• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To accelerate or not to be (accelerated)

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I have read a few other vague posts on this topic, but needed a bit more info if anyone's been there, done that.

I have some prior flight experience and was curious if you are forced into the accelerated training during the initial stages of SNA training, or do you get some say in it? There is no doubt in my mind that flying as a civilian is nothing like flying the Navy way so I would like to get as much of the basics as possible. Also, do they even know if you have prior flight experience if you don't walk around bragging about it?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They'll ask you if you have prior flight time beyond IFS. If you have enough prior time to have skipped IFS, that'll be in your record. And even if you don't volunteer it, it'll become immediately apparent to the instructor the first time you go flying (ask me how I know this).

I think accelerated training is a matter of squadron (or at least TraWing) policy. The way it worked a few years ago, you could opt out of the accelerated syllabus if you wanted, but the skipper was encouraging guys to at least give it a shot, with the promise of a mulligan if they felt they were then in over their heads. Reduced TTT uber alles, and so on.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I was in VT-6 and no one was accelerated. A couple of buddies of mine in VT-3 and VT-28 were accelerated. The students never had the choice in the matter. Sure, the squadron would take a student out of the accelerated syllabus if they couldn't handle it but it would probably take a couple marginals or unsats. With the new NSS system marginals or unsats really hurt you. I would try to avoid being accelerated. All those in C-pool in Whiting just pray you are lucky enough to be in the best primary squadron, VT-6.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I was in VT-6 and no one was accelerated. A couple of buddies of mine in VT-3 and VT-28 were accelerated. The students never had the choice in the matter. Sure, the squadron would take a student out of the accelerated syllabus if they couldn't handle it but it would probably take a couple marginals or unsats. With the new NSS system marginals or unsats really hurt you. I would try to avoid being accelerated. All those in C-pool in Whiting just pray you are lucky enough to be in the best primary squadron, VT-6.

When I was in 6, I had 2 guys in my class who went through accelerated. They selected 3 months before I did and both got tailhook. They were both commercial guys with a bundle of hours before going in, so they did their 2 flights in each block and kept their good average, vice doing 4 more flights each block which could only have hurt them. There was also an NFO to pilot LT who went through while I was there. He was accelerated and got an 80 NSS (old system).

I heard of nobody who got burned by the accelerated program, while I was there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do you know this? What are the clues?

There is such a thing as a natural good stick, but nobody instinctively knows how to fly. Your comfort with the airplane is something that's only gained with experience. And if in doubt, a couple of trips around the pattern will erase all doubts...it takes a few hours before you can make landings that don't scare you and the IP.

And as for how I know, it was a rhetorical statement. I ain't saying. :icon_tong

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
When I was in 6, I had 2 guys in my class who went through accelerated. They selected 3 months before I did and both got tailhook. They were both commercial guys with a bundle of hours before going in, so they did their 2 flights in each block and kept their good average, vice doing 4 more flights each block which could only have hurt them. There was also an NFO to pilot LT who went through while I was there. He was accelerated and got an 80 NSS (old system).

I heard of nobody who got burned by the accelerated program, while I was there.

Thanks for the info. I have heard that if you can avoid going accelerated then avoid it, but I am glad to hear they don't typically try to screw you with it. The reason I ask is because I have about 1300 hours and will probably have about 1600 hours by the time I get to OCS. I would assume if they got wind of this they would put me in the accelerated program. Not that I don't think it's doable, but I would like to stay on the same level as everyone else since I will be competing for a limited number of tailhook slots. No sense making it any harder on myself if possible. I am sure the instructors will notice its not my first time flying. Maybe I will have to play dumb for a few weeks : )

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I would like to stay on the same level as everyone else since I will be competing for a limited number of tailhook slots. No sense making it any harder on myself if possible. I am sure the instructors will notice its not my first time flying. Maybe I will have to play dumb for a few weeks : )

First, don't be a Blue Falcon and get into the "we're all competing" mentality. Cooperate, graduate.

Second, your hours and prior experience are no guarantee of success. Naval Aviation is a whole 'nother ballgame. We've washed CFIIs out of API before, and that's before they even set foot in a cockpit. Some don't make it through the program through arrogance - i.e., I don't have anything to learn, I've always done it this way, wake me when we get to the bomb-dropping part.

Third, and you might have been kidding about playing dumb, but in case you weren't - don't. As I say, they'll know, and an integrity issue will at least get you a pink sheet, maybe bounced altogether. If you don't want to be accelerated, then say so, but don't try to keep your prior time to yourself.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
First, don't be a Blue Falcon and get into the "we're all competing" mentality. Cooperate, graduate.

Second, your hours and prior experience are no guarantee of success. Naval Aviation is a whole 'nother ballgame. We've washed CFIIs out of API before, and that's before they even set foot in a cockpit. Some don't make it through the program through arrogance - i.e., I don't have anything to learn, I've always done it this way, wake me when we get to the bomb-dropping part.

Third, and you might have been kidding about playing dumb, but in case you weren't - don't. As I say, they'll know, and an integrity issue will at least get you a pink sheet, maybe bounced altogether. If you don't want to be accelerated, then say so, but don't try to keep your prior time to yourself.

Didn't intend to sound arrogant, sorry if I came off like that. Navy guys are at a whole different level of flying, no doubt about it. I guess that is why I humbly realize why the accelerated thing would be such a jump if faced with the option. Thanks for your imput though. I always appreciate a good reality check, guess thats why I love this site, you guys always cut to the truth.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Didn't intend to sound arrogant, sorry if I came off like that. Navy guys are at a whole different level of flying, no doubt about it. I guess that is why I humbly realize why the accelerated thing would be such a jump if faced with the option. Thanks for your imput though. I always appreciate a good reality check, guess thats why I love this site, you guys always cut to the truth.

The fact of the matter is, you WILL be asked about whether you have any civilian experience. If you fit the bill (and it sounds like you do), you WILL be accelerated. It is about what's best for the squadron and the Navy, not what is best for you. You may just be accelerated through contacts, or maybe just RI flights, or maybe not at all. If you suck, you will be put back in the normal syllabus. It is true, being accelerated used to be a good deal under the old NSS system where total graded items were a factor. Now...not so much. Still, on the whole, accelerated students tend to do much better than those with no experience (because they suck less). Good luck, and keep you class advisor/flight leader in the loop. If you feel like you are struggling and they see you are giving it your level best, they will slow things down for you.
Good luck.