• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

time - my weakness

themongol

i just took the astb practice test on the arco book. I was unable to finish the math/verbal and the mechanical comp in time. I think this is my biggest problem.

Is this common? What can I do to improve the speed? Any help would be appreciated. thanx

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
i just took the astb practice test on the arco book. I was unable to finish the math/verbal and the mechanical comp in time. I think this is my biggest problem.

Is this common? What can I do to improve the speed? Any help would be appreciated. thanx

Keep taking the practice tests until you get your speed up.

C-Mike

I took the ASTB within the last two months, I agree, no calc on the ASTB. I studied quite a bit and still didn't complete the math portion of the test. I'd say in preparation give it a good effort, however at some point you aren't likely to greatly improve with continued practice on the math. For the most part, you're a math wiz, or you're not. I did the whole Honors/advanced math thing in High school, however only Calc. one for a business degree in college.

A word of advice when taking the test, instead of flagging questions you don't know and moving on, mark your best guess and flag the question. It came down to the wire for me, and with the computer/server lag and 45 seconds to go, I wasn't able to fill in the blanks as I would have on a paper test and ended up leaving several of the math questions blank. All in all I did alright, pulled a 60. I definitely owe a bit of that score to the search feature, and all the knowledgeable folks on AirWarriors. The Arco book was helpful as well. I spent plenty of time reading past threads. A definite thanks goes out to all the guys/gals who are sincerely willing to share their knowledge and time to help the "wanna-Bs." Thanks.

themongol

Well, it's just i as thought: the only solution to finishing on time is more and more practice. I was hoping there might be some really good tip to speed up do the math and mechanical portion.

To mike C: you mention about flagging the question so coming back to it later when you have time. Are you saying we can go back to the question even if we're taking the computer version? (i haven't taken the astb yet so i wouldn't know)

nicknight

took it yesterday no calc at all its arithmetic, algebra, and geometry I used an old SAT computer program to practice my math and even that washarder than the ASTB questions I would recommend doing the same just to practice doing arithmetic in your head it will speed up the test taking time if your not busy writing everything down

And mongol there is a little control panel on the bottom of the test One question per page with the total number of questions on the bottom you can click on the question number at any time during that portion of the test you can flag a question and it will highlight that question number so you can go back and click on it later there are arrows to scroll through the questions and there is a clock to show the time you have left for that portion of the test MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THAT CLOCK it literally saves you if you check it i didnt get that down till after the math portion and in doing so left 3 answers blank