRK and submit a waiver if you really want a SNA spot. otherwise to be an NFO you must have 20/100. In addition to the eyesight requirement aviation applicants take a different test to got in and have to pass anthro measurements to make sure you will fit in a cockpit

To get into OCS right now with the number of JO spots reduced you will need to be really competitive. I am not sure if 2.5 too low but i am sure you will need an otherwise competitive package as far as ASTB/OAR scores, LORs, etc. Being a woman can't hurt your package either

If it doesn't work out for you you could enlist and apply for OCS from the enlisted side, or start a masters degree and do really well at it and then re-submit a OCS package

Good luck

chericheri

Thanks for the response!! Helpful...just finished a nice 3 mile run...i teach spinning at a gym 5x/wk so i'm in good shape but i'm stepping it up big time now cause i know my gpa is putting me behind in the beginning!! urg... do we get to write an essay or anything as part of our app?? That would really help me...so i bought a book to study for atsb...so it's math, reading and mechanical right? what's oar? and lor?

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I'm not positive about the GPA, but from what I've read, I think most programs require at least a 2.7 GPA. I went into my recruiters one Friday afternoon, and they explained the whole process in applying for OCS. I went ahead and took the OAR that night without studying and did decent (I made a 52, which was high enough for the program I wanted). When I did it though, you could retake the test later if you did not do as well as you like. I've heard, but I'm not sure if this is true, that you only get one shot at the OAR now, so I would find out for sure before you take it. If you don't feel prepared, don't take it. Reschdule and take it later, when you feel better prepared. I don't remember exactly what was on the OAR, but I remember being very thankful I was a marine/mechanical engineer (a lot of math and engineering like questions, plus I think English questions). I'm really not sure about the pilot parts of the test. I really wasn't concerned with that part of the test because I have no intrest whatsoever in being a pilot (shocker!!!! I know, some of us actually don't want to be pilots :D )

So I acutally had a 2.4 or 2.5 when I applied, but I really beefed up my package to help compensate. I included 13 recommendations (ranging from retired military-officers and enlisted, current military-again officers and enlisted, profesors from school, people I've worked for, etc.). I also included all my quals I had been signed off for on ships, my advanced marine firefighting certificate, all of my CHENG (chief engineer) evaluations, etc. Basically, I included anything that would show the Navy that I really, really wanted this (and anything they might find usefull). So, even with a low GPA, make everything else look as great as possible. Work on the personal statement. Even if it sounds cheesy, I hear that sometimes the people the make the Professional Recomendations really take those into consideration.
Finally, before submitting anything, go over your application with a fine tooth comb and get someone else to go over it to. Any tiny little mistake or mispelled word will show a lack of attention to detail. I actually had a dictionary sitting on my desk when I did my application because I can't spell to save my life (as you can tell from this).
Good luck!! Don't give up, even if things seem hopeless. It took me 5 years of all sorts of "stuff" to finally get excepted ("lost" ROTC applicatin, medical stuff, etc.).
-Erin Leigh

bbennett73

For pilot and NFO, you'll be tested on basic nautical history and terms, aviation history and terms, math, mechanical comprehension, reading comprehension, spacial aperception, biographical/personality test, I think that's all.

OAR=Officer Aptitude Rating-a composite score based on certain sections of the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery, I think)

LOR=Letter of Recommendation

agentamulek

theres an astb study guide(which stands for aviation selection test battery) on this site in the gouge section(i dislike that word very much). its labeled astb.pdf i believe. if you cant find it just send me a personal message and ill get you the one off my computer. if youre going for pilot just make sure you get prk and not lasik, if you get lasik you will NEVER fly, or get nfo for that matter. the astb isnt too bad but youll want to study hard to help offset your gpa/major situation. theyre telling me i dont have a good chance at aviation with a 73 oar and a 3.95 in psychology just because of my major, but im not sure i agree. if you do well you should be ok, if not, theres always grad school. do better there gpa wise and you would set yourself up very well. good luck and i wish you the best.
-sean

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
olpa9901 said:

The website says if you're designated, you can have really crappy vision (no limit), but to apply, you need to have diopters not greater than +/- 8.00 (which is really bad).

Also, that 20/40 requirement for pilots is for applicants, once you're in flight school, if your vision deteriorates, you can get glasses/contacts. (one of our pilots has 20/50)

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
Thisguy said:
The website says if you're designated, you can have really crappy vision (no limit), but to apply, you need to have diopters not greater than +/- 8.00 (which is really bad).

Also, that 20/40 requirement for pilots is for applicants, once you're in flight school, if your vision deteriorates, you can get glasses/contacts. (one of our pilots has 20/50)

+/- 8 is greater then 20/100... and i'm -3 and i'm WAY past 20/100 and got in.

hobbz

Final Select NFO
olpa9901 said:
+/- 8 is greater then 20/100... and i'm -3 and i'm WAY past 20/100 and got in.

Precisely. For NFO it doesn't matter what your vision is uncorrected, just that it can be corrected to 20/20. Anything worse than a +/- 8 diopters means your eye is shaped like a football and you won't get 20/20 vision w/ correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.