• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Today I took ASTB form 2 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

cessnajet1h

Well, for everyone here who is wondering about what form 2 has to offer here is what I remember. First I did not do the whole test because after taking the Math and Mechanical sections I was graded and explained what was in from of me. My math was very marginal and mechanical a little better. But I was given a choice to continue or not, I did not becuase I want to apply for a pilot slot and no marginals allowed. I am extremely disappointed because i did study quite a bit, but i tell you that nor the ARCO or the MC study guide is like the Form 2.
THe math part was alot of geometry at least 8 questions, like finding the area of a triangle but the triangle has only letters not numbers etc. Algebra is the next, I really can't explain how it really was because I thought i had done well, but my intuitions were wrong. The mechanical I remember water running through a pipe and in what section is the water running the fastest. Penduallas , also slopes, pulleys, not too hard, like i said i did better there.
Anyhow, I am taking the test again in Sep. 11 any advices, I guess i will be taking form 1 but good luck to you all, wish me the same.............

Wings

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Call me crazy but I have the feeling your recruiter gave you the runaround. If this is the first time you took the test he is SUPPOSED to give you Form 1 (if I'm wrong here people let me know but this was what I was told). That being said ..... did he tell you how you did (i.e. how many you got right) or did he just say that you didn't do well. I could be wrong but he might just be trying to cover up for his mistake. I'm not out to "get" anyone .... this just sounds strange. Anyway .... good luck on FOrm 1!!

Philbrook4

You can take form two on the first try. In my experience, applicants took both forms, they split them up equally--

cessnajet1h

Hi, Philbrook4
You know I wish you all the luck, All i really remember was alot of geometry questions, including this specific question- what is the if the sin of a triangle is a/c what is the cos of it....that is trigonometry and I think i got it right the cos is b/c, these are angles..other than that the mechanical is ok, study the slopes and pulleys....

Wings

cessnajet1h

hey Spin,
You know I think phil is right because like 3 other people took it and guess what, i was the only one that got form 2, my luck!! I think is randomly, but the next time I think they are supposed to give me form 1....he did tell me my score but i could not related to the scale of 1-9, he told me that i was just marginal on the Math and the Mechanical was fine...he suggested to retake it.....I know i am going to ace the other sections but math has always haunted me down even in elementary school. You know the funny thing is that I fly here out in the civilian world, about 300 hours flown in many fixed wing aircraft and all of the navagation and compitations that you are going to do is not even close to the crap in on the test..............on my opinion the test does not measure you ability to do well at something..........good luck dude

Wings

thepilot33

I took form 2 about 3-4 weeks ago and got all 8 and one 9, so here it goes.

Math/Verbal.
1)More math than verbal (think around 8 verbal questions out of 37). 2) Know your geometry, that is the majority of the questions. One asks for the square root of a decimal, another question ask for the distance between two points (the formula: Sq root of (x2-x1) squared plus (Y2-Y1) squared). The verbal is not hard at all. JUST READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY!
Mechanical.
2)This was where I missed the most, and I was not even sweating this section. One question has a hole on the right side of a rocket and asks what direction it will go, another has a incline plane and asks what pulley set up is more efficient, another ask what point on a pulley will be effected more by the weight, A or B (both will be effected equally), I believe there is a question that asks where the balancing point on a fulcrum is, could be wrong though.
Spatial Orientation.
3)When I opened this section of the test my heart stopped. It was nothing like the Acro book. I thought for sure I would bomb this section. None the less is you stick with the three procedures for figuring out left/right bank, up/down pitch, and on/off shore you will be fine. It is tougher than the study guide because there are more choices that closely resemble the correct answer and the bank angles are steeper and must be determined from relatively similar looking angles of bank.
Aeronautical/Nautical.
4)Extremely easy missed only one. Every single question on this section of the test is covered in the Marines study guide. There were two tricky ones. The first man to orbit in space (not just to be in space, but to orbit) is the Russian guy, not John Glen the American. Second, the elevators on an aircraft control pitch and therefore altitude.

If you have down the Marines study guide you will ACE it! Good luck

Spin

SNA in Meridian
My bad, ....... well .... good luck to all .. !!! KNOW THE MARINE STUDY GUIDE COLD ..... for Form 1 know what a Canard is and where it is on a plane and for Form 2 I remember there being one of those questions when a rock is dropped in a tank filled with water and they wanna know the vol. of the rock ....

cessnajet1h

Hi, anyone knows about the other book calle military flight abtitude test but is not the Arco, is from Learning express, just wondering if it is any good????????

Status
Not open for further replies.