• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

to dip or not to dip, that is the question

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Please clue me in (and pardon my ignorance): what does it mean to "dip" the flag?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just like a salute. When two ships pass, they dip their flags. Junior ship first, followed by the senior boat.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
skoal%2010%20ct.JPG

Once again, I mistook the meaning of this thread from the title

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The article notes that the religious service flag dip/salute is not performed anywhere else in the Navy, but it did not point out the one religious tradition found throughout the fleet. The religious pennant is the only flag flown above the US flag. When religious services are being conducted a religious pennant may be flown above the national ensign on the same staff. I have not had the opportunity to witness that in a few years, but it happened on all of my cruises and on the base flag pole at North Island and Pcola when I was there.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The article notes that the religious service flag dip/salute is not performed anywhere else in the Navy, but it did not point out the one religious tradition found throughout the fleet. The religious pennant is the only flag flown above the US flag. When religious services are being conducted a religious pennant may be flown above the national ensign on the same staff. I have not had the opportunity to witness that in a few years, but it happened on all of my cruises and on the base flag pole at North Island and Pcola when I was there.

I have very often seen the religious pennant being flown on the same pole as the national ensign, but never above it. I remember it this way because I always thought it was funny at 29 Palms when the garrison flag would swallow the religious pennant whole. This has nothing to do with either dipping a flag or dipping tobacco by the way. I'm just bored.