• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcat Vs. Super Hornet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner

This may have already been discussed but, I was wondering what everyone's opinion was about the Navy phasing out the Tomcat and bringing in the Super Hornet?

jrklr

From what I hear, the Tomcat doesn't really have a use for the role that it was designed for anymore. The Tomcat will still always be my all time favorite plane though.

Burner

It is one of my fvorites as well. Do you think that the Super Hornet could effectively fill the void left by the Tomcat, if need be?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
What are the differences in the Super Hornet and Hornet? Thanks.

Maverick: "Slider... (sniff sniff)... you stink."
- Lt. Pete Mitchell, Top Gun -

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Im one of those people that think that the tomcat can never really be replaced. Its been around since the early '70's and still kicks ass. Though its main role was carrier defence and their isnt much need for that these days, that doesnt mean that we may need it some day.

Can the Super Hornet even carry the Phoenix??

The differences between the hornet and super hornet, besides the noticable size difference, is supposed to have new power plants, can carry more, and is capable of more aerial recon. I have heard people say that it can fly circles around the original, but thats all hear say.

perchul

Does the Super Hornet need to carry a Pheonix....No. The need for stand alone aircraft like the Tomcat is dimishing quickly, the Tomcats big advantage is that is had the best radar of any fighter, but with JSTARS and Hawkeyes have better radar and the ability to deliver superior information to aircraft like the the Super Hornet circumvents the need for fighters to have the type of Radar the the Tomcat has. The Tomcat is a Dinosaur and the Super Hornet are the mammals, while by all physical respects the Dino is superior when physical superiority isn't crucial how far does that get the Dinosaur. I enjoyed Top Gun too, but the F-14 needs to say goodbye, and I just want to see it go before it becomes like the Rolling Stones

klray77

Having been a former plane captain on the F-14B, I can tell you that the Super Hornet will be a welcome new-comer to the maintenance crews on the ground. The main difference between them being that the Tomcat was controlled largely by hydraulic systems, while the Super Hornet, as well as the Hornet, use fly-by-wire technology. Not only is fly-by-wire technology easier on ground crews (because there is no fluid leaking), but I would imagine that it would be more reliable in combat as there is probably redundancy built in to the system.
The Super Hornet maintains it's little brother's mission of being capable of air-to-air and air-to-ground operations. It will carry significantly more fuel and payload than the Hornet which was an issue at times with the Hornet. It will be somewhat faster than the Hornet but probably not as fast as the Tomcat was able to go.
As jrklr mentioned earlier, the mission for which the Tomcat was originally designed had gone away. The Navy does not have to worry so much about a long-range bomber threat against it's carriers and other ships. The Tomcat was designed to take the fight to the former Soviet Union's bombers and defeat them before they could launch weapons against our carriers. I don't know if this strategy would ever have worked and I'm kinda glad we never had to find out. Since the fall of the Soviet Union and the abscence of a threat against the United States with a credible air force, the Tomcat was transitioned to handle an air-to-ground as well as an air-to-air mission. Sometimes you might hear the Tomcat referred to as the "Bombcat".
Although the F-14 was successful at performing it's air-to-ground role, the maintenance requirements have become the main issue in finding it's replacement. Parts are become harder and harder to come by and advancing technology will make the F-14 more obsolete in years to come.

JayManC

regarding the phoenix, i was under the impression that OTH (over the horizon) weapons were strickly frowned upon, and that we were precluded from using them. although i guess it gave way to first look, first shot, first kill.

<insert something witty here:>

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Originally posted by perchul
Does the Super Hornet need to carry a Pheonix....No. The need for stand alone aircraft like the Tomcat is dimishing quickly, the Tomcats big advantage is that is had the best radar of any fighter, but with JSTARS and Hawkeyes have better radar and the ability to deliver superior information to aircraft like the the Super Hornet circumvents the need for fighters to have the type of Radar the the Tomcat has. The Tomcat is a Dinosaur and the Super Hornet are the mammals, while by all physical respects the Dino is superior when physical superiority isn't crucial how far does that get the Dinosaur. I enjoyed Top Gun too, but the F-14 needs to say goodbye, and I just want to see it go before it becomes like the Rolling Stones

LMAO..sorry man!
angel_125.gif
. I honestly was a tomcat fan long before I ever even saw Topgun. Thats just me though. I'll be honest with you, im not all gung ho about the JSF either.

jrklr

I thought that the Tomcat did have fly-by wire for the main controls?
Even though the super hornets can't carry the phoenix, I've heard that the Tomacat never had to fire one in combat anyway. They need to make a Top Gun sequal but in the super hornet insted of the Tomcat....

BeanFighter

pilot
All,
Fly by wire does not equal absence of hydraulics, study your systems a bit more.
Hornet Vs Super, both have strong points but hornet wins pure BFM fight.
BVR (beyond visual range) is the preferred method of disposing the enemy if he is declared "bandit".
Good info above on radars. Future elec scanned phased array radar for the Super will kick ass. Keep us the chatter boys, it's all good.
Bean

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I always thought that would be a good idea. Keep the Tomcat, but maybe lower the numbers a bit and bring in the super hornet also.

Rainman

pilot
Not sure you're listening. .. .

Tomcat too old to maintain.
Tomcat will get too old to fly (airframe hours!)

Tomcat must go bye bye.

Rainman

pilot
I believe they'll still have Tomcat squadrons until 2008 - 2009. .. Can't procure enough SuperHornets to do it any sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.