• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TIMS at home

bigbeartr57

I heard one of the instructors talking about how he could get TIMS at home as a CITRIX client as long as you had a CAC reader. Does anyone know where I can access TIMS? I already have a CAC reader and CITRIX.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's the integrated training, scheduling and grading system used in the TRACOM. You had an early iteration of it at Corpus and it may or may not have been online when you were at the HTs.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's the integrated training, scheduling and grading system used in the TRACOM. You had an early iteration of it at Corpus and it may or may not have been online when you were at the HTs.

Ah, Roger that. I think we did use it in corpus. Sounds vaguely familiar. Concur on "why would you want to"? Quick lesson from a new-ish fleet guy: avoid bringing work home with you at all costs. You study enough at home. Heck, try to avoid work at work! (read: avoid oak leaves)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Sounds like it could be cool...would you rather click through a CAI as fast as possible in a computer lab on base so you can go home and actually read the material, or would you rather have it up on your computer with your pubs out going through both at the same time to maximize learning (and you can drink a beer while doing as such if you so desire - something that is frowned upon in the CAI lab on base).

Granted, ideally you should show up to do a CAI with all the applicable pubs and do all that stuff (minus the beer) at the lab - but I found that that wasn't really the case a lot of times, and with all the talking, the computer lab isn't ideal for learning anyway.

Not that I care one way or the other, just saying that there would be a use for having TIMS at home for CAI purposes.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Getting a heads up on potential flights/duty before the schedule comes out is pretty sweet.

Worth the ~5 mins it takes to boot up CITRIX and TIMS? We used it on the Det, not exactly a speed demon from offsite. My time is more valuable than that. I know what event I'll probably have the next day, just not the time. "Sweet" is then when the schedule rolls out online at 6ish and I check it from my iPhone at the bar.

gotta_fly

pilot
Sounds like it could be cool...would you rather click through a CAI as fast as possible in a computer lab on base .... or would you rather have it up on your computer with your pubs out going through both at the same time to maximize learning?

Who says there can't be a compromise? Why can't he click through it as fast as possible on his computer at home?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Getting a heads up on potential flights/duty before the schedule comes out is pretty sweet.
Except when the schedule changes from what TIMS had listed at 10am, (shocking, I know) you don't check the posted flight schedule, and you miss your brief.

So to alleviate this you end up checking the posted flight schedule anyway, thus negating any potential time you would have saved by "knowing" what the flight schedule will be early in the morning.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Who says there can't be a compromise? Why can't he click through it as fast as possible on his computer at home?

This would seem to be the answer. I never did CAI's on TIMS, so didn't realize you could get to them on there. Since I have always despised CAIs, I could see this potentially being worth the effort. Then again, if it worked as slow loading the training as it did trying to do a grade sheet through Citrix, it might not be worth it.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
You won't be able to access the CAI's just because you have access to TIMS. The computer itself needed local software installed on it to be able to launch the academic portions on it. Can all of this be overcome with the proper Citrix account and permissions? Possibly.
Is it worth the massive effort to find the right guy(s) to set up your Citrix account, then the other guy(s) to ensure all the permissions are set correctly? Probably not.

My gut feeling is that yes, you could get access to TIMS without the CAIs with slight less effort then reversing the spin of the planet, but to get access to the CAIs would take a massive effort and would probably result in someone telling you to go get f*cked because your request makes someone else do a crapload of work just so you don't have to throw on a flight suit and drive to base. It's one thing for an IP to have home access, but a student has no other excuse then I want to be able to work and drink at the same time...not really a compelling argument.

Easiest solution? Throw on a flight suit and drive to base to do CAIs. If you want to see the schedule build, make friends with the SDO and give him or her a call, or just wait till 1700.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I know people who have it on their laptops. It has been pretty useful on occasion to do stuff like ASAPS, NAVFLIRs, Leave/Liberty requests and such.

Day-to-day, I'd say get it if you can. Why not? It doesn't hurt.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
ASAP isn't a TIMSism. Yellow sheets should (IMO) always be done in MX control since I could always cheat, ask for help if needed or if something came up talk to maintenance about, plus they need to have those yellow sheets complete in order to close out during the day so if they are stuck there waiting on some solo who forgot to fill out his paperwork and went home, forgot and is a half-case deep... you can see where I'm going. Just trust me, get in the habit of doing them right away.

As for leave, why isn't the TRACOM not using e-leave? I thought that was a Navy-wide thing now? It's one of the few systems that makes things faster.