• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TIMS Tips and Tricks

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Enjoy. If you know of any other tips or tricks that should go in here, let me know.

Attachments

• TIMS Tips and Tricks.doc
    77.5 KB · Views: 269

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just a word of warning on your last tip about the NSS... Not sure if it's the same in HTs, but in VTs, that final score trick didn't actually work. Ops Admin thought it was the answer (if it's the same one they were looking at), but as it turned out, it yielded an incorrect NSS. This was pre-upgrade.

Your mileage may vary.

Rg9

pilot
Yes, that ratio will help you determine about what NSS you're at, and I actually did a running total for myself just to see where I was (already discussed elsewhere, but I think not knowing ABOUT where you are, at least compared to other studs, sucks). As mentioned, however, NSS changes month to month, so you'll never be exact.

In VT-2, the 50 break was around 1.139 or so a few months ago, 1.141 in June, and in July a 1.154 = 55 NSS (don't know the exact 50 break). It changes from squadron to squadron too. This is also assuming everyone had the same total graded items, which (if you look at the MPTS equation) has some weight, as well as your academics in Primary and API. So it's not a failsafe way, but should be relatively close.

If you really care near selection time (since RI's will bring it down a lot), calculate your ratio and compare it with guys who selected during previous weeks of the same month from your squadron. That should tell you ABOUT where you are.

Reb

Yes, that ratio will help you determine about what NSS you're at, and I actually did a running total for myself just to see where I was (already discussed elsewhere, but I think not knowing ABOUT where you are, at least compared to other studs, sucks). As mentioned, however, NSS changes month to month, so you'll never be exact.

In VT-2, the 50 break was around 1.139 or so a few months ago, 1.141 in June, and in July a 1.154 = 55 NSS (don't know the exact 50 break). It changes from squadron to squadron too. This is also assuming everyone had the same total graded items, which (if you look at the MPTS equation) has some weight, as well as your academics in Primary and API. So it's not a failsafe way, but should be relatively close.

If you really care near selection time (since RI's will bring it down a lot), calculate your ratio and compare it with guys who selected during previous weeks of the same month from your squadron. That should tell you ABOUT where you are.

How much is a lot? Say if I'm sitting at a 1.20 at the end of the Contact block (through C4602), should I expect a drop to 1.5 or lower through RIs?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How much is a lot? Say if I'm sitting at a 1.20 at the end of the Contact block (through C4602), should I expect a drop to 1.5 or lower through RIs?

Well, a 1.2 to a 1.5 would be a raise, and if you have a 1.5 you'd be damn near an 80 :icon_tong

You can probably expect a drop of 0.05-0.08. That would depend a lot on forms, since if you do good at those you can rock some high scores on that. RI's are tough on the ratio just because MIF goes to almost all 4's.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't waste your time with the running total. It's pretty much garbage and the numbers vary by squadron as well. I got a 50 with a TIMS ratio way different from what was posted above.

It's not worth the time, you'll only drive yourself nuts with it. Study briefing items.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
It's not worth the time, you'll only drive yourself nuts with it. Study briefing items.

Quoted for truth.

BIs inflate your ratio early on. Later, you will watch it plummet through RIs. I worried too much about my ratio and NSS, etc. If I had spent an extra 30 minutes a night studying briefing items or chair-flying, I would have done much better in Primary.