• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcat Catapult Shot

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Why do Tomcat crews take the cat shot leaning forward in their straps where every other airframe puts their helmet back on the headrest?

Renegade One

None
Why do Tomcat crews take the cat shot leaning forward in their straps where every other airframe puts their helmet back on the headrest?
As I recall, the "first motion" of the airframe was slightly downward (more nose-strut compression), which due to the curvature of the seat headrest, tended to "bat your melon" slightly forward…and than the seat would whack your melon about a fraction of a second later. It was just easier to lean forward until the forward thingie was evident. That's my recall, anyway.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
You'll still see dudes lean forward for the stroke from time to time. I always assume it's preference more than anything. There was a squadron in our Airwing that did it for every stroke. YMMV.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Tomcat dudes =
chet-from-weird-science-making-eggs.jpg

I keed...sort of.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I lean forward on the cat shot because the vibration from the head rest makes it hard to see the HUD. I have never flown a Tomcat.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
CDR Ward “Mooch” Carroll stated that it's because no self-respecting “Turkey” driver would take a CAT shot with his head leaning against the headrest. I think it was partially a take it like a “man” thing...

jmcquate

Contributor
This thread has revived a question I have about why the F-4's extended nose gear, F-14's compressed nose gear and F-8's change the whole wing's AOA for the stroke? Was it a bridel vs launch bar thing?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meh, heads are not positioned for the cat shot, but BY the cat shot lateral "gs"!:eek:
With due respect to CDR "Mooch", I'd much sooner measure a Pilot's 'coolness' by his aircraft position on the glide slope, rather than his head positioh on the cat launch.;)
BzB

jmcquate

Contributor
Meh, heads are not positioned for the cat shot, but BY the cat shot lateral "gs"!:eek:
With due respect to CDR "Mooch", I'd much sooner measure a Pilot's 'coolness' by his aircraft position on the glide slope, rather than his head positioh on the cat launch.;)
BzB
There is that..........and watch /sunglasses.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
and radio calls. Definitely can't forget that.

If you can make your ball call last for the entire pass you get an _OK_ right? Imagine Matthew McConaughey calling the ball. "three zero one Hornet Ball, four point one ott-t00-mattt-tticc" TRAP.