• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tips for living in the field...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
not a marine, but during my government sponsored camping trip in maine a cup of MRE coffee did wonders for making my day, if i had had a french press i would have been loving life.

Eating Mountain Sorrel leaves was a treat. Tasted like green apple.

Lawman

None
not a marine, but during my government sponsored camping trip in maine a cup of MRE coffee did wonders for making my day, if i had had a french press i would have been loving life.

Depending on who was in your platoon at OCS you could almost get main meals for the coffee in the MRE's.

Drew0203, be comfortable with your sexuality. If you've never spooned with another man to stay warm before, you will.

Other stuff I can add in for suggestions,

Get your boots off and keep them off as soon as you can ones your in for the night. We had some guys sleep in them either due to pulling firewatch or because they just figured it'd save time. You have just started the next days excersises with wet feet.... way to go.

Dont go to far into the tree line when pissing, and keep your tent zipped up. Lots of guys made new friends with many of Quantico's massive population of insects/spiders. Also keep in mind the night we did the night compass course we had a game going to see who could kill the most brown recluse spiders in my platoon, one guy won with 4. Also watch yourself for ticks.

Second/Third all the comments about wet naps, dry clothes/socks, and light weight hygiene gear. You'd be amazed how much more relaxing it can be to get into a set of dry clothes and wipe yourself down so you dont have that stank crotch/armpit feeling.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Drew0203, be comfortable with your sexuality. If you've never spooned with another man to stay warm before, you will.

Dude, for a guy that hasn't been to TBS you certainly seem eager to bring that up.

I'll reserve judgement until February. And yes...I've seen the pics.:eek:

usmcecho4

pilot
Tactical spooning was a continuous. And you haven't lived until you've shared a willie pete bag with another man for warmth.

n1402216_30059011_8427.jpg

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Wow, I was in Alpha '01. That means FEXs from January through April. Can't say it was ever cold enough to spoon. I do remember shivering for 4 days after returning from the field though.

Raptor2216

Dont go to far into the tree line when pissing, and keep your tent zipped up. Lots of guys made new friends with many of Quantico's massive population of insects/spiders. Also keep in mind the night we did the night compass course we had a game going to see who could kill the most brown recluse spiders in my platoon, one guy won with 4. Also watch yourself for ticks.

Goodluck with finding a tent at TBS. You sleep in the open out here and to keep the bugs as far away as possible, lay down your pancho under your isomat or whatever it is you are sleeping on.

We had the pleasure of conducting FEX I during the "100 year rain". Luck was on our side the first night and we didn't get drenched but the second night, it was a monsoon out there. We were camped out on R-5 and luckily enough we were in the treeline. I'll tell ya, a pancho has never been more useful than that night. We ended up making "tent city" by the end of the day and slep rather comfortably during the night. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• tent.JPG
    tent.JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 138

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Tactical spooning was a continuous. And you haven't lived until you've shared a willie pete bag with another man for warmth.

n1402216_30059011_8427.jpg

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Ok this is scary b/c I know everyone in this photo. Which one are you? BTW nice "muzzle awareness" to the second guy from the right. I know who you are.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah during our war we got seperated from our gear alot (dont do that) so we took to carrying a poncho liner in the SAW spare barrel bag. You wouldnt think you could fit a fire team under one poncho liner but if it is cold enough you can.

Raptor2216

For all the newbies, get ready for the war because its back. Charlie co. (us) were the first ones to do it and it didn't go as they had planned. I don't blame anyone because it was something new but guess what, we got to suggest ways to "improve" it...and improve they will. Just to give you an idea...be ready for a nice long movement to contact with your main ruck...sucks especially if you are the RTO or carrying the 240G. This along with many other fun events will be planned for a possible 5-7 day event....have fun!

winger

FNG
We ended up making "tent city" by the end of the day and slep rather comfortably during the night. Here is a picture.

Don't count on being able to pull this sh*t. In no way am I trying to sound like a hardass, but our SPC's would have crapped all over this little setup and told us to start digging.... even on FEX 1. I guess it just depends on who you're working with.

Raptor2216

Don't count on being able to pull this sh*t. In no way am I trying to sound like a hardass, but our SPC's would have crapped all over this little setup and told us to start digging.... even on FEX 1. I guess it just depends on who you're working with.

It was an admin bivoac...the tactical stuff didn't come until FEX III.