• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tons of questions from the NEWGUY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonG

Hey everybody!! Im new here and due to the excellent questions and answers here I decided to join the forum.Ill be the questions guy :) Im a freshman in college. I am interested in the Navy's BDCP, as well as the AirForce. I was wondering what is BOLD-C; its spoken of as hell?? I know SERE is some "good" stuff:)but never heard of BOLD-C. I noticed theres a few guys here on the BDCP. Is it really as easy as was said by the Navy rec. to get the scholorship and NA slot?? Whats the washout rate these days? Is allergies to dust mites considered DQ? Thanks for the help guys :)

Later,
Jason

Musiqlover

Dear Jason,

If you search the forum I bet you could get most of your questions answered. Your questions have been asked by many before, including me, and they are in the forum if you click on the search button above. Just a helpful piece of advice. :)

Paul

PM

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jason, welcome to the forum...

quote:I was wondering what is BOLD-C; its spoken of as hell??

I guess you are talking about the Basic Officer Leadership Course that you have to take after Advanced training, it is two weeks of boredom, interspersed with moments of extreme boredom. A long way away for you...

quote:BDCP. Is it really as easy as was said by the Navy rec. to get the scholorship and NA slot??

The Bachelor Degree Completion Program (BDCP) is a great opportunity, I believe you get paid as an E5 while in it. Should be some posts around here on the forum with more info on it, since I didn't go through that program.

quote:Is allergies to dust mites considered DQ?

Hmmm... is it documented? "Allergies, what allergies?"

JasonG

He guys thanks for the welcome. Just recently I checked out Nomi's psych directory on pilots (personality traits...etc.). What can I do to make myself a good pilot candidate for the future? Also, what can I do to make myself a better officer,and able to get through OCS and all of NA training. I dont want to washout!! Especially for airsickness or something. Besides I just promised a Major (Cobra pilot) from the Marines that Ill get those darn wings :) Any info on ANYTHING is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Jeff29

Science Project
What John is saying is that if there is no documentation of you being allergic to dust mites, then the allergy doesn't exist. When you fill out your medical history form for the Navy, you answer all questions with the preface, "has this been medically documented?" I was actually given this advice by a Navy doc (unfortunately this was after I had already told them about my hayfever).

If it is documented, go to www.nomi.navy.mil (it will redirect you to a new site), click on aeromedical waiver guide, then click on "ear, nose, throat". There you will find details for what is disqualifying.

--Jeff

JasonG

Hey I did go to the allergist and was tested. I am allergic to dustmites and am now on Allegra. I feel gine just had chest congestion due to a 40 year old interior in my house (dust heaven). First I thought I had ASTHMA!!! Thank G-D I dont. Anyways I called NOMI. They said its fine and that ALLEGRE if needed is easily waiverable as well as Claritin. Hopefully Ill be fine, and as long as my vision stay tip top for the next few years. I hate this -washout- at any moment life of wannabe NA . Oh well, what comes will come. Is it true that if the MEPS physical goes well than passing the flight should not be that much more difficult?

Musiqlover

Dear Jason,

No offense Jason, but do you have to take medication just because of an allergy to dustmites? If so, you will have to go through extra loopholes when applying for Pilot. Just so you know. :)

Paul

PM

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Jason,
Don't be silly and at your entry physical and offer the doctors a bunch of ailements. Honesty is always the best policy but never to doctors who stand in the way of your wings. Let them find the problems never offer. Once you have your wings then you can come out of the closet. Hell, you can tell them your typhoid Mary's longlost son it won't matter, you'll have your wings. By the way, who's the Snake driver that you know. Just curious. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

I've jumped through a medical hoop or two myself, but take it from Frumby! Don't give them any extra ammo to use on you!

D

spidrwmn

Hi
I have a similar problem (with allergies). I went an allergist about 7 years ago. So wouldn't that be in my medical file? How do you get around that?
- spidrwmn

Jeff29

Science Project
The guidance I was given was to only say 'yes' to things that have actually been diagnosed by a doc. With hayfever (which most people don't have diagnosed) they also ask a general question about having taken anti-histamines, etc., so it's hard to get around it without lying.

If your condition can be controlled by a steroidal nasal sprays or claritin or allegra, it doesn't matter anyway. You can take all of those and still fly. If the docs know about your condition, they'll just take an x-ray of your sinuses and clear you (no waiver required).

At least this was the policy about 30 minutes ago when I finished my flight physical.

JasonG

Hey Frumby, can you give me a run on the Marine Core aviation sector? Compared to Navy and AF (if you can)? The snake driver is Major Steve......sportshero is his e-mail and SN. Hes about in his 40's. Thanks for the info everyone. One more thing to ad though......if I have something on record can the military docs find out , like my allergies to dustmites (if keep my mouth shut ofcourse)? I also wanted to say that I was having breathing problems because of the old carpeting and general stuff in my house. My parents dont care and since Ive been home 24/7 for the year it got to me. I was diagnosed with the flu, bronchites, and then eventually Pneumonia. All because of a lack of house maintanence. Good thing Im going away for college. Oh and my parents dont care to do anything........theyre never home and think its in my head or I have Asthma!!! Geez......what a ruff year. See you all in the air!!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
First off: your private medical records can not be accessed by military Docs. Remember one thing about flight Docs, these are all individuals who graduated from Med school but have not done an resident program anywhere (most of them). If you meet one that's a LT, chances are they have less then 3years in the military. They make mistakes and DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING. YOU CAN ALWAYS GET a second opinion from a senior flight surgeon if you disagree.
By the way, for all of you who have allergies to dust mites etc, better make sure that you can control it because one of the NASTIEST and DUSTIEST place on earth is a freaking aircraft carrier.
Jason, get it straight: CORPS not core. Comparison from the Marine sector, simple. Marines, inventors of close air support (WWI), inventors of vertical envelopement tactically using helos (Korea), first to orbit the earth, Warriors elite, feared throughout the world and then there's the Navy and the Air Farce. Comparison complete.
Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ASUPilot

Frumby,

I love your posts...so blunt and hardcore. You seem to articulate things the same way I would. I'm an Air Force guy but is there any way there's a Marine trapped in my body...?

ASUPilot

JasonG

sorry about saying core instead of CORPS. I will not make that mistake again. As far as allergies to dust mites.......Dust Im ok with....its those little guys that feed off of dead skin. They cannot live on metal or in just dust....they usually are found in old carpeting and pillows etc. I was told aircraft carrier/ocean would suit me fine. Hope Ill be good to go, and make a fine air driver for the Navy someday !

Status
Not open for further replies.