• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

tomcat asymetric wingsweep tests early '80's

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Worse yet...landing on the boat with spolier brake selected and getting those puppies locked up for all to see as the wings swept coming out of the LA.

Checklists, checklists, checklists....

OscarMyers

None
Mr Flanagan,

Did they set the asymmetrical wing position on deck and take off like that or did the smart guys rig something up for the test pilots to be able to induce that in flight? That would have been a rough T/O if it was done on deck.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re:
"What I did have once – and something Grumman said could never happen – was full asymmetric flaps and slats on departure. I would have ejected, except we were suddenly inverted at a few hundred feet. Not a pretty story........:bigeyes_1 "

that was a secret mod to augment roll rate with the wings foward.
:)

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
One dude took a jet baha on a FCLP hop at night... apparently got up to tire speed, jet just wouldn't rotate, blew tires, missed the long field gear, killed the motors prior to going into the grass... Hard to rotate with the Horizontal stab stops in whilst in oversweep (RIO didn't check for spoilers on wipeout either)... crew finally came clean after claiming they blew tires on takeoff and aborted. Maint folks couldn't figure out how wings got into oversweep with no motors, thus no hydraulics.... he is a TPS grad now, our best and brightest? We all made stupid nugget mistakes, but this took the cake from a cruise experienced dude... yer only as good as yer next hop.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
and then there was the guy who shut off the transfer pump and then shut down the left side while taxiing back to the line.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Whats the stall speed fully sweep?

I'm no Tomcat expert, so I won't pretend to answer this question, but as a generality, pointy-nosed jets don't really have a "stall speed" in the sense that civilian aircraft do. There are too many variables to really come up with a reliable one-size-fits-all number like you can throw around with a light single or twin or something. You will have a max AoA for a given configuration, and the indicated airspeed that corresponds to this will be a function of G, gross weight (which becomes a factor in mil aircraft), altitude, etc. Keep in mind that some jets can also keep flying controllably well into what is traditionally considered a "stall".

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
generally speaking, the the tomcat with the wings back never got close to a stall. as alpha went up, wing sweep angle went down.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
generally speaking, the the tomcat with the wings back never got close to a stall. as alpha went up, wing sweep angle went down.
Except and unless you are doing a Sierra Hotel, 400kt+ 4-plane break with the wings fully swept in MANUAL, and you forget or miss the AUTO coolie hat. Then on downwind and suddenly in unexpected heavy buffet, you go "oh shit!" and quickly put the wings back in AUTO, saving you from stalling, crashing, burning, dying, and especially, not looking good. :paperbag_

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
that's what "generally speaking" is for :)

re:
"Then on downwind and suddenly in unexpected heavy buffet, you go "oh shit!" and quickly put the wings back in AUTO, saving you from stalling, crashing, burning, dying, and especially, not looking good. :paperbag_ "
yep, forgot about that.

i would blame the rio for that maybe even more than the pilot.
:sleep_125
"there's 280, gear. wings are comming. 220, flaps."

better to die than look bad.
:dunce_125

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
i would blame the rio for that maybe even more than the pilot.
:sleep_125

Hah! I'd like to see you try to blame Yossarian for that! :D
Indeed I never would... or I would have to suffer the consequences from the Yoss. :eek:

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
yeah...well, ben was a bit unique.
not sure normal rules of aerodynamics applied in ben's case.
:)

ben today
...20031_100573559977996_100000760571457_11969_322436_n.jpg