• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TIMS at home

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
ASAP isn't a TIMSism. Yellow sheets should (IMO) always be done in MX control since I could always cheat, ask for help if needed or if something came up talk to maintenance about, plus they need to have those yellow sheets complete in order to close out during the day so if they are stuck there waiting on some solo who forgot to fill out his paperwork and went home, forgot and is a half-case deep... you can see where I'm going. Just trust me, get in the habit of doing them right away.

As for leave, why isn't the TRACOM not using e-leave? I thought that was a Navy-wide thing now? It's one of the few systems that makes things faster.

Well out in the fleet, in typical Navy fashion, e-leave now means we do leave on the computer via NSIPS AND we route a paper copy..... So a techonological advancement just means we do twice the work now. Nice.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well out in the fleet, in typical Navy fashion, e-leave now means we do leave on the computer via NSIPS AND we route a paper copy..... So a techonological advancement just means we do twice the work now. Nice.

Not only that, but we have to do OOMA as well as SHARP post-flight every time.........if the military is good at one thing, it is useless redundancy

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not only that, but we have to do OOMA as well as SHARP post-flight every time.........if the military is good at one thing, it is useless redundancy

Yeah, I forgot about that one. But now that I'll be logging OOMA, that's going to be awesome.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, we route paper too, but the two times I've used e-leave, it still was faster then previous commands. My point was why is the tracom always using different systems for the same crap? Be it TIMS or whatever. Or was TIMS forced down our throat by the AF since we all have to play nice in the sandbox and let the AF decide everything?

KBayDog

Whoa....whoa....whoa....whoa....whoa..... The Marine Corps is famous for being the ones with the woefully outdated, "That's the way we've always done it" procedures. Do you realize that you're giving two examples of how the Marine Corps isn't as archaic as the Navy?

1. Our leave is, and has been for quite some time, 100% paperless.

2. All flights are logged in MSHARP. After the flights are logged, Maintenance Admin downloads the MSHARP data into OOMA.

(Granted, we went from 100% "Blue Screen of Death" NALCOMIS, to 100% OOMA, to 50% MSHARP/50% OOMA, to 100% MSHARP...but somehow "they" figured it out. Now, if M&RA could just un-f*ck APES and iAPS...and DTS could just die an excruciating death... :icon_rage )

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My question is: why the hell has the Navy, in its infinite wisdom, decided to make everything electronic? I mean as a SEA-GOING service, a good portion of its personnel are on goddamn BOATS with basically no usable internet bandwidth above email (and even that sometimes is skosh). So when I email admin at HG and ask them to take care of something and I get an email back saying "Sir, you can do that yourself if you go on DTS/FLTTMPS/bullshit Navy website", I am baffled as to why they think I could possibly get on the internet and do it myself. I don't think the YNs/PSs have figured out that there's a REASON they don't deploy and when someone on det asks them to do something, it's not because we woke up and decided to make their day suck.

KBayDog

I mean as a SEA-GOING service, a good portion of its personnel are on goddamn BOATS with basically no usable internet bandwidth above email...

Something that was made painfully clear to us on our last MEU: Facebook is our #1 Naval priority. No kidding - Facebook access was given 0-6 level attention, and was pretty much non-negotiable (apparently it's a huge morale issue). MEU S-6 guys pulled the bandwidth data, and it didn't lie. Facebook was dominating the bandwidth on the ship.

We're just as bad with our over-reliance on web-based applications, and the boat's already crappy bandwidth - combined with the Facebook dominance - made it next to impossible to do that thing known as "troop welfare": Fitness Reports and awards. At least the S-1 bubbas had (spotty) 3270 access, so admin/pay issues weren't as big a deal.

Anyway, I guess ruining Marines' careers is an acceptable price to pay in order to let sailors update their Facebook statuses (especially when they're supposed to be, you know, operating a war ship...)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Whoa....whoa....whoa....whoa....whoa..... The Marine Corps is famous for being the ones with the woefully outdated, "That's the way we've always done it" procedures. Do you realize that you're giving two examples of how the Marine Corps isn't as archaic as the Navy?

2. All flights are logged in MSHARP. After the flights are logged, Maintenance Admin downloads the MSHARP data into OOMA.

(Granted, we went from 100% "Blue Screen of Death" NALCOMIS, to 100% OOMA, to 50% MSHARP/50% OOMA, to 100% MSHARP...but somehow "they" figured it out. Now, if M&RA could just un-f*ck APES and iAPS...and DTS could just die an excruciating death... :icon_rage )

This must be in that mythical fleet I keep hearing about. In the TRACOM (at least in my squadron) we have to submit leave via TIMS, MOL and paper.

KBayDog

This must be in that mythical fleet I keep hearing about. In the TRACOM (at least in my squadron) we have to submit leave via TIMS, MOL and paper.

"The Fleet" is much like high school.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'm guessing that you're not actually submitting for leave through TIMS, but that you're sniveling for your leave in TIMS. It's no different in the fleet.

1. Submit leave (via MOL or eLeave).
2. Snivel (via SHARP, MSHARP or snivel log)
3. Utilize paper if your command/department requires it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

And I'm still wondering why it is taking the Navy so long to get such a simple thing figured out....

This is the way that it should work, but in my squadron, aircrew still do the OOMA.....then make the MSHARP match the OOMA entry, so that there isn't any discrepancy. Just the icing on the cake after you have spent 25 mins waiting for an MU/DSU/AMU mx brick to download (ok the AMU only takes about 10 mins). I heard somewhere that in the AF, the pilot just tells mx control t/o and land times, turns in the brick, and leaves.....must be nice :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And I'm still wondering why it is taking the Navy so long to get such a simple thing figured out....

Keep in mind "the Navy" didn't actually ask any of the operators how they want eLeave to work, so the operators, who are still responsible for "issues" that go along with leave have to come up with some half-assed procedure to make sure they're covered while still implementing "procedure."

This is the way that it should work, but in my squadron, aircrew still do the OOMA.....then make the MSHARP match the OOMA entry, so that there isn't any discrepancy. Just the icing on the cake after you have spent 25 mins waiting for an MU/DSU/AMU mx brick to download (ok the AMU only takes about 10 mins).

Sucks to be you, then. I finish flying and I go log a SHARP. Done.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Gatordev (and his squadron) have it right - SHARP data is designed to be downloaded directly into OOMA with no second step required by aircrew. If you're doing it differently, you're just causing ass-pain for yourself. SHARP also worked with NALCOMIS, but it's easier to task the aircrew to duplicate/match their entries than get the AZs onto SHARP to pull the data.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Gatordev (and his squadron) have it right - SHARP data is designed to be downloaded directly into OOMA with no second step required by aircrew. If you're doing it differently, you're just causing ass-pain for yourself. SHARP also worked with NALCOMIS, but it's easier to task the aircrew to duplicate/match their entries than get the AZs onto SHARP to pull the data.

Granted we just recently transitioned to OOMA, but this is the standard for all aircrew @ my sqdn.....sad face