• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time out of the cockpit.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I got a quick question for everyone: Is there a valid reason to not schedule a student for long periods of time? I'm currently in primary and "recently" completed my C42XX block. Well, by recently I mean a week ago. Here's the skinny on my situation.

I began with 4201, ok flight, not my best, then 4202 the next day, much better. Then there was a 10 day stint where schedules NEVER scheduled me to fly. I got duty tossed in there a bit, but mostly I was just "not scheduled". Now, I'm not complaining, I love days off but, that seemed a bit much. Then I came back and did my 4203, passed with no issues, but definitely felt rusty. Then, there was another 14 day stint where I was just never scheduled to fly. (ok, I was once or twice, but the weather was horrendeous.) After which I came back, flew my mando warmup, then an optional, then the real deal. That was last Thursday. Now it's been 7 days and I'm still not scheduled to fly my check ride.

I'm not trying to complain, days off are nice, and I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but spending that much time out of the plane really hasn't done my skills any good. My studying definitely hasn't suffered though.

And when I ask instructors if they have any idea why, they just kinda shrug and say don't whine about days off (which I expect most of you to do too.)

So, anyone here have any thoughts on why someone would get that much unwarranted time off?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
When I was in HT-18 they specifically instructed us to talk to our flight leaders if we weren't scheduled for more than one day. While a couple days here and there was normal for me in primary, if I'd had a break that long I would've talked to my flight leader. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if you stopped in and asked your flight leader.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Any chance your squadron is running low on hours, and you are not a "priority student"? Its happening in VT-4 right now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My guess is what Bubba said. But greg's got it right, get the straight skinny from your flight leader. Obviously go in asking an honest question and don't whine about it. He'll see the days off, and if there wasn't a reason, he'll know it was a bogus thing to do. Unfortunately, there's not much he can do about it now.

I'm really guessing it's an hours thing, though.

Rubiks06

pilot
Fiscal year....$$$.....i know two of the squadrons here are not flying friday because of this.....

BurghGuy

Yeah, the reason I let it go so long without mentioning anything is because it's the end of the fiscal year and moneys tight. It just adds more stress to my preflight mental game.

We've been having no fly fridays pretty regularly the past month or so, that's also been part of it. Guys in the class behind me are passing me up, so are guys who went med down for like a month, which is whats really prompting the questioning.

And definitely won't go in whinning about it. Who whines about days off... really? Like I said, I really don't mind, I know I can handle it. But it just adds one more thing to think about before my checkride... "Am I fresh enough?"

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah go bug them what is the worst that happens you get a "we are out of hours but good on you for pushing to fly"

Rubiks06

pilot
seriously i joined the navy to fly....i dont think theres anything wrong with being pissed about not flying......though we got the lecture the other day...and im sure the fleet guys can attest....once we are done the training the days off especially while deployed go waaay down....

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
seriously i joined the navy to fly....i dont think theres anything wrong with being pissed about not flying......though we got the lecture the other day...and im sure the fleet guys can attest....once we are done the training the days off especially while deployed go waaay down....

As an IP, I understand...but seriously look at joining any service to SERVE. If it means being a DIVO at your first tour, you best put your heart and soul into those guys you've been tasked with leading. It's what you're there for...not your job. Flying and becoming the master warrior on whatever flight platform is no where close to as complex as your typical sailor's life...but enjoy both. That's where the true happiness comes in your first tour.

I've gotten a chance to see both sides of the deal...I miss the enlisted guys of my first tour, but have empowered myself with practical teaching on this tour.

GL. Be safe and don't fvck it up.

~D

BurghGuy

Figured I'd give a quick update. Finished my C4390 today, finally. Went pretty good. Soloing tomorrow morning.