• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcat Yawstrings

jmcquate

Contributor
I have the week off (starting s new job). I went to NASM Udvar-Hazy today and took the highlights guided tour........the F-14 yawstring was included as a "highlight". Made me chuckle. It was compared to the yawstring on the Wright 1903 Flyer.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
or like this one on my rental PW-5
082808_9-1.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You should have out-nerded the tour guide and pointed out that the Wright's yaw string also functioned as an AoA indicator- while the instrument for that in the F-14 was a much more complicated affair ;)

Renegade One

None
I have the week off (starting s new job). I went to NASM Udvar-Hazy today and took the highlights guided tour........the F-14 yawstring was included as a "highlight". Made me chuckle. It was compared to the yawstring on the Wright 1903 Flyer.
Probably falls under the category of "If it ain't broke…" :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, that F-14 yaw-string was indeed a preeecision instrument. Seriously.
It was fun to trim, and trim again and again, to try to get it perfectly aligned.
You guys wouldn't know offhand, but I think I had one in the F-9 too.

Renegade One

None
It was fun to trim, and trim again and again, to try to get it perfectly aligned.
"Grampaw…what's an F-9?" :cool:

jmcquate

Contributor
Panther yawstrings.....maybe Tigers too. A Grumman innovation.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Grampaw…what's an F-9?" :cool:
As you know, it was once The Advanced Training Command's, "Transonic" Fighter.

f9formation.jpg

We had one syllabus hop - it's only purpose was to break the sound barrier.
On mine, most of the hop was spent to climb to high alt. Then at full power, go into a steep dive.
Some guys exceeded Mach 1, I didn't. Close... as in hand grenades and horse shoes.

Renegade One

None
As you know, it was once The Advanced Training Command's, "Transonic" Fighter. We had one syllabus hop - it's only purpose was to break the sound barrier.
On mine, most of the hop was spent to climb to high alt. Then at full power, go into a steep dive.
Some guys exceeded Mach 1, I didn't. Close... as in hand grenades and horse shoes.
And the purpose of this "syllabus hop" was….?

I assume you got a Pink Sheet? "Failure to achieve flight objective"?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And the purpose of this "syllabus hop" was….?

I assume you got a Pink Sheet? "Failure to achieve flight objective"?
Seriously, it was a free-bee, fun hop. But still a legit, syllabus hop.
Some of the old and bent F-9's with centrifagal flow engines could; and some couldn't achieve the purpose - to break Mach 1!

You couldn't get an "above" or "below" grade unless you crashed, or saved the free world.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're right Cat, we flew F9F-8s in advanced at Chase, and they did have yawstrings. I recall we found them to be strange in a (then) modern swept wing jet Fighter.:confused:
BzB

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had one syllabus hop - it's only purpose was to break the sound barrier.
Reminds me of a guy I went through Meridian with (who shall remain nameless) who scared himself shitless on his T-45 FAM solo by discovering transonic pitchup. Tried to see how fast he could go, and almost over-Ged the jet on his dive recovery/decel to stay in the MOA. Followed by a frantic check of NATOPS upon landing to double-doublecheck that he hadn't overstressed the airplane. For better or worse, I was not so daring the first time I got the keys to a Goosehawk. :)

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
During my time the great boondoggle/freebie was to send NFO's to Beeville/Kingsville to catch a ride or two in the F9F. Killing time between P-cola & Glynco. Great time, I got Beeville, better deal because the Q was full so PerDiem & live in town for 3 weeks. My roommate was a Navy guy who had to punch out on his 2nd flight. Both OK, but he returned to P-cola and DOR'd.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Reminds me of a guy I went through Meridian with (who shall remain nameless) who scared himself shitless on his T-45 FAM solo by discovering transonic pitchup. Tried to see how fast he could go, and almost over-Ged the jet on his dive recovery/decel to stay in the MOA. Followed by a frantic check of NATOPS upon landing to double-doublecheck that he hadn't overstressed the airplane. For better or worse, I was not so daring the first time I got the keys to a Goosehawk. :)

Threadjack...
It was tough to get going fast enough from ~23K to 10K to actually get above ~.94 in Meridian... by the time you got fast, it was time to pull up... On the umpteen A-Pros done, I don't remember the nose pitching up so much as losing aileron effectiveness.... "screaming" (with that fat little wing on the Goosehawk) at 40 degrees downhill from 41K with the stick 3/4 left or right (started at around .91 if I recall) to maintain wings level was pretty interesting, and always caught the new FCF folks by surprise no matter how well we briefed it...

One of the other "less talented" FCF guys came back one day and told me he got supersonic... he was probably giggling knowing that I was walking on an A-Pro, and knowing I'd try to outdo him.... got to .98, 3/4 left stick and the ailerons got a-buzzing, I thought they were going to depart the jet. Needless to say, I never tried again... Fahgedabahdit. Do not try this young grasshoppas... disregard that NATOPS says you can get supersonic. You might do it... once.